Its only a matter of time...Minelab se...am I a traitor???

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
bridgeendfarm said:
Personally I think to each their own and each manufacturer/machine has advantanges and disadvantanges. The more you use it the better you become. I am more interested in why your not hitting targets beyond 6 inches with the DFX. I use my DFX regularly and hits coins/nails/pull tabs/etc in the 8-10 inch range regularly. So I am surprized by the limited 6 inches. Have you swapped out the coil and gotten the same results? I'd be interested in the DFX if you wish to part with it, send me a pm. Good luck with your new toy and wish you the best as you develop a relationship with it.

Thanks I am guessing soil conditions play a roll... I have swapped coils, stock and the 5.3. It is great you are getting 8-10 inches with your dfx. I have been contacted by tons of dfx users saying :"me too" on the lack of depth...but most are now ex-dfx users that have switched to a Minelab or a Fisher F-75. Will not be interested in selling dfx till I learn the se... I can easily collect enough to pay for se with dfx...and once I learn se...will have that pay for itself and some accessories... ;)

odave

Nov 20, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3 DFX
Gregg

I will be very interested in your results with the SE
I don't think your a traitor at all.
I would not mind having an SE either!
It will add to your enjoyment of this great hobby!
All the best!

Dave

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
KirkPA said:
Do you have it now? How does it compare to the DFX?

Kirk

I do have it...no way to compare it to the dfx yet...weather has been horrible here! I have not hunted since I got out that one week we had with record temps...just got it on Thursday...since then...temps were between 4 below and 9 degrees here :(..today finally in the teens...not even sure if ground will be diggable when it cracks freezing on Monday. But will let you know...going to try to get a few extras for it in trades...if anyone has a new battery pack for it or rods, or any coils for the se and want to trade let me know might be interested...I always like to have a smaller coil and an extra factory battery pack..would prefer new...the items I have are Whites accessories that would be new in the trade...also posted under classifieds in the for trade section...

Kirk I will let you know...oddly enough I am still reading Digging deeper with the dfx by Foster...want to give the dfx a fair chance once I learn the Se...just in case there is something I missed....more then half way thru the book...not much I did not know or try already... I am planning to go over previously hunted ground from the dfx with the se first....should be interesting...the dfx will act as my clad recovery machine...recovery as in helping to pay for the se! :D ;D

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

The DFX wil locate any metal object at depth equal to any machine out there. Period.
The Explorers will accurately ID a coin at a greater depth than a DFX regardless of how cranked up you run your DFX. Period.
This does not mean however that you cannot find and recover VERY deep coins with your DFX. You just have to rely on clues other than a screen or sound saying "this is most likely a deep coin". And you will dig more non-coin items at depth with the DFX while sniffing for the deep coins. And....to me...if I am in an area where there are deep old coins...I WANT to recover even those non-coin targets. They may be more valuable historically than the coins.
I have considered for some time buying an Explorer. I think that the DFX is far better balanced for it's weight and makes all-day hunting much less of a chore.
I'll probably still end up with one, but some folks (JerDFX comes to mind) have shown me how to go deeper with the DFX than it would ever seem able to.
I think you'll be happy Greg...and probably even up your silver count....but I always got the feeling reading your posts that you just needed to be shown a few things by the right people to get more from your Whites. (and I am NOT just talking about what program settings either)
Good luck w/your new machine!

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
This does not mean however that you cannot find and recover VERY deep coins with your DFX. You just have to rely on clues other than a screen or sound saying "this is most likely a deep coin". And you will dig more non-coin items at depth with the DFX while sniffing for the deep coins. And....to me...if I am in an area where there are deep old coins...I WANT to recover even those non-coin targets.

Very well said, Dan.

HH
ZoSo71

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
ZoSo71 said:
This does not mean however that you cannot find and recover VERY deep coins with your DFX. You just have to rely on clues other than a screen or sound saying "this is most likely a deep coin". And you will dig more non-coin items at depth with the DFX while sniffing for the deep coins. And....to me...if I am in an area where there are deep old coins...I WANT to recover even those non-coin targets.

Very well said, Dan.

HH
ZoSo71

Well thanks Dave! We should get together during this crappy weather and down a few.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Zip Zip said:
Rumour has it.......that an SE can tell you whether the coin is ,heads,tails or on it's side. Jus teasin ;D :D

The truth is that they say you might be able to guess the date on a coin.

This is quoted from Kellyco's web site:

With the Explorer SE you can now discriminate targets in the digital screen using the dual coordinate ferrous and conductivity digital display, giving you over 1000 pre-programmed target signatures. Explorer SE's dual coordinate digital display is the most advanced target ID system on the market today. Not only will you be able to predict the type of coin underneath the coil, you might also be able to guess the coin's date!

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danimal said:
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.The DFX wil locate any metal object at depth equal to any machine out there. Period.
The Explorers will accurately ID a coin at a greater depth than a DFX regardless of how cranked up you run your DFX. Period.

I'll agree with that,Dan, but also add that I just tested a Fisher CZ-3D in a dealer test garden against both the DFX and the Exp se.

The Fisher IDed a dime at 10" with a nice round clear tone, no doubt dig it. The DFX couldn't even sniff out a signal, and the Exp se was iffy at best, and didn't really commit to the target.

Just sayin'.

Ken

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Kas. I had a cz7a at one time and it could also detect a dime that deep. Problem was the dime sounded just the same as a nail that deep. I dug a lot of rusty nails that summer ;D. Never did really get the hang of that machine :P

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rebelLT said:
Kas. I had a cz7a at one time and it could also detect a dime that deep. Problem was the dime sounded just the same as a nail that deep. I dug a lot of rusty nails that summer ;D. Never did really get the hang of that machine :P

Yes sir, agreed. The Cz's may not be as good at discriminating out the iron, as you say, but if it can find a coin or a nail at 10" that's good with me. If you don't know it's there you can't dig it. ;) That's with an 8" coil!

Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread