It is about time! My first sterling thimble!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got back on a site that I have done well at in the past, but I can only take it in doses. There is a LOT of trash, mainly aluminum scrap and pulltabs. Today, I decided to dig every "tab range" target and it paid off. I had a signal in the high 60s on my AT Gold, and I dug it, not expecting anything, and low and behold I see this.........
IMAG0369.jpg
I immediately recognized it as a silver thimble, an item that I have seen dug so many times on this (web)site, but I had never. I cleaned it off at home and it turns out to be a pre 1880s silver thimble, due to the absence of a purity hallmark. Apparently before ~1883 the amount of silver was so minute that there was no government requirement to display a purity mark. The house is circa Civil War, so it very well could be a "period" silver thimble. AWESOME!

I kept on trudging through the trash and found another keeper....a trade token. The token reads L. T. Johnstons The Fancy Grocer Mebane NC Good For 5c Cigar or Soda. This is actually the second of these tokens I have dug in Mebane. The other was over one mile away! I did some brief research on the store and it was in business in 1913-1916, maybe more.

Yesterday I did some digging at the site and found my 66th Bingham School button, post Civil War Scovill backmark, and an interesting piece of sterling. It is pictured by the sterling thimble. Please help if you can help ID that item. There was a prong soldered on the back of one of the silver cups. I have found about 5 of these clusters of silver "beads" now. I am hoping to figure out what they were for! Thanks for looking guys and gals!
IMAG0370.jpg
IMAG0379.jpg
IMAG0380.jpg
IMAG0383.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Don't you just love silver. How long did it take?

Last edited:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool sterling thimble, but I really like that token too. Looks like it might be prohibition era (good for "soda" or cigar)

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
recondigger, if you are asking how long it took in my detecting career, I started detecting(seriously) in 2009, and this is the first silver thimble I have dug. I have dug about 11 non silver thimbles. If you were asking how long it took to find it today, I got out of my car, and it was my honest to gosh first signal that I dug.

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome digs!!

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
recondigger, if you are asking how long it took in my detecting career, I started detecting(seriously) in 2009, and this is the first silver thimble I have dug. I have dug about 11 non silver thimbles. If you were asking how long it took to find it today, I got out of my car, and it was my honest to gosh first signal that I dug.

Well hard to beat for a first signal. I was asking about how many years It was before you found it. Sorry about that.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A mate found one this weekend & I told him that they are a rare find. It takes Dad & I about 2000 hours to find just 1 - congrats!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool...looks brand new

beau-bc

Mar 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT&Deus for relics &coins
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good detecting,takes work but well worth it,nice finds.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Silver thimbles are hard to come by. I'm still waiting for mine.....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
casper2.jpg I BEEN HUNTING OVER 30+ YRS AND HAVE ONLY FOUND 1 SILVER ONE - PRE 1900s
HAVE GOTTEN MANY COLONIAL BRASS ONES - STILL HOPING TO GET A COLONIAL SILVER ONE ONE DAY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions