As a newbie here on Tnet, this topic shook me up. I never even thought about how MDing could be dangerous, so thanks for the warning.
And it makes me feel good to know I'm in the company of genuinely good human beings as an MDer. It scares me how often folks nowadays don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.
As a former cop, I second the caution to those considering carrying a firearm without proper training and experience -- you actually put yourself more at risk. So exercise your right to protect yourself, but make sure you know what to do and how to do it. The power to take a life is an awesome responsibility.
Also noticed how many military vets we have among us, and want to say thanks for all you've done to protect our still great country and those in it. Most of my relatives served one way or another (I think that's where I got the impetus to join law enforcement), and I've always been very proud of that. I know we wouldn't be able to enjoy MDing and a lot of the other freedoms most Americans take for granted without the service of our vets. So just...thanks a LOT. You're the best.
Mary in PA