What's new

Is this a possible Meteorite?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY ONLY MACHINES
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
4,939
Reaction score
4,609
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible this is a meteorite ? Dug on the beach, very heavy gave a signal but not much… dug it anyway.. doesn’t appear to be like anything I have ever dug before, not slag metal, and it’s full of holes like Swiss cheese 🤷🏼‍♂️
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3774.webp
    IMG_3774.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
  • 57A760EC-852E-43A7-9016-4391632DE94E.webp
    57A760EC-852E-43A7-9016-4391632DE94E.webp
    649.8 KB · Views: 93
It's most definitely a very cool find, no matter what it turns out to be. Sure looks
like a meteorite to me, but I'm certainly no expert.
 
Is it possible this is a meteorite ? Dug on the beach, very heavy gave a signal but not much… dug it anyway.. doesn’t appear to be like anything I have ever dug before, not slag metal, and it’s full of holes like Swiss cheese 🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it magnetic? Try a magnet on it.


Crow
 
It looks to me like slag glass. If it turns out to be attracted to a magnet, I'll revise that opinion.
It actually does NOT attract to a magnet 🧲 but that being said… why did my machine go off on it if it’s glass?
Also seems pretty heavy to be glass 🤷🏼‍♂️
 
It actually does NOT attract to a magnet 🧲 but that being said… why did my machine go off on it if it’s glass?
Also seems pretty heavy to be glass 🤷🏼‍♂️

Slag from glass-making typically has a specific gravity in the region of 2.9, which is similar to many basalts and a little higher than most granites. If it is glass slag, it won’t have set off your detector unless it has some metallic impurities trapped within it, or possibly if it’s slag from leaded glass (depending on your detector settings). The latter could have a significantly higher S.G. than quoted above.
 
Slag from glass-making typically has a specific gravity in the region of 2.9, which is similar to many basalts and a little higher than most granites. If it is glass slag, it won’t have set off your detector unless it has some metallic impurities trapped within it, or possibly if it’s slag from leaded glass (depending on your detector settings). The latter could have a significantly higher S.G. than quoted above.
I’m using the DEUS II, with elliptical coil and EXTREME sensitivity… so who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️
 
What is the inclusion? Quartz?
 
A meteorite wouldn't have holes maybe dimples.
 
I know this is WAY off in left field... but could it be a fossilized bone of some sort ?
Bones have pockets like that and being fossilized it would be pretty heavy...

Just so you know, there is no basis for this hypothesis other than I thought it kinda looked like the inside of a bone..
:dontknow:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom