What's new

It was just an optical illusion!

RickFlorida

Greenie
Joined
Feb 4, 2025
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
I was wrong. After getting new pictures, the optical illusion of the reversed cross looked correct. So weird!
 

Attachments

  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    129.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Is this unusual to have "slabbed" NGC certified coins look so different in photos? I don't see this problem with others so I don't think it's an optical illusion. The one on the Ebay listing clearly has a "relief" or cut out strike of the cross while the original NGC images you can view on their site, the cross is convex/high/positive strike. So someone must have copied the original coin, and cast a fake that is reversed?
 
it is just an illusion, there are no intaglio 8 reales from Mexico
 
, Rick ... it's the photo that makes the strike appear incuse ... the price seems a bit high, but the coin looks genuine ... for that much money, you could possibly get a better example (unslabbed) ... the eBay seller has a good rep, & offers a 30-day return

...there's a LOT of fakes on eBay & other sites, & if you're new to the subject of Spanish cobs, I'd suggest finding a knowledgeable & reputable dealer, who will guarantee the coin & offer a return if not satisfied ...

...the problem with buying from someone unfamiliar with these coins is that the seller may not know what it is that he has. Too many sellers are relying on artificial Intelligence programs & apps to identify Spanish cobs, & these programs are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate in this arena

... If you wish, contact me through this site & I'd be happy to help steer ya to good dealers (30 year collector here, not selling any of mine) ... also, be glad to help on any cob you're considering, if you wish ...

...CAUTION ... Cobs are addictive ...
 
Last edited:
, Rick ... it's the photo that makes the strike appear incuse ... the price seems a bit high, but the coin looks genuine ... for that much money, you could possibly get a better example (unslabbed) ... the eBay seller has a good rep, & offers a 30-day return

...there's a LOT of fakes on eBay & other sites, & if you're new to the subject of Spanish cobs, I'd suggest finding a knowledgeable & reputable dealer, who will guarantee the coin & offer a return if not satisfied ...

...the problem with buying from someone unfamiliar with these coins is that the seller may not know what it is that he has. Too many sellers are relying on artificial Intelligence programs & apps to identify Spanish cobs, & these programs are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate in this arena

... If you wish, contact me through this site & I'd be happy to help steer ya to good dealers (30 year collector here, not selling any of mine) ... also, be glad to help on any cob you're considering, if you wish ...

...CAUTION ... Cobs are addictive ...
Thanks for the great tips. I'll reach out to you directly maybe for recommendations thanks. For now, I just look up their Certification number with NGC, etc and make sure the pictures on file with them absolutely match the pictures of the newly photographed listings. It's how I think the Ebay listing I relate to might be a switched out one. So far, all the other NGC or otherwise certified coins look exactly the same. But I'm sure there's more I can learn.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom