What's new

Is this ring old?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Anyone know the age of this ring? It says "STERLING M" on the inside. :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0749.webp
    IMG_0749.webp
    32 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0750.webp
    IMG_0750.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0751.webp
    IMG_0751.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_0752.webp
    IMG_0752.webp
    17 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0753.webp
    IMG_0753.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 511
My guess late 1800's-early 1900's. :-\ I think STERLING M is a made by Tiffany mark.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow, good job bigcypresshunter. If this is correct, you made my day. :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
In this B&W enlargement of the mark in the photo above, the M appears to be flanked by arrows: -> M <-
IMG_0753.webp

I can't find any Moore-period Tiffany "Sterling M" marks with arrows, or without "Tiffany" on the piece as well. The style of the M varies, but here's an example:
picture2.webp
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for posting the Tiffany marks link, BC. :thumbsup: :coffee2:
Can't find ->M<- listed in any of my jewelry marks books, either. (Closest thing is ->MH<-.)
 
Upvote 0
You guys are correct. I went to a coin shop and asked if it was Tiffany and he laughed at me. He said it was not old, 1960's maybe and was not well built. :-[
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
You guys are correct. I went to a coin shop and asked if it was Tiffany and he laughed at me. He said it was not old, 1960's maybe and was not well built. :-[
I think its older than that. The design looks similar to rings in my 1909 Sears catalog. Does he sell jewelry with his coins?
 
Upvote 0
No just coins and I also suspect its older than 1960.
 
Upvote 0
Could it be a Seal Ring?
 
Upvote 0
Do people put there initials on a seal ring?
 
Upvote 0
I agree the ring has a very old style to it...not a 60's period.
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
Do people put there initials on a seal ring?
I think yes. Why do you ask?
 
Upvote 0
Because the guy at the coin store said he thought it may be a seal ring. I am not sure what a seal ring is. ???
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • ring,quill,ink,seal.webp
    ring,quill,ink,seal.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom