jamestown ca. gold panning

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
Some folks on this site are very familiar with that area. I'd look for a pay to pan site, or an "open" area that the park service runs. Be very careful, most claim owners are "packing" and not to happy to see you. There are areas open for recreational panning up north that I could recommend, But the area I work in Jamestown is private and not open to strangers.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
If you're RVing and stay at Woods Creek RV park, Woods Creek runs thru it and they allow you to pan. The pay to pan spots are also on same creek so your luck could be the same. I was never skunked there but didn't get rich either.

goldyrocks

Apr 12, 2008
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
MXT
Woods creek is the best choice around Jamestown but access is limited. Go to goldfun.com operated by Joshua Vick. He's a good guy and runs a fair pay to pan operation with great creek access. :icon_pirat:goldyrocks

goldyrocks

Apr 12, 2008
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
MXT
;D go to www.goldfun.com........Joshua Vick runs a great pay to pan operation. Honest guy that doesan't salt his operation and he has good gold with lotsa diggin and slicin. Great access as you can park your car within feet of WOODS CREEK WHICH IS STILL A GOOD PRODUCER.....GOLDYROCKS

prettynreal

May 1, 2009
There are a couple of places to go in Jamestown. I went to the one with Miner John. I had seen him on different news reports. He has a website, www.jamestowngoldpanning.com. It's actually kind of nice to see the prices up front. I did the two day trip. The second day was half off which was pretty cool. I am a gold panning addict!

Inform

Greenie
May 3, 2009
I know the area very well, as I lived there once. From experience and others I know, you would do quite well around lake Melones. I have picked it up myself as well as many others I have known. Another interesting area, is the housing subdivision of Gold (something) estates in Columbia. There is a creek there, and the gold and crystals are there. You may actually be surprised that homeowners would more than let you explore if you are respectful, and offer a 50% split! Between Jamestown and Table Mountain areas there are landowners who are kind and would let you pan or detect. Talk to them, knock on their doors, and give it try. We allowed folks to do this when I lived there.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another good place in the area I've tried is Natural Bridges Park on Perrotts Ferry Rd. I always get color in the pan but not enough to call it BIG. And if you go in the summer, beware! The area is noted for the nude swimmers! Really cuts into the panning time.... for us old farts! TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
Another good place in the area I've tried is Natural Bridges Park on Perrotts Ferry Rd. I always get color in the pan but not enough to call it BIG. And if you go in the summer, beware! The area is noted for the nude swimmers! Really cuts into the panning time.... for us old farts! TTC
Yea great place to get your windows broken out and your car ransacked too.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your lucky,I live here and am quite familiar with it going on,go for it :wink:

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
i live in jamestown and have never heard of it. Does it usually happen at night, weekends? I am actually planning on heading down there this weekend to do some panning.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent heard of any this year but for the last few years it was going on on a regular basis,during the day while people were down at the bridges.It happened to a buddy of mine and he parked his truck there and sat across the Highway (on his property)with a rifle and scope......no takers.Camp Nine is another one I WOULD NOT leave your vehicle unattended down there.A guy had his brand new Toyota pickup rolled down the canyon while he was panning.I have not detected Chinese Camp as it is mostly private property,I dont know any of the landowners and there are quite a few detectorists that have hit it hard through out the years.I read some of your past posts and noticed your considering Mark Twains cabin (The Gillis Bros. cabin)I urge you if you already are not to get permission before you go any where.Thanks and Good luck to you.

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
I don't m.d. but I have said I would like to do it around the cabin. I have tried once and it was so frustrating I never did it again. I actually have access to a lot of places and was considering giving it another go if for that reason only.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there and if you dont have a good machine already get one!It will take that frustration out of it,if you learn the machine.Also Mark Twain never lived there and it has been rebuilt several times.The Gillis Bros. lived there and Twain stayed there a time or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread