What is this rock?

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab X-Terra, Minelab Safari
I am stumped with this rock. I have never had a rock cause such an overload on my metal detector. I have a new Minelabe Safari and took it to the beach. It signaled gold and of course we dug, dug dug. About two feet down, there were rocks, and we took them out of the hole one by one. This rock was the cause of the beeping- and every time we test it, it causes the machine to "overload" with such a strong signal. The dark grey color of the rock rubs off on our hands, and we can write with it (like it is graphite or something). There is a vein of quarts and shiny material that runs through the rock. Any thoughts?

http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/af66/sjbgarden/Rock/

Thanks!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Appears to be gneiss to me. And therefore needs to be addressed more carefully. Gneiss often is associated with quartz and gold. Indeed the closeups seem to show small golden nuggets in them. But may just be the appearance of gold. Gneiss is often associated with other metals as well, and I don't see how the outer covering would come off in your hand if it were gneiss.

Here's a thought, though: break the rock with a sledge hammer or splitting maul. Post a photo of the interior. If there is much more golden colored material inside ... it may be time to consult a geologist.

Another thing that would help the rest of us: where did you find this? Don't have to be specific, county and state should be enough. If you're not in a metaliferous area, less likely to ge metal. But the rock itself appears to be more of a cobble: a large water-worn stone eroded over time by being in a river bed. Was there a nearby river? Could this rock have once been in that river?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
We found the rock on a beach on Block Island RI- salt water for sure. The residue definitely rubs off easily, you just have to handle it to see gray on your hands and if you use the rock like a pencil, it writes like one. The vein looks like quartz, but as you saw, something else. I don't know if that vein is what is causing such a ruckus with the metal detector or the rock itself.

Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I get rocks with iron in them that drive my jw fishers pulse 8 crazy. it looks like a rock grew around a piece of iron nail.

Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems that the rock has adhered to the quartz and gold :o .... very interesting. :thumbsup:
H

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I couldn't get the photo to enlarge so I am at a disadvantage here. I did see the white streak, and it could be calcite or any number of other things besides quartz. Could be psilomine (spelling?) as that is an iron ore and is a messy rock, but I suspect it wouldn't last long in the ocean. If this is that soft, how did it last? I vote with the others--let's see the inside. I don't know RI, but is the area in general known for mineralization? Loadstone is heavy with iron, but I don't know if you can write with it. Does it seem heavy for it's size?

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like schist to me. :icon_scratch: I find it here on the coast sometimes.But never had a piece set my detector off. :icon_scratch: And can't mark paper with it. :icon_scratch: It does flake off in your hands though.Pics. of some I find the one I mounted a piece of coral & shell too.
Taker Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 2,014
  • IMG_0024_1.JPG
    IMG_0024_1.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 2,008
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Curiouser and curiouser. Perhaps a cobble from the beach at Block Island?

Still need to see the interior.

I still think this is probably gniess instead of schist. But that's still just a guess.

Upvote 0

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a Minelab Safari for about two years now. I have never seen it "signal gold". Exactly how did it do that?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Curious The George said:
I've been using a Minelab Safari for about two years now. I have never seen it "signal gold". Exactly how did it do that?

If you look at the legend scale, it points to GOLD and has a target number of 17-18. It is so strong that I have to turn the sensitivity down to 4 in order to have it not read "overload" - I posted a new photo to show you what it looks like when I scan the rock- the link http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af66/sjbgarden/Rock/DSC_2680.jpg

It has never has read iron, in fact I had it set on coin/jewelry mode only, and cancel out iron all together. I live in the Boston area- we know Iron, really know iron. This is really a smooth silvery- but not like mica- not flaky at all. It really looks like graphite with specks of quartz - very sparkly in places (new photo link for color and close up http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af66/sjbgarden/Rock/DSC_2687.jpg ). It does not appear to be magnetic.

Thanks for all your input- love to learn!

SJB

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
High Plains Digger said:
I couldn't get the photo to enlarge so I am at a disadvantage here. I did see the white streak, and it could be calcite or any number of other things besides quartz. Could be psilomine (spelling?) as that is an iron ore and is a messy rock, but I suspect it wouldn't last long in the ocean. If this is that soft, how did it last? I vote with the others--let's see the inside. I don't know RI, but is the area in general known for mineralization? Loadstone is heavy with iron, but I don't know if you can write with it. Does it seem heavy for it's size?

does this photo help? I don't understand how to upload them directly - my photo files are too big

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af66/sjbgarden/Rock/DSC_2684.jpg

sjb

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only other metamorphic/sedimentary rocks that look like yours I find here are Basalt the pics. below. :icon_scratch: But all are hard & do not write also very heavy like rock should be.The last two pics.(with the oyster shell stuck to it) are of graphite a piece I found at a colonial site not sure what they were doing with it maybe molding something hot I figured.But is very light weight for size,&does write on paper.Is yours light weight???

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,773
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,780
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,824
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Timekiller said:
The only other metamorphic/sedimentary rocks that look like yours I find here are Basalt the pics. below. :icon_scratch: But all are hard & do not write also very heavy like rock should be.The last two pics.(with the oyster shell stuck to it) are of graphite a piece I found at a colonial site not sure what they were doing with it maybe molding something hot I figured.But is very light weight for size,&does write on paper.Is yours light weight???

it is not light, actually a bit heavy for it's size. We have found basalt before, it seems a bit lighter in color. It really does look like the color of graphite in a pencil. It does not flake, but rubs off, and if I scratch it with my nails, tiny pieces come of. It marks anything it touches easily. The area that looks like quartz flakes off easily and leave small pieces that look like sparkles. It really is all one color by appearance, but there are small areas of shiny material in them, not striated such as the photos you all have posted.

How do you compress your photos to post them directly?

The humor is cracking us up...

Thanks again!!!!!!!

SJB

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sjb said:
Timekiller said:

it is not light, actually a bit heavy for it's size. We have found basalt before, it seems a bit lighter in color. It really does look like the color of graphite in a pencil. It does not flake, but rubs off, and if I scratch it with my nails, tiny pieces come of. It marks anything it touches easily. The area that looks like quartz flakes off easily and leave small pieces that look like sparkles. It really is all one color by appearance, but there are small areas of shiny material in them, not striated such as the photos you all have posted.

How do you compress your photos to post them directly?

The humor is cracking us up...

Thanks again!!!!!!!

SJB
I don't know then.I'm out of ideas for now it's weighing on me :laughing9: Anyway Take Care. :hello:
Here are some of the Posters Pics.

Attachments

• DSC_2680[1].jpg
    DSC_2680[1].jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,752
  • DSC_2662[1].jpg
    DSC_2662[1].jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,728
  • DSC_2660[1].jpg
    DSC_2660[1].jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,727
  • DSC_2655[1].jpg
    DSC_2655[1].jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,723
  • DSC_2653[1].jpg
    DSC_2653[1].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,709
  • DSC_2652[1].jpg
    DSC_2652[1].jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,679
Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Timekiller--do you have rocks in your head? Basalt is volcanic, absolutely, and that is written in stone. Just to keep the record straight and rock solid.

If it looks like schist, smells like schist, and feels like schist, it probably isn't schist if it writes on a paper plate. That is very perplexing.

Don't take it to the Geology department at the univeristy. They don't know sch.....uh,.....nothing. Too many books.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Timekiller: I did want to say that your coral/shell mounts look gneiss, even if they are on schist. Were you born in Rocky Mount, NC? Really, now, I did like the photos of your mounts. Interesting thing to do with the coral, etc.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions