What's new

ITS A ROCK!

texan connection

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
4,565
Reaction score
79
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Ok I know its a rock its not Galss but what is it. The guy doesn't remember where he go it. Been lugging it around for yrs. I was intrigued with it, and we were talking about agate, as we have alot of petrified wood here. But I don't think its agate. he grew up in Kentucky and Knows he had it since a kid. WHAT IS IT?

11 lbs 13 oz of pure whatsit
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2302.webp
    DSCN2302.webp
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,171
  • DSCN2303.webp
    DSCN2303.webp
    119.7 KB · Views: 871
  • DSCN2304.webp
    DSCN2304.webp
    112.8 KB · Views: 868
sorry, looks like glass (google slag glass) to me.

if it isn it, try olivine:
6olivine64.jpg


but that would be a huge chunk if it was
 
Upvote 0
Be a pretty big hunk of Slag glass also dont ya think
 
Upvote 0
I also have to say, due to the surface texture & fractures that it looks like what what we call "pop bottle" or slag glass. A place nearby has pieces up to 100 pounds.
Brad
 
Upvote 0
Its cool looking :icon_thumleft:

And would make a great conversational piece... :coffee2:

Blaze
 
Upvote 0
I think its either Kyrponite, or at the very least, Kindacoolium
 
Upvote 0
It is not uncommon to find Jasper like that , Not normal for that size but I can not tell by a photo !
 
Upvote 0
cant remember pine resign or something
 
Upvote 0
My bet would be "yard-ornamentation" glass (for lack of a better term). If I recall correctly, 30-something years ago... or was it 40... I saw similar-sized (large) greenish chunks of it for sale at places like the equivalent of Home Depot, next to the big chunks of Pumice, and etc, for use in creating "rock gardens" in your yard. Remember, that was in the time when most soft-drink bottles were made of glass, not plastic. Also at that time, there was a 2-cent to 5-cent deposit on soft-drink bottles. Some "entrepreneurial" folks came up with a use for the damaged ones that got turned in for the Deposit money, but could not be re-used.

The explanation for the pale-green color you see in the photo: At that time, nearly all soft-drink bottles were either green glass, yellow-green, or clear glass. Melt down a mixture of them and this is the color you got.

Olivine, by the way, is a semi-precious stone. A nearly-flawless chunk of transparent (gem-quality) Olivine that large would be worth huge bucks.
 
Upvote 0
Hmmm... as I recall it looks quite a bit like a dilithium crystal. But... it also looks like slag glass. And since Star Fleet keeps a tight control on dilithium, glass is far more likely.
 
Upvote 0
Slag glass for sure. First time I ever saw any was outside a rock shop in Gatlinburg TN. They had huge piles of it in all colors shapes & sizes. Said they get it from a glass factory by the truckload and sell it to the tourists. It's nothing more than the left overs from making runs of colored glass. http://www.colemanquartz.com/SlagGlass.htm
 
Upvote 0
Hey bud, this is way out there BUT......
Could be a Venusian Ice rock or "Uranium glass". Expose it to a blacklight and see if it glows in the dark.

:offtheair: :idea1:
 
Upvote 0
Slag glass, but uncommonly clear. I also saw pieces up to 100 lbs. at a rock place in Ark. It it is peridot, it is the world's biggest, and I am a buyer! Wrong color for Kryptonite, and dilithium has striations in the crystal form. Any other guesses, rock heads? Definately not leaveright. Great garden piece.
 
Upvote 0
stefen said:
Could also be obsidian(volcanic)" or maybe sand silica lightning glass

Its neither,in the sixties it was common to "make",these.Its basically just slag glass.I used to buy it from a rock dealer in Nevada that had every color under the rainbow,even had red white and Blue....I knapped arrowheads from it.Was GREAT for that
 
Upvote 0
Glass slag fur sure, we have several
can tell by the lines and breaks in the glass
Brady
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom