is this gold?

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab X-Terra, Minelab Safari
I am stumped with this rock. I have never had one cause such an overload on my metal detector. I have a new Minelab Safari and took it to the beach on Block Island RI. It signaled gold and of course we dug, dug, dug. About two feet down, there were rocks, and we took them out of the hole one by one. This rock was the cause of the beeping- and every time we test it, it causes the machine to "overload" with such a strong signal. The dark grey residue definitely rubs off easily, you just have to handle it to see grey on your hands and if you use the rock like a pencil, it writes like one (like it is graphite or something-see photo link below)

It is weathered like a river rock in the water. I don't know if that vein is what is causing such a ruckus with the metal detector or the rock itself. There is a vein of quartz and shiny material that runs through the rock. Any thoughts?

photo link

http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/af66/sjbgarden/Rock/

Thanks!

Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
S

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
sorry, not sure what a "hot rock" is, can you explain? It is not magnetic if that helps narrow it down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Dano Sverige said:

I googled all the rocks that could be "Hot Rocks" from that site and none of them look like this one. It is not magnetic, writes easily on paper and is not flakey... strange.

There has been a discussion under "today's finds" topic if you have time, let me know what you think after reading the discussion there-
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,416400.0.html

I appreciate your help!

Thanks, fun to learn!

SJB

Upvote 0

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Lol yeah, those folks get a bit more deep and technical than i do. To me, if i dig it and it ain't stamped with a hallmark...it ain't gold! ;D
Best to listen to them before me, i was just offering an opinion on what i'd class it as...just before i threw it back in the hole.

By the way, If nobody told you over there then i'll tell you here in stages so you can load pic's better.

1/ Google "photobucket"

2/ Join (free)

3/ upload your pic's there

4/ Hold your mouse cursor over each pic' and a drop down list will show

5/ Put the cursor over the "IMG code" and copy it (left click it and it autocopies)

6/ Write your post here and then paste the IMG code where in your post you want it to show

7/ Post your thread. Done!

Photobucket automatically resizes your pic's to fit here. Hope this helps. :wink: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks Dano- that is helpful. I am new at this and love to learn- I appreciated the link to "hot rocks" - thanks again for your help.

SJB

Upvote 0

rawdycan

Oct 6, 2012
Kathying said:
most were added after striking

ForumRunner_20121008_004243.png

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very similar rock like that among some slag from a foundary. I was told it was magnesium by an exfoundary worker. It looked and acted the same as yours. Don't get it around a fire! If it is magnesium it will burn very hot and water won't put it out, rather it could explode. It burns very similar to military white phosphorus. I shaved of just enough of the rock I found just to make a very fine powder (a tiny amount) and lit it up with a fire starter stick. It burned with an intensity and burned out within just a few seconds. The smoke had a garlic like odor. I am not recommending you try this unless you put it outside on a fire safe surface such as concrete and wear eye protection. Monty

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very similar rock like that among some slag from a foundary. I was told it was magnesium by an exfoundary worker. It looked and acted the same as yours. Don't get it around a fire! If it is magnesium it will burn very hot and water won't put it out, rather it could explode. It burns very similar to military white phosphorus. I shaved of just enough of the rock I found just to make a very fine powder (a tiny amount) and lit it up with a fire starter stick. It burned with an intensity and burned out within just a few seconds. The smoke had a garlic like odor. I am not recommending you try this unless you put it outside on a fire safe surface such as concrete and wear eye protection. Monty
Monty PLEASE DON'T encourage people to try this even on concrete the heat generated can or will cause the concrete to pop or explode!! HH
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread