ITS A ROCK!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Ok I know its a rock its not Galss but what is it. The guy doesn't remember where he go it. Been lugging it around for yrs. I was intrigued with it, and we were talking about agate, as we have alot of petrified wood here. But I don't think its agate. he grew up in Kentucky and Knows he had it since a kid. WHAT IS IT?

11 lbs 13 oz of pure whatsit

Attachments

• DSCN2302.JPG
    DSCN2302.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,142
  • DSCN2303.JPG
    DSCN2303.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 847
  • DSCN2304.JPG
    DSCN2304.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 847

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
I also have to say, due to the surface texture & fractures that it looks like what what we call "pop bottle" or slag glass. A place nearby has pieces up to 100 pounds.
Brad

Upvote 0

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not uncommon to find Jasper like that , Not normal for that size but I can not tell by a photo !

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My bet would be "yard-ornamentation" glass (for lack of a better term). If I recall correctly, 30-something years ago... or was it 40... I saw similar-sized (large) greenish chunks of it for sale at places like the equivalent of Home Depot, next to the big chunks of Pumice, and etc, for use in creating "rock gardens" in your yard. Remember, that was in the time when most soft-drink bottles were made of glass, not plastic. Also at that time, there was a 2-cent to 5-cent deposit on soft-drink bottles. Some "entrepreneurial" folks came up with a use for the damaged ones that got turned in for the Deposit money, but could not be re-used.

The explanation for the pale-green color you see in the photo: At that time, nearly all soft-drink bottles were either green glass, yellow-green, or clear glass. Melt down a mixture of them and this is the color you got.

Olivine, by the way, is a semi-precious stone. A nearly-flawless chunk of transparent (gem-quality) Olivine that large would be worth huge bucks.

Upvote 0

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Hmmm... as I recall it looks quite a bit like a dilithium crystal. But... it also looks like slag glass. And since Star Fleet keeps a tight control on dilithium, glass is far more likely.

Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud, this is way out there BUT......
Could be a Venusian Ice rock or "Uranium glass". Expose it to a blacklight and see if it glows in the dark.

:offtheair: :idea1:

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Slag glass, but uncommonly clear. I also saw pieces up to 100 lbs. at a rock place in Ark. It it is peridot, it is the world's biggest, and I am a buyer! Wrong color for Kryptonite, and dilithium has striations in the crystal form. Any other guesses, rock heads? Definately not leaveright. Great garden piece.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Could also be obsidian(volcanic)" or maybe sand silica lightning glass

Its neither,in the sixties it was common to "make",these.Its basically just slag glass.I used to buy it from a rock dealer in Nevada that had every color under the rainbow,even had red white and Blue....I knapped arrowheads from it.Was GREAT for that

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread