What's new

Is this petrified wood?

AnneLewis

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2018
Messages
31
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538746757.157590.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538746797.324588.webp This was in my Grandfathers desk forever I had been told it could be worth money if it’s petrified wood
 
Looks like a type of Shelf Fungus.
images.webp
images (1).webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe a fossilized sea shell? :dontknow: Try posting it in the fossil section. Good luck!
 
Upvote 0
Is it heavy, like a rock, or light weight, like dry wood? And can you show a pic of the underside?
 
Upvote 0
Looks like an bracket ("Artist's") fungus to me as well.
 
Upvote 0
It’s light not heavy I will take another picture
 
Upvote 0
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538757405.154074.webp here’s the back side
 
Upvote 0
yes looks like the shelf fungus I see alot
 
Upvote 0
People with talent do amazing things on the bottoms of those.

fungus_moose.webp
 
Upvote 0
thats is really cool
 
Upvote 0
Locally they call that punk. When I was a kid, adults would get a piece of that to burn and then use it to light fireworks all evening.. Burns very slow. Also was told that native americans used it to carry fire.
 
Upvote 0
Wow great info Thanks everybody!
 
Upvote 0
Called a polypore. Like mentioned, it burns but very slowly. I used to work in a big machine shop and was kind of ornery. I'd take a piece of the fungus and light it and toss it under one of the women's CNC machine. It smelled like burning electrical wires and they'd call the machine repairman. YUK YUK. They finally caught me and shut me down. Gary
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom