Its only a matter of time...Minelab se...am I a traitor???

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greg, First of all best wishes with the SE.

I'm a DFX user also and love the machine but I've been looking at the Minelabs myself and hear very good things about them. One member of my club has not used his DFX since getting the SE and has also purchased the Excalibur to replace his Beach Hunter ID. With me I just can't justify spending the additional money when I have another good machine. I may send my detector in to get re-calibrated since I think I've lost some depth over the last few months. I have a bad habit of leaving my machine in the trunk in all weather. The heat and cold may have effected the machine a little.

Keep us posted on the new machine and if I see you starting to pull old silver from deep I may have to take the plunge.

HH

NJ

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way...how long before we see posts from SE-Gregg???

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries. Brand loyalty is over-rated, anyway.

And now, unlike many around here, you'll be qualified to comment on multiple brands. :D :D :D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Again Gregg, I think you made a good choice, specially in terms of depth. If you want a machine that you can be confident will get down there, that is definately in my opinion what will contribute to a confident and motivated hunt. The reputation the Explorer has regarding depth is only a plus, but I do not believe it ends there. Even with the huge stock coil, the detector is also well known for its separation and ability to identify targets next to trash and iron. I have seen the Explorer do very well in that arena. You can have the trash right next to the target, and while the machine may be iffy on the numbers or cross-hairs, the sound it makes is true almost every time. It really seems to "Sniff" things out right under from trash. Also, the smaller coils they make go deep. I hunted with Joe G not too long ago and watched him stick his arm all the way down to retrieve a penny (Joe was fuming) using an 8" coil. At 8", the coil looks alot smaller, and it was truly amazing to see that little coil get so much depth.

Thanks Ricardo...first I am patiently waiting for the se to arrive should be here by Friday..I have been chaging equipment around made a few trades and purchases...coin tumble, pinpointer, and the se... I will have a few items I will be trying to trade for Minelab products soon..hope it works out... ;)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
N.J.THer said:
Greg, First of all best wishes with the SE.

I'm a DFX user also and love the machine but I've been looking at the Minelabs myself and hear very good things about them. One member of my club has not used his DFX since getting the SE and has also purchased the Excalibur to replace his Beach Hunter ID. With me I just can't justify spending the additional money when I have another good machine. I may send my detector in to get re-calibrated since I think I've lost some depth over the last few months. I have a bad habit of leaving my machine in the trunk in all weather. The heat and cold may have effected the machine a little.

Keep us posted on the new machine and if I see you starting to pull old silver from deep I may have to take the plunge.

HH

NJ

The way I was able to justify buying a second high end machine was working so hard with my dfx last year...I spent endless hours to reach my goals...and pass them......but watching the Minelab users on the different forums and listening to private messages I received made my decision easy...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
N.J.THer said:
By the way...how long before we see posts from SE-Gregg???

If I can start hitting coins past 6-7 inches not long at all! :D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Charlie P. (NY) said:
No worries. Brand loyalty is over-rated, anyway.

And now, unlike many around here, you'll be qualified to comment on multiple brands. :D :D :D

Thanks Charlie...as I did with the dfx...I will study, listen and ask as many questions as possible to find out what the machine will do...One thing I know can happen is talking within that specific brand forum...you can usually end up in arguments with the same model users...guess I will have a whole new group to go back and forth with! :D ;)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
KirkPA said:
Gregg,

I can't wait to see what you find with that SE!

Kirk

Thanks Kirk...I will be trying to trade for a new small coil 8 inch, car charger...and an extra rechargable battery pack for it...have a few items...hopefully once I get it...can swing a few more trades..my new rock tumbler has been going for 3 days....still a lot of clad to be cleaned...will be glad when I get caught up... :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Welcome to the dark side. ;) I once also walked in the light... actually I still have my good side...I just let Nate use it all the time. ;D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Thanks guys..I will have questions! :D :) ;)

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Variety is the spice of life. ;) I sold my Explorer but, only because it was too heavy for me. I currently use an MXT and I am quite happy with it. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the Explorer found coins that were deep. Right now I am looking at a Tesoro as a backup, (Ahhhh..What a great country we live in).

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How heavy is the Explorer SE? I couldn't find any weights given on the Minelab home page. I have a very bad back and am thinking about going from my GTI 2500 to a Minelab machine. The GTI is pretty darn heavy. Monty

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Monty said:
How heavy is the Explorer SE? I couldn't find any weights given on the Minelab home page. I have a very bad back and am thinking about going from my GTI 2500 to a Minelab machine. The GTI is pretty darn heavy. Monty

The SE is the same weight without the Battery as the DFX is with the battery. So the SE is a Explorer Battery pack heavier then the DFX.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey greg,

not a traitor at all, all you are doing is adding another tool to your arsenal - that's all it is, a tool

one warning, be patient - the minelab detects differently from the dfx, it has a different sound & feel to it as well - spend the time and learn all the ins and outs of this machine and no coins will escape you

if you need any help, please PM me, i am by no means an expert but did successfully make the switch from the DFX to the SE

take care and good luck

kevin (vpone)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
vpone said:
hey greg,

not a traitor at all, all you are doing is adding another tool to your arsenal - that's all it is, a tool

one warning, be patient - the minelab detects differently from the dfx, it has a different sound & feel to it as well - spend the time and learn all the ins and outs of this machine and no coins will escape you

if you need any help, please PM me, i am by no means an expert but did successfully make the switch from the DFX to the SE

take care and good luck

Thanks Kevin, I know I will have questions...as my tumbler continues into about its 50th hour of tumbling my clad from last year...I can finally see the end in site and the se arrives tomorrow...but will not get a chance to use for a while right now 1 degree here.... :(

kevin (vpone)

R

robert roy

Why not get the x-70?
Is it a matter of cost?

Regards
RObert R

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
robert roy said:
Why not get the x-70?
Is it a matter of cost?

Regards
RObert R

Just been wanting to try the se...a little late now to get the Xterra...just found out the se is on Fed Ex truck and should be here today...Well seeing right now it is 1 degree...guess it will be a while before i can use...

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Personally I think to each their own and each manufacturer/machine has advantanges and disadvantanges. The more you use it the better you become. I am more interested in why your not hitting targets beyond 6 inches with the DFX. I use my DFX regularly and hits coins/nails/pull tabs/etc in the 8-10 inch range regularly. So I am surprized by the limited 6 inches. Have you swapped out the coil and gotten the same results? I'd be interested in the DFX if you wish to part with it, send me a pm. Good luck with your new toy and wish you the best as you develop a relationship with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread