What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this a coin?

lrgoodger

Full Member
Joined
May 2, 2023
Messages
175
Reaction score
1,584
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
It looks like a fort on it
20250429_202346.webp
. It has a tower with a flag on top and another pole with a flag on it to the right. There is nothing on the back side. Diameter is just over 1". Thickness is just over .030". It is very thin and bent. It appears to have fine denticles around the edge. Anyone ever seen anything like this? The back side shows no details.
 

Attachments

  • 20250429_202612.webp
    20250429_202612.webp
    586.3 KB · Views: 78
Souvenir or trade token/coin?
 
Upvote 0
I don't see it being any kind of coin or token, the depiction of the building coupled with the dotted edge seems too decorative/stylistic to me
 
Upvote 0
The engraving looks hand done. I'd guess it's a plain button that someone put a personal illustration on. Maybe a soldier using his fort for a model? It's really neat and I hope you can get a more specific ID.
 
Upvote 0
Well, that's different - good luck with the ID !
 
Upvote 0
Neat find. It looks like a one-off to me which you may never trace unless someone recognises the building(s). Doesn't look like a fort or a castle to me.

Tower.webp
 
Upvote 1
Neat find. It looks like a one-off to me which you may never trace unless someone recognises the building(s). Doesn't look like a fort or a castle to me.

View attachment 2205638
Red-Coat, great minds think alike! Last night I pasted that image into Powerpoint, adjusted some settings, tried an image search, then a keyword search. Nothing close appeared. Still its a cool find.
 
Upvote 1
Red-Coat, great minds think alike! Last night I pasted that image into Powerpoint, adjusted some settings, tried an image search, then a keyword search. Nothing close appeared. Still its a cool find.

When I searched the enhanced image and added the search terms 'Cassopolis' and 'Michigan' (assuming that's where @lrgoodger found it), images of the Cass County Court House came up as potential matches.

I don't think that's what it is though, and the search was probably disproportionally skewed by the additional terms. There's a vague resemblance to the tower the court house has, but that's about as far as it goes.
 
Upvote 1
When I searched the enhanced image and added the search terms 'Cassopolis' and 'Michigan' (assuming that's where @lrgoodger found it), images of the Cass County Court House came up as potential matches.

I don't think that's what it is though, and the search was probably disproportionally skewed by the additional terms. There's a vague resemblance to the tower the court house has, but that's about as far as it goes.
Red-Coat that is a step forward. I even looked at the court house from different angles on Google Earth and churches in the area - but still no match. Looks like the building(s) are next to a cliff or rock wall and overlooking a river or body of water. To the right of the smaller tower there may be a water wheel - so perhaps part of a mill(?). Or just a vivid imagination!
 

Attachments

  • Mill.webp
    Mill.webp
    160.5 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom