CountryLiving

Aug 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Silver2.jpg
    Silver2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 107
There are a couple of scientific things you can do to test it.
1. Try to melt it with a soldering iron. If it melts...lead or lead based alloy.
2. Break a piece of it off or depending on the size, get a frying pan, then take a piece of Aluminium foil, crinkle it a little, and lay it in the bottom of the pan. Put two scoops of baking soda in. Then place object on the aluminum. Heat to just below a boil. The baking soda will bubble up through the pan. If bubbles form the the object itself then you have a noble metal which is most likely silver. We can run more tests if that is positive.

Upvote 0
Slag; Fire Nugget; Leaveright; Melted aluminum -

Upvote 0
Could be a fire nugget bc it was found by our old water well and I have also found an ammunition box lock from the Cowboy days.

Upvote 0
Welcome to TreasureNet. No expert here, but I think it's lead. It's found quite often around older homesites. Check a fishing weight and see if it gives a similar signal.

Upvote 0
even lead,if its large enough will sound off as a high tone,aluminum too.babit was often used on ranches and homesteads as was an awful lot of lead.quick trip to jeweler or pawn shop,they will test it.

good luck and welcome

Upvote 0
Silver requires a higher heat to melt than lead, silvers melting point is 1763 degrees Fahrenheit where lead melts at 621.5 Fahrenheit a blow torch from the hardware store will melt it if its lead but not if it's silver

Upvote 0
Box Lock.pngMetal Findings.jpg

Is this ammunition box lock rare? Once again I found it by an old water well on our ranch. Most these items were all found by our water well. I think there use to be a trading post on the corner a very long time ago. There is a lot of history I am finding out.

Upvote 0
Anyone know anything about the lock? Found it about 18 inches deep too. Nothing else around it except for 2 horse shoe nails that were about 8 inches deep. The nails is how I found the lock. Beeped as iron.

Upvote 0
You should start a new thread about the lock. Welcome to TNET. Best to use a thread to identify one thing only; otherwise, people are going to think you are still talking about the blob and probably not be as interested. My recommendation: new thread and new title.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back