Is this a Shaker chair?

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious... Is this is a Shaker chair? It's old - probably 1800s. It's relatively lightweight... possible tiger wood or maple? Any guesses or any help identifying it is welcome? Thx for your input!
dscn0388.jpg dscn0391_00.jpg dscn0392.jpg DSCN0400[1].JPG

Last edited:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find Congrats! It is definitely a very old chair. You can tell by the slight crack on the back of the back rest due to dryness and the nail used. The caning of that chair is nice and in very good shape for an older chair like that, unless of course it had been re-caned at some point. It is made of Tiger maple also known as curly maple. This type of wood furniture reached it peak in manufacturing in the colonies during the 18th century. As for it being a Shaker chair, I am not really sure as it is more primitive in style? Could be a pilgrim chair perhaps? Either way, I would take it to an antique furniture appraiser as those can be work a LOT of money!

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Shaker rush-seat chairs will almost always have turned legs which extend a few inches above the height of the seat.
The seat on this looks like what you would see on a Hitchcock chair, but other aspects of it aren't that... so I don't know name for the style... just "primitive". But that's just my take on it, and I would suspect there are numerous folks here with more in depth knowledge of such things than myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I found several old handmade chairs in a barn in Florida including a handmade potty chair. Each one is different. So, I grabbed them before they hit the trash. Thx for your input!

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'd have done the same... much to my wife's chagrin. Old chairs have so much more character than today's...but they take up space that cuts into my other hoarding collections. Still, I have several in my garage that I need to make go away before winter, when my wife reclaims that space.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions