Its too bloody hot

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
It's too bloody hot

Well, here I sit in my home, nice and cool.....wondering about spots to go detect, knowing that there are coins, jewelry, gold, silver, relics etc out there just waiting to be found...but it is 105 right now with the heat index, humidity is high and it's miserable, even the mosquitos are taking a break from the heat.....I keep thinking about parks with a lot of shade, but even then you drip sweat and it's miserable......and the forecast for the next week?.......a lot of the same heat and humidity........I'm ready for fall

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Re: It's too bloody hot

I hear you, a couple hours here and there is better than none at all. Morning and evening seem to be more tolerable here in the North East.

Tony M SE IA

Sep 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minealab Explorer2

;D 2 of my favorite parks here are used for days just like that! They are loaded with big ol oak trees that make perfect shade.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

i know what you mean , heat index here yesterday was 111 :o got in a half an hour yesterday morn but was dripping in sweat. going to be hot here next week also :-\

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

I make no excuses...if it is hot I hunt shorter...take water...hunt in shade...whatever it takes i will be at 10,000 coins in a few months! ;)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Tony M SE IA said:
;D 2 of my favorite parks here are used for days just like that! They are loaded with big ol oak trees that make perfect shade.

This sounds like the answer to me! :D ;)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JEEEEZ! You East Coast Folks! This weekend it was about 115 in the air, and 123 on the ground in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park! I like it best when it's hottest! There are FAR fewer people around, and the Park Rangers, Border Patrol Officers, and BLM Agents pretty much stay in their air conditioned offices.

HERE'S THE HEAT:
desert1rh9.jpg

OOOOPS! And who wants to run up behind that with three metal detectors in the car?
desert2yl5.jpg

The ONE thing I don't have to contend with is humidity! I grew up in New Orleans, and spent many years at Ft. Bragg, NC. I hate the humidity worse than the heat (I DO feel for you there).

Best-Mike

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007

I spent a few years at Ft Bragg myself 82nd ABN 504th........yea, it's the humidity that kills me, the air gets thick and hard to breath, but I usually go out early in the morn and in the evening for a few hours...I try to hunt a little every day, but I do go on all day hunts often, BTW....today was 98 here and 70% humidity......the same on tap for the rest of the week...but I'll get a few hours hunting in each day ;D

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey!

After I left 3rd Bn/ 75th Inf (Ranger), I went to HHC 313th MI in the 82nd. Then went to 3/319th AFAR 82nd (I was Communications, so I could go pretty much anywhere).

Best-Mike

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007

gollum said:
Hey!

After I left 3rd Bn/ 75th Inf (Ranger), I went to HHC 313th MI in the 82nd. Then went to 3/319th AFAR 82nd (I was Communications, so I could go pretty much anywhere).

Best-Mike

I hear ya, no doubt we have chewed some of the same dirt, I ate a lot of dirt at Bragg, especially at little sicily drop zone...I always landed hard there ;D

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sicily was too small. We always had guys going in the trees.

My favorite time was when we were hosting Canadian Paratroopers (we did an exchange where we went to Canada and got Canadian Jump Wings, and some of them came to Bragg and got US Wings).

It was a night jump (with heavy drop). A 105mm Howitzer landed on a guys garage, and a whole stick of Canadians landed in a mobile home park. One guy even went through a roof and came to a sudden stop in someone's living room. See what darkness and a little wind can do (and idiot pilots from the South Carolina Air National Guard)?

Best-Mike

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007

Lol....man, that brings back memories, I loved it when the Brits came over, excellant soldiers, I remember their reaction when they saw sicily """Good god man, you must be bloody joking""....the pine trees at bragg get a lot of unexpected visitors....... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread