What's new

Is this a nothing?

rls2040

Full Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
180
Reaction score
103
Golden Thread
0
Disregard second pic,my bad. I found this on a lot I own on Lake Sinclair,near Milledgeville,Ga. Hardwood point with small creeks on each side and 300 yards +\_ from where Oconee River runs thru the lake.They people that owned the lot before me and they had river stones put on the driveways so there is no telling where they came from and this thing was one of them I feel sure....thanks,Carl

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-2001546200.webp
    image-2001546200.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 153
  • image-1151109367.webp
    image-1151109367.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3571971144.webp
    image-3571971144.webp
    41 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3845960880.webp
    image-3845960880.webp
    37 KB · Views: 136
  • image-870590392.webp
    image-870590392.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image-3430311117.webp
    image-3430311117.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 148
  • image-209130247.webp
    image-209130247.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2159375511.webp
    image-2159375511.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
On the first pic it sort of looked like there is some chipping like on a hammer stone but I can't tell for sure. I tried to post a pic but it won't let me for some reason.
 
Looks like your rock has been polished a bit, but other than that I do not see any man-made flaking.
 
Square corners,flat surfaces, etc. i thought it was just a rock but hardly ever see rocks that shape.Monsterrack if you Google that map you will find a downloadable map that is really nice,
 
I find square rocks all the time in the creeks. I havent seen too many square artifacts but have found 1. Ill show you. I think its a grinder like a mano but square. It has all sides but 1 that has been used.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3201.webp
    100_3201.webp
    167.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_3205.webp
    100_3205.webp
    226.7 KB · Views: 116
Post some more pictures of the artifacts that you find up that way?
 
Been picking them up for almost 50 years,I am a Registered Land Surveyor, so a large amount of that time was out in the field. I only recently started identifying them and it has and still is a lot of work but I love it,made many mistakes so far but the more I do the easier it is getting. Many time lately I have realized I ID some early on and I change them.most of my chert/flint points are from middle Ga,Washington County area, most of the quartz ones were found in Gwinnett County ,Ga.I lived up there from 1971to 2008,now I am back in God'sCounty,my opinion , along the Fall Line just south of the Piedmont...wrote to much ,sorry, ....Carl

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-107262052.webp
    image-107262052.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2106813302.webp
    image-2106813302.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image-1526350162.webp
    image-1526350162.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2289456115.webp
    image-2289456115.webp
    40 KB · Views: 145
  • image-380235249.webp
    image-380235249.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 126
thats a sweet pendant
 
Hey Rock, I live in middle Ga. And for the most part we don't have many rocks in the creeks,big boulders and sometimes solid rock bottom but nothing much like the river stones that you buy at landscaping places. This particular rock is probably just that but when I hold it it feels so right in my hand,for what I am not sure,pecking maybe,it is very smooth and angular 90 degrees +\_to 45 degrees+\_, no chipping at all but smooth like it had been held and rubbed a lot. If it DNA rock that's fine I just was curious and don't want it to be anything other than what it is. Probably gonna keep it either way but that's my problem to deal with.... Thanks for responding

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
I didn't put DNA in my last post,my iPad did that,I ain't that smart

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
Thanks Jamey ,it has a rattlesnake scribed on it,can't see it in pic very good

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
Thanks Jamey ,it has a rattlesnake scribed on it,can't see it in pic very good

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Very nice pendant for sure. I found a smooth rock last week that could go either way. Natural or Grinder, I still have it.
 
Jamey, here is another pendant,it has what looks sorta like a dragon fly on both sides but the scribing on both sides is not by anyone like the person that did the rattlesnake one, I doubt you vas see them very well in the pics....lCarl

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-3667893033.webp
    image-3667893033.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3533556542.webp
    image-3533556542.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 105
Hey GaRe bel1861,,, sent some more pics. Most quartz was found in Gwinnett County,Ga. most flint/chert were found in middle GA in Baldwin and Washington County..Carl

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-2066894109.webp
    image-2066894109.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image-726679741.webp
    image-726679741.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1866110655.webp
    image-1866110655.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3136466840.webp
    image-3136466840.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image-704990290.webp
    image-704990290.webp
    45.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2399987648.webp
    image-2399987648.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1278126237.webp
    image-1278126237.webp
    51.8 KB · Views: 84
Nice collection, you should start a new thread with those in there. No wonder I cant find any real killers you have already picked them up. Im in N GA
 
Thanks rock, I been picking them up for over 50 years but I just recently started trying to name them,big job,lot to learn! Been at it about 3 months and I am getting better but I get stumped quite often. I joined Peachstate Archeologly and have a friend Bobby Strange,also a longtime PSA member, who helps me but he is really busy so I mostly rely on internet.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
first pics are rocks, but you can send me all them gray ones with the holes and scratches on them. LOL.
Very nice pendants for sure!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom