Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Saw this laying in some plowed-up cane field today. Flint is very seldom found down here in any form in the fields. I will post another photo in a bit of the piece held up to the light, but it is very smoky looking when the light shines through it.

Dug in a Colonial trading post site where 11 Spanish Silvers have been recovered by us since mid-January.

Regards,

Buckles

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 171

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_1312[1][1].JPG
    IMG_1312[1][1].JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better know it.:icon_thumleft: It's a british flint as well.You can see some I've found here...............
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...hree-years-finds-displays-displays-build.html
It's called british black flint...................
UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD
Take Care,
Pete

Awesome! I had just said to Shane today that it was odd that we hadn't found a lock plate, hammer, side plate, or flint yet. Then within an hour I looked down and saw it in the field. I can't wait until they plow again. It will be pipe stem and pottery central there. Plus a chance at another flint or trade bead.

Thanks for the quick ID, my friend. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better know it.:icon_thumleft: It's a british flint as well.You can see some I've found here...............
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...hree-years-finds-displays-displays-build.html
Take Care,
Pete

Awesome! I had just said to Shane today that it was odd that we hadn't found a lock plate, hammer, side plate, or flint yet. Then within an hour I looked down and saw it in the field. I can't wait until they plow again. It will be pipe stem and pottery central there. Plus a chance at another flint or trade bead.

-Buckles
Sure thing,glad to help.I took you some better shots so you can train your eyes a little.You should also be in a good place to find the Honey color/french blonde type as well Buck.These are the types & colors to look for.I have more boxed up here somewhere but no need to look cause they are always these colors purdy much.
Beaubassin-Fort Lawrence Public Archaeology Experience: Gunflints
Good Luck & Take Care,
Pete

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 722
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take Care,
Pete

-Buckles
Sure thing,glad to help.I took you some better shots so you can train your eyes a little.You should also be in a good place to find the Honey color/french blonde type as well Buck.These are the types & colors to look for.I have more boxed up here somewhere but no need to look cause they are always these colors purdy much.
Beaubassin-Fort Lawrence Public Archaeology Experience: Gunflints
Good Luck & Take Care,
Pete

That photo helps a lot! I will be on the lookout now for flint. There is just so much to try and eyeball on the ground here. But any flint in the area we're hunting is such a rarity, unlike other places I've hunted, that it should stick out like a sore thumb. I'm super happy to get a nice find for the display case today; the gun flint is a good consolation prize for me having to watch Shane dig Spanish #11 from the field today. (He will post tomorrow.) My turn on another Spanish next time! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat find Buckles! Pete, how do you tell the difference between a gun flint and a piece of regular square flint? Breezie

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find Buckles! Pete, how do you tell the difference between a gun flint and a piece of regular square flint? Breezie
Hey breezie,first it would be rare in nature for any rock to be square & would draw my eye sight.Otherwise the size the knapping & color all would play a part.As for here on the coast any rock stands out.But flint really does because it's not a native rock & would had to have been brought here either by indian Or settlers to be used for tool making.Most flints have a ramped shape.But not all & some could be broke/used pieces which give a different look then the norm.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey breezie,first it would be rare in nature for any rock to be square & would draw my eye sight.Otherwise the size the knapping & color all would play a part.As for here on the coast any rock stands out.But flint really does because it's not a native rock & would had to have been brought here either by indian Or settlers to be used for tool making.Most flints have a ramped shape.But not all & some could be broke/used pieces which give a different look then the norm.

Thanks for your reply Pete. In my area of NC, I have found pieces of carved flint (might not have been flint) that were square/rectangular in shape, but I thought they were broken arrowheads or Indian scrapers. So, my question should have been, how do I tell the difference between a gun flint, and an Indian scraper? (I'm really having problems with this new TNet software. I can't see all of your reply, nor can I see all of what I'm typing. I don't know if it's just my computer screen or if everyone's is like this, but the typing area with a quote reply is so small.) Thanks again, Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Buck, I'm pretty sure i picked a piece of that out there before thinking it was more pottery, glass or what not. I may still have it or may have thrown it away. I will have to look now and be on the look out for some :) Congrats :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions