BuckleBoy said:
Lucas said:
Kerosene and tombac, Yup & Yup. Nice ID, give yourself a green check!
Agreed.
Tombacs had a rather narrow date range, if I recall. Late 1700s almost exclusively. Of course, they were used until they broke and fell to the ground or were tossed out--so even a date of 1820s is not out of the question if you're looking to find a time frame for your site.
Thanks guys
Yeah I am looking to date this site and based on what I found yesterday I'm really not sure what I have. I'm going to put a post in todays finds later tonight after some cleanup and try to get some ideas.
Here is what I found yesterday, this site is a half mile into the woods (at least in any direction) and the area was farmland 100+ years ago give or take a few years. Searching about 60 acres or so, within a 15x15 foot square I've found
Tombac Button
Lantern pieces x5 now. one looks like the one above so I believe they are from 2 different lanterns
Musketball
Back of a button that reads Extra and another word I can't make out yet
A strange bullet that has 3 rings, but is smaller than other CW bullets I've found, but one side is completely smooth.
A thimble (tin I believe)
Harmonica reed
3 Pieces of 2 clay pipes
Another lead bullet with no patina that I don't believe is pre 1900
some pieces of glass and ceramic
some concave metal disc (about the size of a quarter) with a nail through it.
A wierd piece of metal that resembles one of those things golfers use to pull up divets on the greens. (but it can't possibly be that I think)
I get other tones in all metal mode in this area, but outside of it the land is virtually silent.