🥇 BANNER Its a little too early for champagne buuuuttt ...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a little too early for champagne buuuuttt ...

Please join me in my excitement this morning as yesterday I dug a perfectly beautiful rare CSA Atlanta Arsenal style belt buckle! It was my first target of the afternoon and while I'm amazed at my find, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. The first CSA buckle like this I had ever seen was a few months ago at the Middle Tennessee Metal Detecting Club meeting and our very own DMan Doug was the proud owner. This is the Atlanta Arsenal style CSA rectangle and was probably issued in Dalton, Georgia in 1863. My buckle even had a little bit of black leather still attached under the two main hooks because copper sulfite was used to cast the plate and it inhibited decay and infestation of insects. I still can't believe my incredible luck this morning. It was laying face up and as soon as I saw the "A" it registered in my mind what I had unearthed and I just had to sit there in reverence a minute before I could get up and go show it to my husband who was equally as shocked and happy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 102
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG! You are lucky. My definition of luck: Where opportunity and preparation meet. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once again all,thank you so much for the recognition and kind words.I've only been hunting seriously for a year and realize how truly lucky I have been to find this. Makes all those dog days of digging trash totally worth it. I think we're all a special kind of breed though because I know that even the most mundane of everyday things people used in the past are fascinating to true diggers and don't have to be worth a lot to still be valuable. It's the experiences we have more than anything and the bonds we make through treasure hunting.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
woo hoo! What a find! All three puppy paws intact too. awesome!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on your great banner find.

You said something interesting to me which often happens 'in the field' - "I saw the "A" it registered in my mind what I had"

It happens to me a lot & I'm not even sure how I do it (over than the love for the hobby/items) but I only need to see a small piece of an item & I know instantly what it used to be, even if I have only seen a picture in a book several years ago. Funny thing was, none of this kind of stuff 'stuck' when I was doing my exams!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one that will be the centerpiece of your finds display for a long time. :hello2:

Congrats and perhaps you will find some more great confederate relics from that site. :)

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations! You da Girl! I drooled all over my keyboard because this was my holy grail during my many vacations of digging around Stones River; Milton and ect....

SD

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Not one for that bubbly stuff but that's a Find of Epic Proportions

Break Out The Dom Perignon 86

Don't mind the beer mugs .
Congrats & Continued Success To You and Yours

CHEERS
:occasion14:

CMD

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was out of town past few days.. getting caught up w/ posts, and want to say congrats on your Banner find!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is flat out awesome. Congrats on the well deserved banner. :notworthy:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just catching up on this as well...Fantastic find, and congratulations on the banner. I know I would be spending more detecting time in that area! My area has some history, but not like that!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Awesome find Coily. "CSA" anything is always sweet, a buckle is one of the Holy Grails of CW relic hunting. Congrats on the well-deserved banner for it.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Coilygirl... you drive a HARD BARGAIN.... I'll give 7 1/2 cleaned up horseshoes from the 3 1/2 dirty ones I offered....!!! :BangHead: But I'll have to clean up some more first... :dontknow: Word of caution though... The highest I'll go is 24 1/2 shoes and don't ask for any more or deal off.... I'll PM address to send buckle ASAP.... Hope you and the Mister have a great evening... :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread