Its only a matter of time...Minelab se...am I a traitor???

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Well the decision has been made..very soon I will be adding the Minelab se to my arsenal... I have heard a lot about brand or product loyalty. even on a few boards been urged to stay just with my dfx...Well very soon...I will be adding a Minelab se to compliment my dfx. From what I have heard...the matching of these two detectors should give me unbelievable flexibility! 8) Some will say why ??? I have decided to say why not ??? My dfx paid for itself...if I feel the se will not pay for itself...I will make the dfx do it and go from there... I think the dfx with the fast recovery will continue to add all the clad I want to my pockets...while I am hoping the se will pull those 6-8 inch coins the dfx is simply not getting no matter which program I try... any thoughts...would really like to hear anyones opinion..but especially if you have used both the dfx and se...

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I don't think you're a traitor, but by not getting an Explorer, you're betraying yourself. I think everyone can understand the fact that the Explorer machines have no issue nailing coins in the 6-8 inch range. They do it at factory presets. Messing around with a few settings further this range. The DFX may be a good all around machine, and since I've never used one, I'll rest my observation there, but if it takes that much effort/programming to try to get consistent hits past 6", why not just try an Explorer? The Explorer again sees coins that deep in the lowest of sens settings and at factory defaults. I think you made an excellent choice, and honestly, I think the DFX is going to collect dust once you become practiced with the SE. I hope you got or plan on the Sunray Probe, as I can attest that PP'ing is not very accurate with the Explorer. I hear it's better on the SE though.

Ricardo

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Gregg

I have read a few of your posts concerning lack of depth with the DFX . I know nothing at all about the DFX but it seems like a machine that costs that much should get better depth than you're getting . I was just wondering if you had sent the DFX to whites for a checkup . I have read several posts where people have sent their machines in for one reason or another & when they got it back it worked much better than it ever had before . Just curious ?

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Way to go Greg! Your not a traitor, your an open minded person devoted to the hobby. Yes you will have most all the bases covered. A devoted and experienced guy like yourself with an Explorer will have no limits.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had a Minelab before and I am waiting for an X-terra 70 to arrive. Hearing lots of good things about them. Good luck on your SE.
Burdie

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the DFX, and I don't think you're a traitor either.

Though I have to say, I pull silver and indians from 7" easy.

good luck

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
not a traitor, just buying a different tool to do a job. the SE should serve you well. just remember that it sounds nothing like your whites machine! it will take some time to learn what it is saying.

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
Greg I don't think your a traitor.I'm sure your old silver coin count will go up.Enjoy the learning curve.I have a new F-75 ordered.It was -10 degrees here this morning it will be awhile before I can hunt again

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pliers/wise grips
hammer/sledge hammer

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ricardo_NY1 said:
I don't think you're a traitor, but by not getting an Explorer, you're betraying yourself. I think everyone can understand the fact that the Explorer machines have no issue nailing coins in the 6-8 inch range. They do it at factory presets. Messing around with a few settings further this range. The DFX may be a good all around machine, and since I've never used one, I'll rest my observation there, but if it takes that much effort/programming to try to get consistent hits past 6", why not just try an Explorer? The Explorer again sees coins that deep in the lowest of sens settings and at factory defaults. I think you made an excellent choice, and honestly, I think the DFX is going to collect dust once you become practiced with the SE. I hope you got or plan on the Sunray Probe, as I can attest that PP'ing is not very accurate with the Explorer. I hear it's better on the SE though.

Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo..I remember that great silver run you and Tom went on toward the end of the year...your pictures were awesome and made me want to get back out....Weather is horrible right now...going down to ten below zero tonight...those 6 hunts I showed in pic have been it for the year...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I have tried factory recalibration, four coils...to be honest I receive tons of messages across the forums telling me the same thing... lack of depth...then of course I saw someone claim 14 inches with a dfx and quickly congratulated them on having the deepest dfx I have ever heard of! ::)

WV Hillbilly said:
Gregg

I have read a few of your posts concerning lack of depth with the DFX . I know nothing at all about the DFX but it seems like a machine that costs that much should get better depth than you're getting . I was just wondering if you had sent the DFX to whites for a checkup . I have read several posts where people have sent their machines in for one reason or another & when they got it back it worked much better than it ever had before . Just curious ?

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
muleskinner said:
Way to go Greg! Your not a traitor, your an open minded person devoted to the hobby. Yes you will have most all the bases covered. A devoted and experienced guy like yourself with an Explorer will have no limits.

Thanks I will put the time in...ask the questions...learn the answers...and hopefully develop the right combo... :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Burdie said:
I never had a Minelab before and I am waiting for an X-terra 70 to arrive. Hearing lots of good things about them. Good luck on your SE.
Burdie

Thanks I hope the X-terra works for you also... :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
smudger said:
the SE is a good machine and wont let you down.

Thanks I don't think the dfx let me down either, but I feel reading about and seeing the finds of the se users and the other Explorer users wether it is a xs or 2...sold me on the idea...finally... :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Kas said:
I use the DFX, and I don't think you're a traitor either.

Though I have to say, I pull silver and indians from 7" easy.

good luck

How about 8 inches...I cannot remember the last 8.0 reading I had! Maybe its the soil...I guess I will find out I have two spots that come right to mind to take the se...a park with soft soil that the dfx does get up to 6.5 inches in, and the park 7 out of 12 of my silver coins came from...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
hollowpointred said:
not a traitor, just buying a different tool to do a job. the SE should serve you well. just remember that it sounds nothing like your whites machine! it will take some time to learn what it is saying.

Thanks I remember turning tone id on with the dfx...at first I thought what the...beep! But that same day I found a gold ring and never turned it off...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
kickback said:
Greg I don't think your a traitor.I'm sure your old silver coin count will go up.Enjoy the learning curve.I have a new F-75 ordered.It was -10 degrees here this morning it will be awhile before I can hunt again

Same weather here...-10... I got out six straight days..and ran myself into the ground...trying to work midnights and hunt 6 straight landed me with the flu...it did not matter after that record week temperature wise I do not think we have been above freezing more than 2 times! But I am looking forward to March...February always a nightmare here... :(

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've added the MXT to my stable of Tesoros and had at one time a green machine as well. I like them all, but in different ways for different types of hunting. For instance one model is about perfect for competition hunting even though I do use it for other types as well. They all have their pluses and minuses. Go for it - if serves you better, great.
Bill

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
luvsdux said:
I've added the MXT to my stable of Tesoros and had at one time a green machine as well. I like them all, but in different ways for different types of hunting. For instance one model is about perfect for competition hunting even though I do use it for other types as well. They all have their pluses and minuses. Go for it - if serves you better, great.
Bill

Thanks Bill.. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread