Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking the dog this morning and saw this snake in the gutter. After poking it with a stick a few times, I found out it was dead.
Of course, being the jokester :icon_jokercolor: that I am, I carried it home and laid it next to the newspaper in the driveway. ;D
When my wife & daughter came home they freaked! They wouldn't even drive up the driveway with it there. :tongue3:
My question now is.........is this a Copperhead or water snake?
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-031S.JPG
    MVC-031S.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 4,818
  • MVC-032S.JPG
    MVC-032S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 6,197

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Is this a Copperhead?

Looks like it to me...It is a pit viper...you can tell by the shape of his head. Here is a pic of a copperhead. Another way to tell is to look at his eyes..If they are round then it is a non poisonous snake..if the eyes are kinda slit looking then it is a viper...

Attachments

• copperhead.jpg
    copperhead.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 40,163
Upvote 0

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All I know is that is a %$#@!! piece of #%^& #%%^^!! that would scare the ever living #$&@! right out of me. Thats what it is. Now quit @^%$@%$ around with that #^%%$ thing, silly a$$. :tongue3: ;D

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

72cheyenne said:
All I know is that is a %$#@!! piece of #%^& #%%^^!! that would scare the ever living #$&@! right out of me. Thats what it is. Now quit @^%$@%$ around with that #^%%$ thing, silly a$$. :tongue3: ;D

That is just about the same verbiage I used when I ran across this one!

Attachments

• snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 5,400
Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Triangular shaped head is indication of poisonous snake.

Wouldn't even drive up the driveway ;D Your :icon_jokercolor: worked.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yep!! That's a copperhead. The color of the top of the head varies from place to place and the time of year. My son used to tan the skins and get $40 a piece for them. They make nice hat bands!! Tony

Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

My wife said it's a good snake now. ;D

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I say it's a good snake too. Yep, it's a copperhead. I hope your wife puts you in the doghouse for a week. Big, Bad MM :violent1:

:D RR

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone for the info & replies.

Is there any way I can preserve this snake in a jar? What is the liquid you see them soaking in museums, and can anyone buy that liquis?
Thanks,
MM

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Is there any way I can preserve this snake in a jar? What is the liquid you see them soaking in museums, and can anyone buy that liquis?
Thanks,
MM

I believe you're thinking of formahyde. Why would you want a pickled snake? Ugh! Sound likes you're asking for trouble with the ladies of the house. ;D :D

:wink: RR

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure but isn't it alcohol or formaldehyde? Are you planning to trick someone else ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

River Rat said:
ModernMiner said:
Thanks,
MM

I believe you're thinking of formahyde. Why would you want a pickled snake? Ugh! Sound likes you're asking for trouble with the ladies of the house. ;D :D

I was going to donate it to our local nature park. They have classes there for the school kids to learn about nature. My son donated a beautiful butterfly & moth collection to them years ago and they LOVED it.
-MM-

IronSpike said:
Not sure but isn't it alcohol or formaldehyde? Are you planning to trick someone else ;D

IS,
I know I have alcohol. :thumbsup: I don't know if anyone can purchase formaldehyde?
-MM-

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Believe it or not a dead snake may still have poison. I have heard of someone poisoned by a recently killed Moccasin. Dont fool around with a poisonous snake, dead or alive, its not funny.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

ModernMiner said:
River Rat said:
ModernMiner said:
Thanks,
MM

Gin works well!

I was going to donate it to our local nature park. They have classes there for the school kids to learn about nature. My son donated a beautiful butterfly & moth collection to them years ago and they LOVED it.
-MM-

IronSpike said:

IS,
I know I have alcohol. :thumbsup: I don't know if anyone can purchase formaldehyde?
-MM-

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

If you dont believe me I googled this tidbit. http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...te+dead+snake+poison&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

A snake's detached head can immediately act by reflex and potentially bite. The bite can induce just as bad an effect as a live snake bite.[10] Dead snakes are also incapable of regulating the venom they inject, so a bite from a dead snake can often contain large amounts of venom.

Google dead snake poison

I think the venom is still inside the snake. I have played with snakes all my life but I would not fool with a poisonous snake dead or alive.
..esp with your family. Dispose of it...bury it. Or cut the head off and keep the skin. Myself I just dont like poisonous snakes.

JUST BEING SCRATCHED BY THE FANGS OF A DEAD POISONOUS SNAKE CAN CAUSE SERIOUS HARM.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Another tidbit but I guess you get the point. http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/snake-and-lizard-bites-topic-overview

...And a dead snake, even one with a severed head, can still bite and release venom by reflex action for up to 90 minutes after it dies. Even if you do not develop symptoms within 8 hours, continue to watch for symptoms for 2 weeks or more.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank god we have none of them over here :o I would never go detecting :'(

Upvote 0

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000

River Rat said:
ModernMiner said:
Thanks,
MM

I had one I "Pickled" and keep it for about 20 years until the skin around the eye started peeling away. I always made a interesting talking piece, plus I got a "A" at school for show and tell, once school officials decided to let me bring it. I used formaldehyde to preseve it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread