What's new

Jailhouse Rock Lock???

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This afternoon I went back to the same area where I found the odd horseshoe, which I have learned is now a corrective mule shoe. (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,294167.0.html)
Just a few feet from the shoe, I found this iron padlock. The script looks to have a "S" on it, which may be sargent, but I'm not sure. Could it be a jail lock? Any information or ideas would be appreciated. Elvis has left the building.Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Lock1.webp
    Lock1.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 595
  • Lock2.webp
    Lock2.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Lock3.webp
    Lock3.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 467
  • Lock4.webp
    Lock4.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 475
Looks like an S & C :) cool lock!
 
Upvote 0
Very cool! Haven't found anything to pass along yet but I bet someone will have some info for you.

I am so envious you are able to dig again :D
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it is a jailhosue lock, but it is a padlock made by S & Company. Here is one similar that I dug.
Neat Find!
 

Attachments

  • s&co.webp
    s&co.webp
    147.1 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0
Possibly a railway lock...

Scott

PS. The only locks I know of either a "C" or an "S" is Corbin and Schlage..Don't know of any "C&S" or "S&C."
Hope this helps...
 
Upvote 0
It's most likely a railroad lock.
Mike

Whoops - beaten again :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
It's most likely a railroad lock.
Mike

Whoops - beaten again :tongue3:

Mike,
It's all good...we just want the same thing...an I.D. :thumbsup:

Scott
 
Upvote 0
Hmmm...
My eyes are bad, but, (help me out, now) could it be a "S & G," or a "G & S?" That would be a Sargeant and Greenleaf. But that combination of manufacturers is fairly recent.... ???

Scott
 
Upvote 0
They are not listed as railroad locks, but rather general purpose wrought iron lever locks. S & Co. I think is Sargent & Company
 

Attachments

  • locks.webp
    locks.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 900
Upvote 0
Thanks Gang for the help. There are several possibilities since there was a railroad track about 1 block from the area, plus I found 2 other interesting pieces of iron which I will post in the next few minutes. I'm wondering if the mule shoe, lock, and the other iron goodies all have a common denominator. In the same area today, I found a CW musket butt plate and an iron buckle. Creskol, that's a beautiful lock; how did you clean it? I wire brushed this one for about an hour. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Dang creskol awesome lock man!! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
creskol strikes again :headbang: :notworthy:

What are you thinking Breezie? Have you found a travelling trader's stock? What else could be there? ;D
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
What are you thinking Breezie? Have you found a travelling trader's stock? What else could be there? ;D
Mike

Mike, that one particular area is about 15 feet in diameter and has produced find after find this weekend. Since tomorrow is a holiday, I'm headed back, and will post a group pic of the 3 days.

Creskol, from the info I got from the Internet, Sargent started their company in 1857, then in 1865 it became Sargent & Greenleaf. In 1874 S & G began making jail locks. Since both of our locks have the same logo, do you think it is S & C for Sargent & Company or S & G for Sargent and Greenleaf? Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
That is interesting information and good research Breezie! Thanks!

In looking at the only lock reference I have handy at the moment .. The Padlock Collector .. it is listed as S&Co .
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
That is interesting information and good research Breezie! Thanks!

In looking at the only lock reference I have handy at the moment .. The Padlock Collector .. it is listed as S&Co .

I'm going to green check this one as solved, and am going with S & Co. as the maker with thoughts it is Sargent & Co. with the date circa 1857-1865. Thanks to all! Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom