It was a Silver Kiind of Day...

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a local school that I have not detected yet. Too many cars in the parking lot so I will wait until Sunday. On the way back, I tucked into an antique store just to get out of the HEAT and RAIN...geeze. I found this beauty and just had to get it. I have been collecting police and fire memorabilia for over 40 years, and to find a sterling badge in a small antique store is a treat! This is a WW2 era Police Petty Officer's badge, in original shape. Not dug up, I know, but a piece of American treasure, none the less!

Acorn badge1.jpg Acorn badge2.jpg

Well I was "riding that high" and went to a local park that was built in 2011, just to harvest some clad for my favorite charity. But, what the heck, I pulled this 1947 silver quarter from the lawn just outside of the playground. (Probably a fill dirt deposit?) Hey, I'll take it!

Ladybug2.jpg

"Riding that high," I went to a local school with Julio just to scrape some more clad out of the lawn. Well, I found a cute little marked .925 sterling silver Ladybug ring out of the lawn, along with a gold colored plated earring, a "My Little Pony" pendant, and a fistful of clad. I found 7 clad quarters in one hole! Just a great day, despite the heat.

Ladybug1.jpg Ladybug3.jpg

Thanks for peeking, my friends. Remember, just as the British SAS motto says, "He who dares wins." Don't let a little 100 degree heat keep you from digging! Cheers, Sub 8-)

Upvote 20
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice day at school! :icon_thumleft:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good day that badge is cool. Any of us Treausre hunters go into an antique store will be coming out with something. lol

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a good day that badge is cool. Any of us Treausre hunters go into an antique store will be coming out with something. lol

I'm with you Tommy. I stay out of those places. All I need is another hobby or thing to collect. Gary

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That badge is a great looking find Sub. Nice job on the quarter and rings also. If I didn't detect in the heat during Illinois Summers, and the cold in the Winters, there wouldn't be many months left to detect !

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye for the badge find. Nice handful of saves from the school yard. That’s a nice sterling piece. Congrats

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That badge is awesome & some nice silvers saves, Definitely a great day, congrats & HH

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man this WWII US Police Petty Officer's Badge was a sweet find at the antique shop, amazing that it's 'Sterling Silver' too! :occasion14:
There's some corrosion on the solder on the pin attachment, I wonder if it actually spent some time in the ground.

Probably just stored in a damp basement or in a garage. :icon_scratch:
Love to see a pic of that baby all polished up in a Riker display box.

Oh yeah, congrats on your silver and jewelry finds too! :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• Acorn badge1.jpg
    Acorn badge1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man this WWII US Police Petty Officer's Badge was a sweet find at the antique shop, amazing that it's 'Sterling Silver' too! :occasion14:
There's some corrosion on the solder on the pin attachment, I wonder if it actually spent some time in the ground.

Probably just stored in a damp basement or in a garage. :icon_scratch:
Love to see a pic of that baby all polished up in a Riker display box.

Oh yeah, congrats on your silver and jewelry finds too! :laughing7:
Dave

Thank you Dave, One thing I have learned while collecting old sterling silver badges is this...NEVER polish the patina off of them if it occurred naturally due to age. (Some idiots expose silver badges to ammonia to artificially "age" them.") The value of the badge to collectors includes the black patina! Sub 8-)

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Dave, One thing I have learned while collecting old sterling silver badges is this...NEVER polish the patina off of them if it occurred naturally due to age. (Some idiots expose silver badges to ammonia to artificially "age" them.") The value of the badge to collectors includes the black patina! Sub 8-)

Good advice Sub, I tend to polish the snot out of anything that looks like it should be shiny! :laughing7:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions