What's new

Is this an ornament off of a Gun

OutBack Duo

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
925
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a location I started detecting today which is said to be a place where people camped while in transit back in the early 1800's. There was also said to be a skirmish between two groups of people that lasted a couple hours.

I think I have seen items like this before but can't be sure.
 

Attachments

  • ornament.webp
    ornament.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 423
here is one from a flintlock......
 

Attachments

  • flintlock1.webp
    flintlock1.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 430
  • flintlock1.webp
    flintlock1.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0
Looks like it could be a sideplate off a musket/flintlock, now just to find one with a serpent/dragon motiff.

Mike
USAF Retired
 
Upvote 0
looks like a fish ? need a side view ???
 
Upvote 0
any idea how old? The location I am detecting is a battle site that took place in 1838 and I would love to say this is from that battle.
 
Upvote 0
Definitely seems to be a sideplate from a Northwest trade gun. These were smoothbore guns made for trading with the Native Americans. Dating it could be problematic, these guns changed very little throughout the 19th century.
 
Upvote 0
ffuries said:
Here's some examples of the dragon/serpent style.

IMG_2981.jpg


Barnett20Dragon20Plate_jpg_tif.jpg


Mike
USAF Retired

Spot-on match :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Not an exact match, the dogs neck is shorter on mine.
 
Upvote 0
Yes. Most likely 1700s, but those weapons were used for years.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone! I am pretty sure I am detecting where I want to be and hopefully will find other treasures to prove it.
 
Upvote 0
OK, I had a chance to check some of my references. The Northwest Trade gun with it's serpent sideplate was made from the final years of the 18th century until the closing years of the 19th century. Your serpent does not appear to be one of the earliest ones, they were more slender. I would think no earlier than 1820 or so.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom