Is this a pattern coin?

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is another one of those intersting finds, it came from a site today that I detected a couple times before. I wish they had note drilled holes in it. This coin was so hard to find in the dirt, I almost left the target do to the amount of broken pewter targets that blew my ears off when I came across one and there were many. I will post the rest of my finds on the todays finds. I look in one of my older coin book, there are similar coins in the pattern section. If any one can help with this one that be great.HH

Attachments

• PA170691.JPG
    PA170691.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 536
  • PA170710.JPG
    PA170710.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 584

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
They had a BUNCH of different fake (or imitation) gold coins back in the 50's or early 60's. Almost all were a 1 dollar gold, some were "California Gold" but all were bronze, maybe plated. The images were almost cartoonish and not well done, although some were a little better. Perhaps this is one of those. My mother-in-law had one and I went to my coin book first, then I went to the internet.....

Upvote 0

Richmond1

Nov 12, 2010
I think this is a Civil War Token from 1864. They are known as Patriotic tokens.

From Wikipedia: By 1862, the second year of the Civil War, government-issued coinage began vanishing from circulation. American citizens hoarded all coins with gold and silver, and eventually began hoarding copper-nickel cents as well. This made it extremely difficult for businesses to conduct transactions. In response, many merchants turned to private minters to fill the void left by the hoarded coins. The first of these privately minted tokens appeared in the autumn of 1862, by H. A. Ratterman, in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is estimated that by 1864, there were 25,000,000 Civil War tokens (nearly all redeemable for one cent) in circulation, consisting of approximately 7,000–8,000 varieties.[2]

If I find your exact token I will post. Nice find.

Upvote 0

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High Plains Digger said:
They had a BUNCH of different fake (or imitation) gold coins back in the 50's or early 60's. Almost all were a 1 dollar gold, some were "California Gold" but all were bronze, maybe plated. The images were almost cartoonish and not well done, although some were a little better. Perhaps this is one of those. My mother-in-law had one and I went to my coin book first, then I went to the internet.....

I agree with this. It is trying to imitate a gold dollar coin, or california gold most likely. It very well could be period, as there were counterfeits even then.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the imitation gold dollar, probably made for use in a bracelet. This would explain the holes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
l.cutler said:
I agree with the imitation gold dollar, probably made for use in a bracelet. This would explain the holes.
Thanks for the information on the coin, it is so small I would say 3/8 ", it would make sense for the holes to be for a bracelet, it could be a fake gold coin from the California gold rush time period. The coins that I have in my book do not mention the size, but the pattern coin started in 1866, I am hoping to find out more about this interesting coin, thanks for your knowledge. :coffee2:

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:

Agreed, made as jewelry, not to fool anyone as a fake.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread