What's new

Is this a mortar?

Sum585

Greenie
Joined
Jan 28, 2017
Messages
10
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I noticed this rock in the woods on my property and wonder if it could be a mortar? It has a perfectly circular indentation on the top and when I flipped it over it had a smaller circular indentation on the bottom as well. I know that the Catawba lived in my area. I appreciate any help! Thank you!

unnamed-4.webp Top of the rock

unnamed-2.webp Bottom side

unnamed-3.webp
 
Upvote 0
Sure looks like it.
 
Being cupped on both sides I would say definite yes.
 
That is a real nice find:notworthy: and yes it is a mortar.
 
Are you North or South Carolina? It looks like a mortar to me too. Do you find other artifacts there too?

Thank you all for your feedback! I'm in South Carolina near Lake Wylie. I haven't found anything else yet, except what appears to be an old, barely visible stone wall on our back property line with a large stone pile behind it. I plan to look around the area more and will post if I find anything else!
 
Thank you all for your feedback! I'm in South Carolina near Lake Wylie. I haven't found anything else yet, except what appears to be an old, barely visible stone wall on our back property line with a large stone pile behind it. I plan to look around the area more and will post if I find anything else!
I've got a feeling you are going to find some pretty nice things too!
 
Nice find ..... May be worth doing some digging/sifting where you found mortar or check any nearby creeks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom