Is this what gold might look line from space?

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize it's impossible to say for sure without actually going there and looking, but is this what gold might look like on Google maps? I have already confirmed there is gold in both creeks downstream from these pics.

Thanks for taking the time to look, any and all comments are welcome.

View attachment 1183775
View attachment 1183776
View attachment 1183777
View attachment 1183778
View attachment 1183779

P.s. sorry about the typo in the title, i don't think i can edit that though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have exposed bedrock, likely some faulting in the area creating a change in how 'things used to be' allowing gold to spill out from old deposits into new streams. Like you say, the best way to find out is to go there and look (aka: sample, sample, sample). If you have a prospecting detector I would bring that along with a small shovel, small crow bar and a gold pan.

Any canyon is a sampling tool, add water equals a sampling tool, of what is uphill. Know what is private property and/or claimed ground before going there. Looks like a good hike, best of luck with your adventure.......................63bkpkr

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this kind of stuff is fun... Prospecting from your living room.

See if you can find any geological reports on your area, it might take a while, but they are probably out there somewhere, you just need to
hit on the correct search terms to get them to pop up.. My Dad has been searching for info on our area for 8 months, and he still comes up
with new and interesting stuff all the time...

An example...
18130473566_f2e9b536cd_c.jpg

And here is a link to google maps, that will land you somewhere around the Sherman and Bonanza veins (from the above pic). Those veins are easy
to see.. There are holes in them, lots of holes. Big deep holes.. Some of the veins are actually visible due to discoloration and outcroppings..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hillsboro,+NM+88042/@32.9404881,-107.5484453,894m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x86df6c9be1b4aba9:0x95969479042821ab

So yes, you can see gold from space.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sublimages and bobw53, learn to use the Mylandmatters website, all the info you seek is in there. Bob the reports you are speaking of are the USGS Folios. Don't think because they are old that they were inaccurate. Those folks were good, we have changed or added very little to what they discovered. An amazing feat when you look at the lack of technological advances they had in comparison with us.

Sublimages- I thinik your on the right track for sure, a couple of them look a bit too volcanic in nature for me but the type of terrain is spot on.

OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips and links.

I just discovered the mylandmatters site yesterday, and I'm very impressed with it so far.

my initial interest in this area was based on an old report from the geological survey.

I think I might be on the right track as well. Unfortunately, most of the area is private property or national park.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One trick I have used here is to set up cameras at different times of the day during different seasons to take pictures of an area I am interested in. You would be surprised what shows up with different sun angles at different times of the year.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob the reports you are speaking of are the USGS Folios. Don't think because they are old that they were inaccurate.

I've looked at those(and I don't totally understand them), but there is a LOT more than from just the USGS. I may be in a good situation, the area I'm playing
in has historically produced the most gold in the state, a lot of the funky reports I've found have been from what used to be the "School of Mines", I think its
New Mexico Tech now in Socorro.

Found a report from '73 a bit ago, they spent about 4 months going through and sampling the whole area, including the mine dumps to determine how much
placer gold was left... Maps and everything... Absolutely fascinating.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've looked at those(and I don't totally understand them), but there is a LOT more than from just the USGS. I may be in a good situation, the area I'm playing
in has historically produced the most gold in the state, a lot of the funky reports I've found have been from what used to be the "School of Mines", I think its
New Mexico Tech now in Socorro.

Found a report from '73 a bit ago, they spent about 4 months going through and sampling the whole area, including the mine dumps to determine how much
placer gold was left... Maps and everything... Absolutely fascinating.

The Socorro School of Mines can be a great help in your research. The Skeen Library has a huge mining collection as well as being a Federal Depository Library. The mineral collection there is superb, it's worth a trip all on it's own.

My wife and I have spent many days studying at the Library. Professor Lisa Beinhoff is a friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable librarian. My wife and I are registered as visiting mining professionals there so we have access to some of the rarest of mining books and maps.

The Skeen Library had the only accessible copy of the original large format Whitney Tertiary Gravels of California map still in existence. We studied that map for more than a month and then digitized the results for our MinerDiggins California maps. Without Professor Beinhoff and the resources at the Skeen we would still be searching for that rare and important map and many other important resources.

Socorro doesn't have a lot to offer the casual traveler but if you have an interest in mining. minerals or geology the Skeen Library is one of the greatest resources available. Make it a point to visit there and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Many of the graduate students there have a lot of real, on the ground knowledge, about mineral deposits in the Southwest. If you visit outside the test/vacation times they are often eager to share their knowledge one on one. Take them for a meal at Sofia's down the street and you will get great information and a new friend in the mining business for the price of a burrito and a beer. It's the best deal going in mining! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread