What's new

is this a clipped planchet?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this one? if so it is my first one I have ever found...........does it carry any value?
 

Attachments

  • S6303472.webp
    S6303472.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0
That's a hard one. Usually on a clipped coin you can put another coin in the
clip and it will fit. I think it might be, but the clip looks a little like it was post
mint. Don't toss it back until you take it to a dealer.

I am curious about the value to. I have found a number of these over the years.

Congrats and good luck.
 
That is a genuine clip, you can see the Blakesley effect on the opposite rim. Very nice find.
 
That's funny that you just posted that. I found what i think might be a clipped planchet on a nickel and was just about to post it, then saw your post. Very nice find Goes4ever.
 
I had a coin dealer give me two dollars for a very similar half dollar.
The Trezurhunter.
 
It's definitely a genuine clip. In fact, it's a double clip. The other one can be seen at 12 o' clock. I think it's probably worth $10-20.


Nice find!



-Paul
 
what is the Blakesley effect? there is a small clip on the top as well
 
no it is is actually a .48 cent half- due to the ongoing Budget Deficit they are cutting corners even in round coins.
 
Found one like this a month or so ago. Yours has two which makes it even nicer. Hang on to it. Not worth a whole lot (5-10 bucks) but definately a nice addition to a collection.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom