What's new

Its CLEAR that I dont know what this is...LOL

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,657
Reaction score
287
Golden Thread
0
Location
Austin T.X.
I dug this artifact in a Midden here in South Austin. Tx....Not sure what it is but I am pretty sure what it is NOT...Its not a net weight,or a hammerstone.I had a few longtime collectors say that it was a ShamenStone ...Now what that is I have no clue....what do yall think?..The pix do it no Justice at all, it is even more clear then it seems in the Pix.





 
Upvote 0
a very large diamond ?? doesn't looked worked to me.
 
Could be a dino stomach rock. They use to eat rocks to help with their digestive like chickens and gravel for their gizzards. Never seen one clear though. It has the rite shape and size for one. Could be a gem stone. I like it no matter what it is.
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure the derivation of the term, but manuports describe items transported to sites as raw materials, but not themselves altered for use as tools. It can cover paintstones, such as graphite or hematite, raw material to be utilized, but also items that have been called "magic stones" or "shaman stones". These are things like quartz crystals, gastroliths(dinosaur gizzard stones), other nice crystals, etc. that one might expect to find in a shaman's kit. This is likely where your long time collector friends got that idea. Generally, demonstrating the cultural association is done by the presence of other artifacts, in the case of say a nice quartz crystal seemingly out of place otherwise, or by the types of wear they display, like graphite showing powder was scratched out of it. Finding it in a midden demonstrates some cultural association. If a person knows a camp really well, from years of hunting that camp, you can get a good feel for things out of place and that might have been transported there. Tough call when something isn't really altered. If part of a shaman's("medicine man") kit, gotta wonder why he might toss it in a midden? Then again, anything can end up in a midden, even burials at times.

if it's even more translucent then your camera shows, as you say, I can see why the old timers thought part of shaman's kit. But obviously, anybody at anytime could like it enough to collect it. I collect fossils and so did the people who lived here before me as I find fossils on campsites that were most likely transported there. You won't really be able to prove what that rock was all about to whoever collected it in the past, but I know I enjoy finds like this. More then just another tool in some ways.
 
Last edited:
Thanx for all the great info guys,I have dug and hunted this place for the past 4-5 years and never found anything like it.I will try to get pix of one part of it that seems to have 3 small faint lines in it.Its prolly a Nat. set of lines as it being Quartz ,its pretty hard stone.It would be even more clear if I could bring myself to clean it all the way off,but who am I to alter it in any way.
 
I'm not sure the derivation of the term, but manuports describe items transported to sites as raw materials, but not themselves altered for use as tools. It can cover paintstones, such as graphite or hematite, raw material to be utilized, but also items that have been called "magic stones" or "shaman stones". These are things like quartz crystals, gastroliths(dinosaur gizzard stones), other nice crystals, etc. that one might expect to find in a shaman's kit. This is likely where your long time collector friends got that idea. Generally, demonstrating the cultural association is done by the presence of other artifacts, in the case of say a nice quartz crystal seemingly out of place otherwise, or by the types of wear they display, like graphite showing powder was scratched out of it. Finding it in a midden demonstrates some cultural association. If a person knows a camp really well, from years of hunting that camp, you can get a good feel for things out of place and that might have been transported there. Tough call when something isn't really altered. If part of a shaman's("medicine man") kit, gotta wonder why he might toss it in a midden? Then again, anything can end up in a midden, even burials at times. if it's even more translucent then your camera shows, as you say, I can see why the old timers thought part of shaman's kit. But obviously, anybody at anytime could like it enough to collect it. I collect fossils and so did the people who lived here before me as I find fossils on campsites that were most likely transported there. You won't really be able to prove what that rock was all about to whoever collected it in the past, but I know I enjoy finds like this. More then just another tool in some ways.
I like this comment well spoken boss
 
that is some sort of river tumbled agate, I find them on the beach all the time. I bumps you see on it would have been a rough and interesting surface that ground down over time. Some sort of silica to be sure, i can certainly see someone picking it up and admiring it for awhile, i would. These are often fossils but usually are just minerals that fill voids over time.
 
Iam also lookin into Texas Topaz...from what I have looked into so far...It could be...But alot more research in needed...
 
If there is a science center near you id take it to them. They can tell you what type of rock it is. Might be worth a nice chunk of $
 
I like it whether it's an artifact or not. If I saw it on the river, I'd pick it up and the Indians probably were no different.
 
I find the same thing....from my opinion based off cleavage plane on the ones i find here in Austin...maybe TOPAZ.
 
That looks like one of the Sankara Stones from the Indiana Jones movie.
 
Appears to be a water worn clear agate. It's been 2 years, did you figure it out?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom