Is this ww2 German Valve or Crane Steel valve?

danieldaniel91

Greenie
Nov 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought this and the guy said it was a rare 3rd Reich German bronze gas valve from Auschwitz. 100% authentic and told me the the A on the back meant it was from Auschwitz. It wasn't until after I Purchased it that I then did my research and found many forums saying these are an old Crane Steel valve that could be for a water heater manufactured in the USA in the 1900s. Can someone confirm exactly what this is? need answers. Thank you. Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 8.38.38 AM.png

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not seen one my self; however if it was mine and I wanted to further my research in the right direction I would check to see if that is metric or standard.

Then that should give you a decent way to go, clearly the NAZIs where not going to manufacture a 5/8.

Just my thoughts, but I do not know anything about it.

On another note, stick around, you came to the right place, lots of fart smellers here that really know their stuff.

Welcome to the site,

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope is is the real deal someone will ID it

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also welcome from MI land of the freezing. Tommy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danieldaniel91

Greenie
Nov 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen one my self; however if it was mine and I wanted to further my research in the right direction I would check to see if that is metric or standard.

Then that should give you a decent way to go, clearly the NAZIs where not going to manufacture a 5/8.

Just my thoughts, but I do not know anything about it.

On another note, stick around, you came to the right place, lots of fart smellers here that really know their stuff.

Welcome to the site,

Good idea about the size. will have to ask the seller

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danieldaniel91

Greenie
Nov 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET and hope you understand that you may get a lot of flack over purchasing such an item! I can't help with the identification.

Thank you for that info, but I'm here to be professional and hope people don't get that way. Just need answers not to start anything with anyone over symbols or things to be offensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not here so much to be professional, just having fun. That thing isn't fun. At the worst you got taken or at worst its real.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danieldaniel91

Greenie
Nov 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not here so much to be professional, just having fun. That thing isn't fun. At the worst you got taken or at worst its real.

ok I understand. Hope you enjoyed this site. lots of cool things on here to look at.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
One problem is,individual components would not be marked for destination,the crates they were shipped in would be marked.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From Wikipedia:

The Crane Valve Company manufactured steel valves in the 1920s and 30's in the U.S. with swastika markings, using a symbol with the arms pointed to the right.

Do a Google search on "Swastika valves". You will see many examples. American made. Not Germany, Nazi, nor Auschwitz. It may be worth a buck or two at an antique shop...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danieldaniel91

Greenie
Nov 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Wikipedia:

Do a Google search on "Swastika valves". You will see many examples. American made. Not Germany, Nazi, nor Auschwitz. It may be worth a buck or two at an antique shop...

I did, and thats what I saw as well. Just wanted to post on here just in case this one was different by any chance before I tell the seller that if was for sure not what he had listed it as. Thanks for your response.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danieldaniel91

Greenie
Nov 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of these in my old engine/tractor hobby. You can easily find them at antique tractor & engine swap meets. The swastika was used as a sign of prosperity and good luck long before the Nazis corrupted it.

what would you say its worth?

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Hitler stole the symbol from the hindus The swazi was a symbol of power or force. It was adopted in the USA and can be seen at the bases of some of the first electric lighting poles on city streets and on Gas valves as seen here. Turn on for power.
if this were really a valve that brought innocent people to a premature demise I would have to vote for its permanent destruction. But it is not. So I am not taken for some kind of hypocrite Because I also advocate the retention of Swazi Metals and weapons I feel the need to state that weapons of war and decorations were soldier to soldier. This would have killed innocents and I am not about that at all. Way to macabre for me.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The elbo on the end is just a fitting. The valve/pit cock, looks good enough to be used in a restoration and would bring $15-$20.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danieldaniel91

Greenie
Nov 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The elbo on the end is just a fitting. The valve/pit cock, looks good enough to be used in a restoration and would bring $15-$20.

The elbow fitting is attached to another connection that has the swastika just didn't post it with the original post. Thanks for your help.
Would that add any more value?

3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread