What's new

Is this nuts or would you do the same?

I'd rethink this a bit . Hundred bucks to roll a pasture aireator over 3 acres is profit for him and no gain for you and you still have the burden of reseeding / fertilizing , ect to reestablish groundcover .
Moldboard plowing will roll up artifacts with less damage .The ground still has to be worked down to establish a seed bed and lime and fertilizer need to be purchased and applied to renew groundcover/pasture .
You are biting off more than you can chew for $100 or $300 an acre .
 
Howdy... to have this land plowed,, you need a plow. ie; moldboard type shovel. which when used, takes about 6 to 10 inches of soil, and turns it over,, so green is down, dirt is up.
Then the plowed land can be smoothed by using a disc. this is a series of vertical plates mounted on a axle and basicly cuts into the soil a few inches.
the spike type apperatus you speak of is called a harrow. this type is usualy used after the land is plowed and disc.. just my two pennies thanks as for the cost.. If you were my neighbor, I would do it for a fresh apple pie... or a basket of pickles. maybe a peck of tomatoes.
 
It sounds like a good idea, except....(theres always an "except", ain't there?) as a looong time artifact hunter, I find that the more a field is plowed, the more damage to the relics, be it flint tools, coins, or most anything else of value could get pretty chewed up.
That being said, it is also about the only way to get the stuff up within range. sigh... :dontknow:
 
How about some goats or sheep. They will practically pull up the grass by its roots.
I would be concerned about putting the goodies even deeper or ruining them, but as far as
$100 goes I would spend it in a heartbeat if that would get me some land to work.
Let us know what you find.
Rich
 
#1 is it worth a $100 to you to continue finding relics an finds like you have here ?

#2 do you think you have gotten every single piece on this property?

#3 do you think if its plowed you will find more?

these questions only you can answer. Myself I'd say I'd run it by the owner an keep hunting it an to me it would be worth the $100 but thats just me .
 
tymcmurray said:
I would pay it once a month if it got me to a good site!!!
That is, IF I could afford it! LOL

Ty,
You're not fooling us. We know you have mason jars of buried coins in your yard. :wink:
-MM-

KylePA said:
Dug Buddy,
You bet it would be worth your $100 bill. Since plowing brings up stuff that is out of reach, your pasture would now become a virgin-like field once again.

Kirk, Chris, and I asked a farmer to plow our 25 copper field last year. Since it is no-till now, he said it would ruin their progess. I told my buddy, Derek752, in an e-mail last Sunday, "Every time I walk in that field before I sweep, I shake my head in disgust." I do so because I know it will probably never get plowed again and we know there are 15-20 more coppers and relics underneath all of the iron. I was digging square nails at 9 inches last Saturday.

Also, we know for a fact that our 28 copper field would yield over 45 total coins if it were plowed. :help: However, it, too, is all no-till now. :help:

Buddy Dug, I'd give that feller $100 without even thinking. You are going to get more from the area!
Go for it, buddy! Go for it with the passion that I know you always have!

Bring a hot apple pie with you, knock on the owners' door and say, "Sir and Ma'am, I have Mr. Johnson with me and he is going to plow your horse pasture for me and he is going to plow it for me even if it lands me a night in jail. :D I hope this hot apple pie will do the trick." :D :D I hope they give you the A-OK! :headbang:

Sir Kyle

Hilarious. ;D Thanks Kyle.
I'm hoping Mirage left me a Spanish silver out there. :icon_thumleft:
-Dug-

Dimeman said:
Is the price to bush hog ( cut the grass down) the same as plowing it, or cheaper???

Get the grass cut down and search it.

If some good items are found, then ----consider springing for a disc type plow(with the owners permission of course) to overturn a decent depth of dirt, so that those items you couldn't get to that were too deep, would be closer to the top.It might be a gamble but considering the items found there already, chances are there could be some deeper targets.
Plus if the landowner plants a garden in some of the area, later on.... it already would be plowed and ready for him.

truckinbutch said:
I'd rethink this a bit . Hundred bucks to roll a pasture aireator over 3 acres is profit for him and no gain for you and you still have the burden of reseeding / fertilizing , ect to reestablish groundcover .
Moldboard plowing will roll up artifacts with less damage .The ground still has to be worked down to establish a seed bed and lime and fertilizer need to be purchased and applied to renew groundcover/pasture .
You are biting off more than you can chew for $100 or $300 an acre .

eldorado said:
Howdy... to have this land plowed,, you need a plow. ie; moldboard type shovel. which when used, takes about 6 to 10 inches of soil, and turns it over,, so green is down, dirt is up.
Then the plowed land can be smoothed by using a disc. this is a series of vertical plates mounted on a axle and basicly cuts into the soil a few inches.
the spike type apperatus you speak of is called a harrow. this type is usualy used after the land is plowed and disc.. just my two pennies thanks as for the cost.. If you were my neighbor, I would do it for a fresh apple pie... or a basket of pickles. maybe a peck of tomatoes.

Thanks for the input guys. This has been a real learning experience for me on the correct way to plow & prepare a field.
As far as how the pasture looked last Feb when it had horses still, here is a picture of Mirage the lucky S@B with his 1/2 reale. ;D
It will be bush hogged for sure first, and then if it's not too expensive I'll have it plowed.
I have a call into a guy that I totally forgot about. I met him one day when he was plowing the 1805 house I detect at. He was plowing a large garden area and was getting down at last 8-10". I actually found some relics in that garden when he finished. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • Mirage with Spanish silver.webp
    Mirage with Spanish silver.webp
    153.9 KB · Views: 498
RELICDUDE07 said:
Do it MM,have a few guys pitch in with you :thumbsup:

RD,
I run with a cheap crowd. :wink: ;D
-MM-

Tank69 said:
#1 is it worth a $100 to you to continue finding relics an finds like you have here ?

#2 do you think you have gotten every single piece on this property?

#3 do you think if its plowed you will find more?

these questions only you can answer. Myself I'd say I'd run it by the owner an keep hunting it an to me it would be worth the $100 but thats just me .

Tank,
Answers-
Question #1- HECK YES!!! ;D

Question #2 - No way. I was only able to go over the low areas once gridding, and some areas I had to bypass due to limbs, rocks, and deep horse crappe'.

Question #3 - Heck yes!!! There is actually an area in this pasture by two large oaks where another old house once sat. I'm really hoping there will be a lot more relics concentrated in that area.

Thanks,
MM

Treasure finder said:
How about some goats or sheep. They will practically pull up the grass by its roots.
I would be concerned about putting the goodies even deeper or ruining them, but as far as
$100 goes I would spend it in a heartbeat if that would get me some land to work.
Let us know what you find.
Rich

Rich,
I don't think the owners want anymore livestock in the pastures. Just more expense & maintenance.
Thanks,
MM
 
I earn a pretty good income for a guy being in college. I would definatly pay $100 down to hunt that field even if I got some wheaties! :) It's the experience that counts to me, not the finds :)
 
Detectingfreak said:
I earn a pretty good income for a guy being in college. I would definatly pay $100 down to hunt that field even if I got some wheaties! :) It's the experience that counts to me, not the finds :)

Thanks DF.
I agree. The experience is worth the $ in my book. Besides, I still haven't found an LC with a date on it, so I'm willing to do anything to get this elusive coin checked off my "want list". ;D :wink:
-MM-
 
As with anything else, try it out and see if it brings up more goodies. It can't hurt to try. I don't have any idea, because most of the land in my neck of the woods is no-till, and I have never had the opportunity to have it plowed and rehunt the sites (or pay to have it plowed).

I'll be interested in seeing what your opinions of the plowing are.


Best Wishes,



Buckles
 
eldorado said:
Howdy... to have this land plowed,, you need a plow. ie; moldboard type shovel. which when used, takes about 6 to 10 inches of soil, and turns it over,, so green is down, dirt is up.
Then the plowed land can be smoothed by using a disc. this is a series of vertical plates mounted on a axle and basicly cuts into the soil a few inches.
the spike type apperatus you speak of is called a harrow. this type is usualy used after the land is plowed and disc.. just my two pennies thanks as for the cost.. If you were my neighbor, I would do it for a fresh apple pie... or a basket of pickles. maybe a peck of tomatoes.

This is good info. The plow you speak of will get no deeper than your detector. What you need is someone who has a breaking plow and a disc harrow. The breaking plow will turn dirt up to a foot deep, maybe more, but will leave clods of dirt as big as the hood on your car. Very hard to hunt. Once the land is broke it needs the disc harrow. This will smooth it out so you can swing your detector. And if you were my neighbor, I would do it for free and join you on the hunt. :D

Good Luck
Randy
 
BuckleBoy said:
As with anything else, try it out and see if it brings up more goodies. It can't hurt to try. I don't have any idea, because most of the land in my neck of the woods is no-till, and I have never had the opportunity to have it plowed and rehunt the sites (or pay to have it plowed).
I'll be interested in seeing what your opinions of the plowing are.
Best Wishes,
Buckles

Can't hurt to try Buck. :icon_thumleft:
Thanks,
MM

RPG said:
eldorado said:
Howdy... to have this land plowed,, you need a plow. ie; moldboard type shovel. which when used, takes about 6 to 10 inches of soil, and turns it over,, so green is down, dirt is up.
Then the plowed land can be smoothed by using a disc. this is a series of vertical plates mounted on a axle and basicly cuts into the soil a few inches.
the spike type apperatus you speak of is called a harrow. this type is usualy used after the land is plowed and disc.. just my two pennies thanks as for the cost.. If you were my neighbor, I would do it for a fresh apple pie... or a basket of pickles. maybe a peck of tomatoes.

This is good info. The plow you speak of will get no deeper than your detector. What you need is someone who has a breaking plow and a disc harrow. The breaking plow will turn dirt up to a foot deep, maybe more, but will leave clods of dirt as big as the hood on your car. Very hard to hunt. Once the land is broke it needs the disc harrow. This will smooth it out so you can swing your detector. And if you were my neighbor, I would do it for free and join you on the hunt. :D

Good Luck
Randy

Thanks Randy. I wish you WERE my neighbor. ;D :icon_thumleft:
Hopefully this is worth the effort. :wink:
-MM-
 
If the weeds are 4 ft. tall you need to go in there with a brush hog and wipe them out first. Then burn it off, if you can. Then, come in and big ox it, which goes down way more deeper. If that old boy understands what you want and thinks he can plow it up to your specs, then go for it. Where I'm at, 100 dollar bills are like 20 dollar bills, and they barely get me around the block. You could get a whole bunch of enjoyment out of your 100 dollar investment. Let us know how it turns out!
 
Miner, it sounds like you're going to get it cultivated rather than plowed which might not do that much except seperate iron a little and remove the weeds. . You might be better off offering him a little more to actually plow it and run a small disk harrow on the back of the plow so you'll be able to walk it afterwards. Like the other guys said, it is peanuts when you consider how much fun you'll have for the price of a few dinners and movies out, plus on three acres of turned ground you're bound to pay for it, even if you shell out a couple hundred.
 
A definite Yes! And if you took me, it would only be $50.00!
 
If that field has relics then others will too. I personally would try to MD the fields of the guy with the tractor or get permission from other owners. While we see over hunted parks are thought to be void of coinage we find with pi detectors and 2 box systems we can go deeper and sort of back in time.
If you have no car get a bike to go MD I personally would not pay to detect when we have so many other options in the way of technology to turn old grounds into new grounds for yourself. Take a pi detector to a park that has been hunted out and I bet you will find the better finds simply because they have done all the hard work taking the clad out of your way.

Or get yourself a tractor or tiller and have a side business turning ground this would give you opportunity to chat the owners up about MDing their land afterward.

Place an ad in the Craig's list advertising you want to MD on their land perhaps you can offer to find something for them and this would allow you aces to detect and own what you find outside their original item to find. There is a guy on youtube that does this he lives in Canada calls himself turners treasure team he has been featured on television programs he claims to give to charity when he is rewarded.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TurnersTreasureTeam
 
Thanks everyone for your input. Very much appreciated.
I'll spend extra $ if I have to to get it plowed. There are some large fallen pieces of oak trees and even a tree itself laying in the one pasture I'll see if I can get moved too. They are laying right where an old house used to sit.
Another area that I totally forgot about was used for a garden but is now overgrown with grass too. This garden section runs parallel to where the old plank / CW road ran. That garden area hasn't been able to be detected since I started on this property a few years ago, so I'm hoping for good things there too. Worst case, I'll get this garden area bush hogged. It's about 1/2 acre itself.

I agree, the $ will be well spent in my opinion. The opportunity to detect these old spots are getting harder & harder to find.
-MM-
 
We all agree, reading all these posts seems like a whole bunch of us would like to
be there to help. We are anxious to see what you come up with.
Rich
 
Treasure finder said:
We all agree, reading all these posts seems like a whole bunch of us would like to
be there to help. We are anxious to see what you come up with.
Rich

Thanks Rich.
I will be sure to post my finds on TN. I was told to wait until Sept at least before having the bush hogging done, so the weed growth has stopped.
I have a few TN members that I'm sure will be invited to detect it with me if they can make it. I'm a sucker for punishment I guess. ;D :wink: :tongue3:
-MM-
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom