Its only a matter of time...Minelab se...am I a traitor???

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Go for it Gregg, If you try it out for a few months and don't like it, you can always trade it for some other unit to try out.
You always got the DFX to get your coins.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
All I can say is welcome to the Minelab family. I love my Explorer II and wouldn't trade it for anything! OK maybe an even trade for an SE. Good luck let us know how it works out.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Gregg,

Most of the best posts in this and other forums have one thing in common. They are usually posted by DFX or Explorer users. I have been debating which machine to upgrade to. My research tells me that you cannot go wrong with either. My main question is "is the explorer worth the extra $$$?"

I am leaning toward the explorer more for the reason that I like the graphic display better than the DFX's display. I am not sure that an extra inch is going to make that much of a difference in discoveries, as most of the coins I see pictured fall in the four to ten inch range.

My real question is What about your user name; ?

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
weasel606 said:
nothing wrong with adding another detector ;) congrats Gregg it will serve you well once you get to know it ;D

thanks very close to sealing a deal! :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Dimeman said:
Go for it Gregg, If you try it out for a few months and don't like it, you can always trade it for some other unit to try out.
You always got the DFX to get your coins.

Thanks I think tomorrow may be the day...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
mastereagle22 said:
All I can say is welcome to the Minelab family. I love my Explorer II and wouldn't trade it for anything! OK maybe an even trade for an SE. Good luck let us know how it works out.

Thanks I guess I will have all the questions everyone has heard a million times! ::)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Neil in West Jersey said:
Gregg,

Most of the best posts in this and other forums have one thing in common. They are usually posted by DFX or Explorer users. I have been debating which machine to upgrade to. My research tells me that you cannot go wrong with either. My main question is "is the explorer worth the extra $$$?"

I am leaning toward the explorer more for the reason that I like the graphic display better than the DFX's display. I am not sure that an extra inch is going to make that much of a difference in discoveries, as most of the coins I see pictured fall in the four to ten inch range.

Neil that is funny.... I think the new user name will be dfx-explorer Gregg (can I change it)??? ??? Makes it obvious what my weapons of choice will be for my upcoming spring raid! ;D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Tom-MXT said:
Gregg, I don't see any problem with having two different brands in your home.Anyone who does has a small mind. If they were cars instead of detectors,i don't think that anyone would have a problem if you had a 65 Shelby GT 350 and a 1957 Corvette in your garage..

Not 10 mins ago,i PM'd jeff in pa about your next move,and asked him about his minelab. I told him you have this "Depth" thing going on,and were probably trying to detect all the way down to hell to steal the devils coins LOL. I have been thinking about a minelab in my future too..........Tom aka Groundshaker (in the other forum)

Tom and how deep would these devils coins be ??? ;D actually I would like them...hopefully the Minelab is what everyone on the 4 forums I post told me it was...DEEP The first thing I will do is bury some coins at 7 inches...if it clearly picks them up...I will have a smile on my face! Learning will be next....but closing the deal hopefully today will be first! Thanks!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
DFX-Gregg said:
Gregg,

How about XDFXGregg , or EXDFXGregg ;D

Neil that is funny.... I think the new user name will be dfx-explorer Gregg (can I change it)??? ??? Makes it obvious what my weapons of choice will be for my upcoming spring raid! ;D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
DFX-Gregg said:
Gregg,

How about XDFXGregg , or EXDFXGregg ;D

Ex dfx gregg hummm...is the se going to work that well...I hope so...but for now will keep both...closing deal tomorrow..seems MLK holiday has post offices closed?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my club hunts I quit entering the deep coin hunt, (6" or deeper for silver dimes and quarters). I use a Garrett GTI 2500 and the Minelab users had all the prize coins dug up before I really got started. Oh, my GTI has found some coins that deep but the tones were really iffy and it takes too long to figure out whether to dig or not. Most of the coinage I find is 6" or less. My ACE 250 will go just as deep it seems , at least for coins. The 2500 will go deeper for larger articles such as artifacts however. But, the Minelab will be my next machine. I had debated between it and the DFX but had settled on the Minelab. Now I am just saving my pennies....literally, and hope to get it by next fall. Good luck EX-DFX - Gregg! ;)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Monty said:
At my club hunts I quit entering the deep coin hunt, (6" or deeper for silver dimes and quarters). I use a Garrett GTI 2500 and the Minelab users had all the prize coins dug up before I really got started. Oh, my GTI has found some coins that deep but the tones were really iffy and it takes too long to figure out whether to dig or not. Most of the coinage I find is 6" or less. My ACE 250 will go just as deep it seems , at least for coins. The 2500 will go deeper for larger articles such as artifacts however. But, the Minelab will be my next machine. I had debated between it and the DFX but had settled on the Minelab. Now I am just saving my pennies....literally, and hope to get it by next fall. Goo luck EX-DFX - Gregg! ;)

Thanks Monty the deal is now sealed...on its way fed ex tomorrow! :) Should be an interesting year...let me know when you get yours...hopefully by then I will know what i am doing :D!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
KirkPA said:
Did you get the machine yet?

Kirk

It will be here by end of week...but probably will not get out with it for a while, Saturday night was 4 below here...My six hunts that one week have been it! But my new rock tumbler is busy.. :D 8)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
bedpanmoneyman said:
Gregg, Gregg, Gregg....what are you thinkin?
Oh well, I don't own any stock in Whites so I don't care ;D ;D ;D

:D ;D ;)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I'd say that a metal detector is like a tool. Use the right tool for the right job to get the best results. It's like the old saying, "Be aware of the man who only has one gun. Why you ask, because he just might know how to use it".

The same thing applies to metal detectors. From what I have seen, the ML EX Series out performs other on turf but when it comes to demolitions sites and trashy areas, all bets are off.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Again Gregg, I think you made a good choice, specially in terms of depth. If you want a machine that you can be confident will get down there, that is definately in my opinion what will contribute to a confident and motivated hunt. The reputation the Explorer has regarding depth is only a plus, but I do not believe it ends there. Even with the huge stock coil, the detector is also well known for its separation and ability to identify targets next to trash and iron. I have seen the Explorer do very well in that arena. You can have the trash right next to the target, and while the machine may be iffy on the numbers or cross-hairs, the sound it makes is true almost every time. It really seems to "Sniff" things out right under from trash. Also, the smaller coils they make go deep. I hunted with Joe G not too long ago and watched him stick his arm all the way down to retrieve a penny (Joe was fuming) using an 8" coil. At 8", the coil looks alot smaller, and it was truly amazing to see that little coil get so much depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread