dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was inevitable, but today I finally got nailed by a stingray. I turned to pivot on my left foot in waist deep water and didn't feel the ray under my foot, just the sting. Got me about 2 inches above my little toe. It happened about 45 mins into the hunt. I kept going for about 2.5 more hours. By the time I got back to the car my foot was killing me. Took my booty and sock off and there was just a little nick. Also a nice little hole in my neoprene booty. Went to the doc, got a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. Boy those little suckers hurt!
DC

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes they do hurt! Glad you went to docs. the wounds get infected quickly. can't help but think of Steve Irwin.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aren't you supposed to pee on it to relieve the pain?

OP
OP
dc426

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aren't you supposed to pee on it to relieve the pain?

funny when I was checking in the girl at the desk said the same thing. But I believe that's for jellyfish. Either way she didn't want to do it :)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been really lucky as I go barefoot just about all the time. But I know it's just a matter of time.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah it's for jellyfish stings, just thought I'd try to get you to do it!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey any of you water hunters ever get attacked by anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have stepped on four or five the last time I was water hunting...I shuffle along after I step on one but forget about it and end up stepping on another one...only a matter of time until one gets me.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bikini clad girls asking what I found. :icon_thumleft:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
crap, he beat me to it

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Small shark....big toe....still have the scar. And the worst part, I watched him come cruising right in with a small swell and do it! :laughing7: It was like, "Cool! Look at that little guy and he's heading right for me! That's neat!" Then I was just sort of stunned, like I wasn't aware that a tiny shark would do that to a big human's toe. :laughing7: And the worst-worst part, none of it happened fast, just sort of a meandering slow cruise in and a meandering slow cruise back out. Nothing vicious or obviously threatening in a single motion until he clamped down, and even that was pretty subtle. Never will forget that. But, this from a guy who also stuck his finger in a tiny flounder's mouth and got bitten with the same type, "Damn! I didn't know a little guy like that could put that kind of a hurt on you!" surprise. :laughing7:

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To treat Sting Ray hit, just soak in as hot as you can stand Hot water. Jelly Fish, rub with wet sand & spray with vinegar.
My son was a State Beach Lifeguard for 3 yrs in SoCal.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Small shark....big toe....still have the scar. And the worst part, I watched him come cruising right in with a small swell and do it! :laughing7: It was like, "Cool! Look at that little guy and he's heading right for me! That's neat!" Then I was just sort of stunned, like I wasn't aware that a tiny shark would do that to a big human's toe. :laughing7: And the worst-worst part, none of it happened fast, just sort of a meandering slow cruise in and a meandering slow cruise back out. Nothing vicious or obviously threatening in a single motion until he clamped down, and even that was pretty subtle. Never will forget that. But, this from a guy who also stuck his finger in a tiny flounder's mouth and got bitten with the same type, "Damn! I didn't know a little guy like that could put that kind of a hurt on you!" surprise. :laughing7:

You were just Fast Food for that little sucker!:laughing7:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I wish I didn't see that big scoop!
I was trying to have faith in they are probably confused by the detectors signal!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I didn't see that big scoop!
I was trying to have faith in they are probably confused by the detectors signal!

I was standing in a little runnel-wash, tide was just starting to come back in, just raising my foot to press down on the scoop. Very sunny that day and I think he just saw the flash and thought my big toe was a baitfish. Or,....once he got close enough the frequencies from the detector triggered his feeding instincts? :icon_scratch: Na, probably not. :laughing7:

prosub

Jan 12, 2013
up state ny
Detector(s) used
X-Call2,AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no jelly fish up here but I was Scuba MDing in a lake this summer and a Bullhead spiked me in the big toe through my boot. Hurt like hell at first I thought I was cut,it was a week before the swelling went down. I never saw him but that's what I think got me.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got hit by an invisible, free floating, jellyfish tentacle. It was while scuba diving and it hit me right on the upper lip. Holy hell that hurt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread