dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was inevitable, but today I finally got nailed by a stingray. I turned to pivot on my left foot in waist deep water and didn't feel the ray under my foot, just the sting. Got me about 2 inches above my little toe. It happened about 45 mins into the hunt. I kept going for about 2.5 more hours. By the time I got back to the car my foot was killing me. Took my booty and sock off and there was just a little nick. Also a nice little hole in my neoprene booty. Went to the doc, got a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. Boy those little suckers hurt!
DC

Upvote 0

Goldinwater

Nov 1, 2007
Hurst,Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Stingwray,Cz20, Excaliber, Spectrum xlt, Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was inevitable, but today I finally got nailed by a stingray. I turned to pivot on my left foot in waist deep water and didn't feel the ray under my foot, just the sting. Got me about 2 inches above my little toe. It happened about 45 mins into the hunt. I kept going for about 2.5 more hours. By the time I got back to the car my foot was killing me. Took my booty and sock off and there was just a little nick. Also a nice little hole in my neoprene booty. Went to the doc, got a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. Boy those little suckers hurt!
DC

I got it twice in about two months in Ft Myers one year and yes they do hurt

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Englewood Beach Fla - Saturday - I was MD'ing about waste deep doing the stingray shuffle when I switched arms, not used to the MD in the left hand lost sync with the shuffle stepped right on the wing of a stingray for maybe a half second, felt the fluttering jumped back and watched him swim off -all I could think was whoaaaa close call. I scared up maybe 5 more over the next few hours which is quite a few. Many were in 20 inches of water, must be mating season or something?

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously I don't think I could get into the water with all those different creatures swimming or floating around!!! We have some huge pike where iam from but that's about it!but I imagine if a person grew up around all that stuff it's not that big of a deal

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! They hurt alright! There barb's carry instint infections. You'll be out for awhile? Take care.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got hit by an invisible, free floating, jellyfish tentacle. It was while scuba diving and it hit me right on the upper lip. Holy hell that hurt!

Automatic ixnay on the P treatment- so what did you do?

Haven't been to Fla for a while. Back in the '90s there were so many stingrays that they would end up in the wash on every little wave-then flap there way back in. Schools would part around me when I was fishing. I shuffled so much I had to remember not to do it in the dry sand. Whole family saw one 8' + from a pier in clear water. It went right under us when we were all peering at little fish on the bottom-the did a half effort to bury itself 30' from the beach. Still took the girls swimming-but I was never comfortable on that particular trip. Was told that it was from all of the sharks being over harvested.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early in the morning, before dawn, the beach was empty, I was in the water, and I was the only person around. Then a gal comes onto the beach, and walks down to the water right in front of where I'm in the water. She removes her top, stares at me a bit, then gets in the water. She doesn't get real close to me, but I get a good look. She had every right to be proud of those puppies. Anyway, I work down the beach. I'm about 50 yards away from her when I hear something, even though I'm wearing earphones. I turned and looked back and she kind of waves, but with the back of her hand facing me, kind of like the Queen might do for her subjects. Was she motioning me back? I keep looking at her trying to decipher what she wants, then she shoots me a bird, which I thought was pretty aggressive. Not like being bit by a shark, but kind of a shock. Had I offended her by staring too much at her breasts...or by leaving her alone, or by not coming back? It's a mystery.

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously I don't think I could get into the water with all those different creatures swimming or floating around!!! We have some huge pike where iam from but that's about it!but I imagine if a person grew up around all that stuff it's not that big of a deal Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

image-2893276708.jpg

Different creatures?

Attachments

• image-1420425170.jpg
    image-1420425170.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 132

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol you proved my point!!!!! Well I did have a blood sucker on my leg once lol

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol you proved my point!!!!! Well I did have a blood sucker on my leg once lol Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
What state are you in? We hunt the waters here in Florida all the time with tons of sharks around and for the most part you rarely see them. It's pretty much a guarantee that you can get in and hunt and they won't bother you but there always is a questioning mind in the process. I always have a nice dive knife strapped to my leg incase they want to play! If they latch onto me there going to take my blade right through the head! Seriously though there really is nothing to worry about though. As long as there's gold in the water I'll be there! See them feeding at waist deep from time to time and just step out for a smoke break then continue. Sometimes I have to tell some of the visiting stunots to come out for a minute when the fish are jumping all around them. Some people really lack intelligence. I tell them the fish are jumping because something is trying to eat them and the splashing should send them ashore but they want to get closer to see what it is. Lol! Knife equals preparation and being unprepared for a situation can be disastrous. You can try to ask a shark to let go or you can give him a reason and possibly have dinner at the same time or maybe a wall mount! It would make a great conversation piece!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LIR iam from Canada , from a province called Saskatchewan , lots of lakes and great fishing spots but no chances of shark attacks lol, like I mentioned got attacked by a blood sucker that's about it , that's why iam fascinated by you guys that can wade into the ocean and explore, would love to take my daughters someplace like that on a Holliday but for now I can only read about you guys :)

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
LIR iam from Canada , from a province called Saskatchewan , lots of lakes and great fishing spots but no chances of shark attacks lol, like I mentioned got attacked by a blood sucker that's about it , that's why iam fascinated by you guys that can wade into the ocean and explore, would love to take my daughters someplace like that on a Holliday but for now I can only read about you guys :) Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I know where you are! I used to be a hardcore bear and dear hunter! You're in prime territory for hunting.
I traded in the hunting life for tropical life and love beach detecting.
FYI it isn't always nonstop targets down here as the ocean is constantly shifting things around and burying and exposing things.
It probably seams better on Tnet but it's about as often as winning in gambling, some times you win sometimes you lose.
You hope for rings and once and a while you find them but sometimes they're fake.
Don't feel you're missing much cause in reality you're not.
Treasure coast hunting.....been there a few times.
Your more likely to go home with $1-$5 in coins than finding any Spanish treasure!
Although it does happen but only about as much as winning the lottery.
Floridas gulf coast is really inexpensive in some areas if you ever feel the need to venture out.
Port Charlotte, north port areas rent is $800-$1000 a month but work is very scarce and slot of people here are scammers and full of it!
Born and raised in N.Y. And had enough of the cold and made a change for beach life!
It's tough but it could be done!
Helps to have bulk $$$ for a security blanket.
Clear water Florida at pier 60 is off the hook for a great relaxing beach vacation! You tube pier 60 and you'll see what I mean.
Any way you can hook up with a cheap hotel in that area and enjoy the beach but be warned you may never want to leave!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes your exactly correct, excellent hunting around our parts . Bear, deer, moose , elk, it's a hunters paradise , I love fishing with my daughters but never got into hunting, I guess i have the "grass is greener on the other side " syndrome lol, someday we will make it for a Holliday where it's nice and warm

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If she hadn't wanted you to look, she should have kept her top on. We are only human and in our hobby, it pays to be curious. How else would we make the discoveries we are so proud of.
I had an intoxicated woman ask me if I was finding anything at the river and I said just pull tabs and a few pennies, which was the truth. The swim park was full of people and quite a few were drinking. She asked me what the H_E_L_L, I was doing it for and I said it was just my hobby. She had some back up drunks with her and when she walked off, I heard the word loser. I had the last laugh the next week when I found 3 gold rings in the water by the wall, even tho I lost one when my finds bag turned upside down in the water. I've seen a few snakes and once when I stumbled over two concrete blocks someone had thrown in the water, I freaked out because I thought it was a large alligator and thank God it wasn't.

Early in the morning, before dawn, the beach was empty, I was in the water, and I was the only person around. Then a gal comes onto the beach, and walks down to the water right in front of where I'm in the water. She removes her top, stares at me a bit, then gets in the water. She doesn't get real close to me, but I get a good look. She had every right to be proud of those puppies. Anyway, I work down the beach. I'm about 50 yards away from her when I hear something, even though I'm wearing earphones. I turned and looked back and she kind of waves, but with the back of her hand facing me, kind of like the Queen might do for her subjects. Was she motioning me back? I keep looking at her trying to decipher what she wants, then she shoots me a bird, which I thought was pretty aggressive. Not like being bit by a shark, but kind of a shock. Had I offended her by staring too much at her breasts...or by leaving her alone, or by not coming back? It's a mystery.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If she hadn't wanted you to look, she should have kept her top on. We are only human and in our hobby, it pays to be curious. How else would we make the discoveries we are so proud of. I had an intoxicated woman ask me if I was finding anything at the river and I said just pull tabs and a few pennies, which was the truth. The swim park was full of people and quite a few were drinking. She asked me what the H_E_L_L, I was doing it for and I said it was just my hobby. She had some back up drunks with her and when she walked off, I heard the word loser. I had the last laugh the next week when I found 3 gold rings in the water by the wall, even tho I lost one when my finds bag turned upside down in the water. I've seen a few snakes and once when I stumbled over two concrete blocks someone had thrown in the water, I freaked out because I thought it was a large alligator and thank God it wasn't.

Drunk people in public calling someone a loser?
We all know who the loser is!
You're doing something positive.
Keep on hunting!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got hit by an invisible, free floating, jellyfish tentacle. It was while scuba diving and it hit me right on the upper lip. Holy hell that hurt!

Automatic ixnay on the P treatment- so what did you do?

LOL, NO that wasn't an option! After slapping the reg out of my mouth and making sure there wasn't something actually attacking me, I just kept diving. Yeah, it hurt, but boat dives are expensive and I was going to to be in pain on the boat or underwater either way.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which Toe?
I guess it really does not matter.
If you seen one, you seen them all!

Small shark....big toe....still have the scar. And the worst part, I watched him come cruising right in with a small swell and do it! :laughing7: It was like, "Cool! Look at that little guy and he's heading right for me! That's neat!" Then I was just sort of stunned, like I wasn't aware that a tiny shark would do that to a big human's toe. :laughing7: And the worst-worst part, none of it happened fast, just sort of a meandering slow cruise in and a meandering slow cruise back out. Nothing vicious or obviously threatening in a single motion until he clamped down, and even that was pretty subtle. Never will forget that. But, this from a guy who also stuck his finger in a tiny flounder's mouth and got bitten with the same type, "Damn! I didn't know a little guy like that could put that kind of a hurt on you!" surprise. :laughing7:

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't forget getting stung by that jellyfish tentacle this past summer for a long time. Even the oxycodone didn't take away all the pain....... For over 12 hours I suffered. Now I no where near salt water and I miss it, but I do like Wyoming.....so far, but it's only been 4 months today that I've been here.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been stung by a Portuguese Man O War and the bugger wasn't even in the water,hurt like a sonoffagun!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda adds new meaning to being hooked on Metal Detecting.
Hard to believe you stayed out there for 2.5 more hours.
It pains me even to think about it.

Worst pain I ever experienced, was from the top fin of a tiny salt water catfish in the gulf.
It's nickname was Oscar the Terrible. Good thing I was not wearing a ring as
I would of lost my finger the way it swelled up.

Stung many times, many times by Man of War in the Gulf as well as in Hawaii.
The burning sensation feels like being hit by a whip, so they say - never been hit by a whip.
The last time one stung me it was especially bad - had difficulty controlling breathing, fast heart beat.
Supect that it may of been a box jellyfish.

DC

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
dc426, I'm so sorry that you got stung by the stingray. It must have been very painful.

Hope the antibiotics are working and that you'll be all better ASAP

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread