What's new

It finally happened and it HURT!

dc426

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2011
Messages
312
Reaction score
487
Golden Thread
0
Location
Largo, Florida
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was inevitable, but today I finally got nailed by a stingray. I turned to pivot on my left foot in waist deep water and didn't feel the ray under my foot, just the sting. Got me about 2 inches above my little toe. It happened about 45 mins into the hunt. I kept going for about 2.5 more hours. By the time I got back to the car my foot was killing me. Took my booty and sock off and there was just a little nick. Also a nice little hole in my neoprene booty. Went to the doc, got a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. Boy those little suckers hurt!
DC
 
Upvote 0
Do wetsuits protect you at all from the jellyfish? I think the stingray has a barb and the bigger the stingray, the bigger the barb. At least, that's what killed the man who pulled the barb out of his chest. Another man was stung with one of these large barbs but didn't pull it out and survived with surgery. I've only saw one stingray and he was a small one and I was looking for scallops in the bay at PCB, Fl. I can't imagine getting stung on the lip, that must have hurt pretty bad and getting stung in the leg or foot by the stingray must have been terrible. Stay safe everybody.
 
Yes, wetsuits do protect you from jellyfish. Even very thin suits will keep you safe.
 
I've had run ins with rays and jelly fish in my area even had a crab pinch my toe. But the sharks make me the most nervous. I had a large shark jump out of the water right by me out on the sand bar in 3 ft of water last September. I made a scared 100ft swim to shore after that. Lol
 
Skin suits, wetsuits, even long sleeve shirts etc will help protect you from a jelly fish encounter but remember that when you disrobe some of the clear tenticals and sting cells will be clinging to the matierial and just as active as if still on the jellyfish.

Learned that the hard way!
 
It's time to head to shore when large sharks start jumping out of the water, mr. rich. I fear I might have contaminated the water myself. Glad he didn't mistake you for supper.
Good information to know, dennco2000. I never realized you could get stung after coming out of the water. These forums are very helpful with lots of valuable information.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom