What's new

Is this a Guilford Yuma point?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2014
Messages
4,042
Reaction score
2,968
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
015.webp013.webp014.webp
Well, got skunked again this evening,we are finally starting to get a little rain,at least something good is going on here ,I just hope it last's,"for like a week or two :rolleyes:"Anyways, this point I found a little while back, I think it is a early archaic Guilford Yuma type?, from what I have seen so far It looks to have all the characteristics of one,but I wanted to ask you guys to know for sure.joe
 

Attachments

  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    295.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    315.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    322.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OOP's wrong pics on bottom.Can someone tell me how to delete pics off of a thread?I can't figure it out.
 
Last edited:
Thats a nice Quartz piece. I think Guilford Yuma points are a lanceolate type, and the point in the pic appears to be a stemmed piece. Stemmed pieces from VA can be difficult to type. My best guess would be a Savannah River Narrow Stem,or maybe a Fishtail. Good luck, H.H.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Viking!I am gonna have too study into it some more now.When you say fishtail,are you talking about a fishtail yuma?I have seen them in this book I have, and they do look a little similar
 
Last edited:
It looks almost like an Orient Fishtail, it is a very nice find:thumbsup:
 
That is a nice quartz point most of mine are stemers I find. Once in a while different.
 
It's a swayback orient Savannah fish
 
That is a nice quartz point most of mine are stemers I find. Once in a while different.
thanks man,it is one of the better one's I have found.
 
What? You haven't heard of those first named in 1970 by Archie McGillicuddy? ...... Nice little find man
 
Could be a Halifax


I thought the same when I first looked at it, I may have even said Halifax on a previous thread, but seeing it with a scale it seems a little large for a Halifax. I have found a few in this part of VA and the sizes are between 1"-1.5". It could be a large Halifax, lots of them found in central VA.
 
I've found 4 Quartz Halifax in the same spot recently. They were all 1.5" . Maybe it is a transitional type.
 
If it were found in the Northeast, it would be an Orient Fishtail. There is a range in base shape on Orient's. Your's most resembles the last photo here. Not sure if the distribution includes more then far northern Virginia, but as others have noted, it does look like one.

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    130.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    235.5 KB · Views: 105
They aren't guilford Yuma points. I'll try to post a pic of one for you.
 
The white point is a Yuma.

image-3696363333.webp

I have better yumas at home. I thought I had pictures of all of them in my phone. Guess not!
 
What? You haven't heard of those first named in 1970 by Archie McGillicuddy? ...... Nice little find man
Thanks man!Actually I haven't heard of that until now.I have heard of some Savanna types.I am still somewhat new to native artifact collecting.I thought you where just messin with me!
 
Last edited:
If it were found in the Northeast, it would be an Orient Fishtail. There is a range in base shape on Orient's. Your's most resembles the last photo here. Not sure if the distribution includes more then far northern Virginia, but as others have noted, it does look like one.

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection
That is the base!I was just looking at the Yuma point NCfieldhunter posted,are both base types considered a concave base?
 
Thanks man!Actually I haven't heard of that until now.I have heard of some Savanna types.I am still somewhat new to native artifact collecting.I thought you where just messin with me!

I was ;-)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom