"JANUARY,1820, while keeping the WASHINGTON HOUSE"

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"It was in the month of January,1820, while keeping the Washington House, that I (Morriss) first saw and became acquainted with Beale"- THE BEALE PAPERS
"He (Morriss) leased for a term of years the Washington Hotel, known now as the Arlington, on Church Street...he removed to the Franklin Hotel, now the Norvell House"-THE BEALE PAPERS

The Washington House/Hotel, where Morriss first became acquainted with Beale was in 1885, now called the Arlington Hotel on Church Street according to the Beale story narrative.
At various times, there were TWO Arlington Hotels in Lynchburg- one on 9th & Main, the other on 8th & Court, not on Church as mentioned in the Beale story narrative.

Was this another purposeful discrepancy placed in the dime novel pamphlet as a wink to the buyer that the Beale Papers was a work of fiction? There are other discrepancies and anachronisms throughout the narrative story that would have been noticed in 1885 Lynchburg, but long forgotten by the Pauline Innis's book and magazine articles gave the Beale Papers a second life.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It was in the month of January,1820, while keeping the Washington House, that I (Morriss) first saw and became acquainted with Beale"- THE BEALE PAPERS
"He (Morriss) leased for a term of years the Washington Hotel, known now as the Arlington, on Church Street...he removed to the Franklin Hotel, now the Norvell House"-THE BEALE PAPERS

The Washington House/Hotel, where Morriss first became acquainted with Beale was in 1885, now called the Arlington Hotel on Church Street according to the Beale story narrative.
At various times, there were TWO Arlington Hotels in Lynchburg- one on 9th & Main, the other on 8th & Court, not on Church as mentioned in the Beale story narrative.

Was this another purposeful discrepancy placed in the dime novel pamphlet as a wink to the buyer that the Beale Papers was a work of fiction? There are other discrepancies and anachronisms throughout the narrative story that would have been noticed in 1885 Lynchburg, but long forgotten by the Pauline Innis's book and magazine articles gave the Beale Papers a second life.

It was called the Washington House because a man lived there and his first name was Washington. As I stated yesterday in another post, I found a court document that says Robert Morriss was deeded a Tavern in August, 1818. I looked over the recorded deeds of Campbell County-------no deed. I can make out the first three letters of the name of the Tavern, but the third letter could easily be an "r" instead of an "s" so it could be Ward's Tavern instead of Washington Tavern. There is enough space for the word Washington and there is indications of a letter "g" at the right position and the letter "t" at the right position. I have also found out that Ward's Tavern name was changed in 1813 when Seth Ward sold to a Johnston the name was changed to "Bell Tavern" which was two lots away from the Washington House. So if there was no Ward's Tavern in 1818 then this must be the Washington Tavern? I have enhanced the document every way possible there is just not enough to warrant saying it is the Washington but what other Tavern did Robert Morriss have anything to do with. I also have a Deed which is not itemized in the Deeds at the Campbell County Courthouse it took me several trips of 200 miles to find this document. It has Robert Morriss leasing a piece of real estate for a period of ten years. But this Deed does not say Washington Tavern or Washington House either.

The Washington House was used by early lots of land sold in the City of Lynchburg as a point of reference. It has been there since the 1790's according to other deeds.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Washington House was used by early lots of land sold in the City of Lynchburg as a point of reference. It has been there since the 1790's according to other deeds.

The point being, this Washington House/Tavern on 8th & Church did not become either of the Arlington Hotels that were on 9th & Main or 8th & Court.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point being, this Washington House/Tavern on 8th & Church did not become either of the Arlington Hotels that were on 9th & Main or 8th & Court.

Look at the 1877 Gray's Map of Lynchburg, Virginia and you will find the Arlington at 8th Street and Church Street. Directly across 8th Street on the other corner is where Robert Morriss' sister lived that married William Warwick, first Mayor of Lynchburg, Va.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.oldentimes.com/johnskyle60campva.html
Newspaper add for the Washington Hotel, John S Kyle ,Prop. /May 17, 1860.
The location 8th & Church Street.
Did this hotel, with that name exist in January 1820, or is this another purposeful discrepancy of plausibility?

I have two letters written from the Washington Hotel, one is in the 1830's the other 1840's. As far as it being called the Washington House it was called that in the 1790's, then it was only a two story house about 28 feet wide and about 38 feet long with a chimney on each end.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...but the Washington Hotel on 8th & Church did not become the 1885 "now known as the Arlington, on Church" as written in the Beale Papers, unless of course, the name "Arlington Hotel" moved to three different street locations in Lynchburg-8th & Church, 8th & Court, 9th & Main.

Which location in 1885 was the location of the Arlington Hotel?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the 1877 Gray's Map of Lynchburg, Virginia and you will find the Arlington at 8th Street and Church Street...
During the "2nd year of the Confederate War" several of Lynchburg's hotels served as hospitals.
At the bottom of this linked page, is a map that shows the hotels used for that purpose- The Washington Hotel is shown on Church & 8th.

Old City Cemetery | Confederate Hospitals in Lynchburg

Take note of Saunders, Warwick Hotel, and Norvell House locations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"...he(Morriss) erected the first brick building of which the town could boast, and which sill stands on Main Street"
-The Beale Papers

Up until the 1820's , Lynchburg businesses and homes were wood frame construction, Thomas Jefferson even made a negative comment on this.
The first mention of brick on a Lynchburg business was the Kentucky Hotel on 900 5th Street, built of wood frame around 1801, but a five bay brick façade was added around 1814.
The claimed first brick building in Lynchburg, was Nichols Tavern in 1815,at 600 5th Street, which replaced the first wood frame building that burned down in a fire.
The question is:
Was Robert Morris involved with either of the buildings?

"His (Morriss)private residence, the house owned and occupied by Max Guggenheimer, ESQ, at the head of Main Street, I think he also built"- The Beale Papers
Notice he "I think".
The question is:
Did Robert Morris actually build this house "at the head of Main Street", or is this another example of creating a plausibly believability or a purposeful discrepancy?

Does any outside documentation exist that will collaborate those statements in the Beale narrative story?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but the Washington Hotel on 8th & Church did not become the 1885 "now known as the Arlington, on Church" as written in the Beale Papers, unless of course, the name "Arlington Hotel" moved to three different street locations in Lynchburg-8th & Church, 8th & Court, 9th & Main.

Which location in 1885 was the location of the Arlington Hotel?

First let me say, you ask too many questions without acknowledging the questions I have already answered for you. The Washington House, Washington Inn, Washington Tavern were all at 8th and Church Street. The others I can not say except one of the listed you gave is the Virginia House where the Job Print Pamphlet was printed. They modernized it and called it the Arlington. So I say the other locations you mentioned are either non-existent or were named later after 1885?

The link you gave for a Civil War is a poor example of a map. The buildings are too big and most are not even on the map. As for the Saunders, it is a different Saunders than Anzoletta's Husband, David Jr. That house belonged to W.L. Saunders.

As for the Warwick Hotel it was ran by one of the sons of William Warwick not William Warwick himself. The locations I gave you are the correct locations. I have the location of David Saunders Jr.'s home in Lynchburg, which they had to sell and move into the country.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason I posted that map was to show that the Washington Hotel on 8th & Church was utilized as a hospital during the "2nd year of the Confederate War", which by the way acknowledged your answer, and showed other hotels also used for that purpose.
Is there an actual date when the Washington Hotel on 8th & Church became the Arlington Hotel as mentioned in the Beale story narrative?

Now back to the two buildings accredited to being built by Morriss in the Beale narrative story:
If he built the first brick building in Lynchburg "of which the town could boast, and still stands(1885) on Main Street", what was that building?
Did Morriss build his own "private residence now owned and occupied by Max Guggenheimer, ESQ, at the head of Main"?
...and, does an actual document or mention outside of the Beale Papers exists that verifies when and if these building were indeed built by Robert Morris ?

What is needed are 1820 Lynchburg map from the Beale story and 1885 Lynchburg maps when the Beale Papers was placed on sale for comparison.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! The FIRST Brick building/Hotel was built by Sam Harrison (in 1816, I think). AND! Robert MORRIS (ex-mayor of L'burg … the 3rd Mayor, later managed it. AND! I think that Sam Harrison was FIRST Mayor of L'burg, Va.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
HA! The FIRST Brick building/Hotel was built by Sam Harrison (in 1816, I think). AND! Robert MORRIS (ex-mayor of L'burg … the 3rd Mayor, later managed it. AND! I think that Sam Harrison was FIRST Mayor of L'burg, Va.
...William Warwick, first Mayor of Lynchburg, Va
Lynchburg was incorporated as a town, January 10, 1805, and the first Mayor of Lynchburg was:
John Wiatt- 1806
Roderick Taliaferro- 1807
Samuel J Harrison-1808, 1814,1817
John Lynch Jr-1809
M Lambert-1810
John Schoolfield-1811
James Stewart-1812,1815,1819
Robert Morris-1813
John H Gordon-1816
William Morga-1818
John Turman-1820
Micajah Davis-1821
John Hancock-1822
Thomas Holcombe-1823
Robert Morris was the 8th Mayor of Lynchburg, Samuel J Harrison was the 3rd, and John Wiatt the 1st.
William Warwick was never a Mayor of Lynchburg, but John M Warwick-1833 and Daniel J Warwick-1847, were.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynchburg was incorporated as a town, January 10, 1805, and the first Mayor of Lynchburg was:
John Wiatt- 1806
Roderick Taliaferro- 1807
Samuel J Harrison-1808, 1814,1817
John Lynch Jr-1809
M Lambert-1810
John Schoolfield-1811
James Stewart-1812,1815,1819
Robert Morris-1813
John H Gordon-1816
William Morga-1818
John Turman-1820
Micajah Davis-1821
John Hancock-1822
Thomas Holcombe-1823
Robert Morris was the 8th Mayor of Lynchburg, Samuel J Harrison was the 3rd, and John Wiatt the 1st.
William Warwick was never a Mayor of Lynchburg, but John M Warwick-1833 and Daniel J Warwick-1847, were.

I guess that means William Warwick was not the first Mayor of Lynchburg? How about this from Lynchburg and It's People?

First Mayor of Lynchburg William Warwick 1805.jpg

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
LYNCHBURG AND ITS PEOPLE by William Asbury Christian was published in 1900 and he admitted that he got a lot of his information from the 1858 SKETCHES AND RECOLLECTIONS OF LYNCHBURG by Margaret Cable, which contained inaccuracies.
Neither are considered as accurate works of the history of Lynchburg, but a compiled collection of anecdotes.
Christian stated in his introduction:
"The work could have been done better, but with the responsibility of a large church, I have done what I could"-an admission to possible inaccuracies found in his work.

Christian states on your presented page that the May6, 1805 meeting was an "act of incorporating the town of Lynchburg", but Lynchburg was incorporated January 10, 1805, if anything, William Warwick acted as chairman at this meeting, for elections for mayor had yet to be held.

The list I presented came from an official City of Lynchburg site.
It is interesting to note in addition to Warwick, the names Wiatt, Taliaferro, Harrison, and Lambert mentioned on the page posted from Christian's book, all who were elected Mayor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
HA! The FIRST Brick building/Hotel was built by Sam Harrison (in 1816, I think)...
The Beale Papers state that Robert Morriss built the first brick building in Lynchburg- other sources state it was Samuel L Harrison.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beale Papers state that Robert Morriss built the first brick building in Lynchburg- other sources state it was Samuel L Harrison.

It was neither.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was neither.

Let me first explain. When you say that it was the first brick house built in Lynchburg, Virginia, you have to go back to the time that it was stated as being the first brick house in Lynchburg, Virginia. Lynchburg and it's city limits have changed over the years. You take the Hutter House. It is now within the City Limits of Lynchburg but when was it annexed. The Hutter House was built of brick by Charles Johnston in 1808. Then there is the John Lynch home which was constructed of brick before 1800 is it within the old City Limits? A lot of questions. Then there is the Old Quaker Meeting House made of stone construction started in 1792 and finished in 1798. Is it considered stone or brick I guess stone and not brick. So many things to consider and really what difference does it make?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... So many things to consider and really what difference does it make?
The difference it makes is that this statement in the Beale Papers referring to Robert Morriss:
"He erected the first brick building of which the town could boast, and which still stands on Main Street"
NOT TRUE.
...and the pamphlet purchasers of 1885 Lynchburg would recognize this as another purposely placed "error" by the "unknown author" that the Beale Papers may appear credible due to a sprinkling of alluded plausible "facts", it is after all, a fictional adventure treasure dime novel with play along parlor entertainment ciphers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread