WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
A natural creek or a farm ditch? I know where I'm at in Indiana and a huge chunk of Ohio, it used to be part of what they called the Great Black Swamp. Then, in starting around the 1850s they started digging these massive ditches across the landscape to drain the land for agricultural use. I've been thinking about getting a pair of waders and wandering around in a local one myself.

This part of the creek was routed by drainage tile from the farm. There is a foundation on the hill above. I'm thinking either they tossed the trash down the hill or when the house or whatever it was fell, all the stuff washed down to the creek. Maybe it is even both. I'm 3 hours south of the black swamp.

I just went up to the black swamp this weekend. I try to imagine what it used to be like.

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This part of the creek was routed by drainage tile from the farm. There is a foundation on the hill above. I'm thinking either they tossed the trash down the hill or when the house or whatever it was fell, all the stuff washed down to the creek. Maybe it is even both. I'm 3 hours south of the black swamp.

I just went up to the black swamp this weekend. I try to imagine what it used to be like.

I see. I did hear there were some restoration projects happening here and there, but yeah, the closest I can come to envisioning it is just taking a walk in the woods around here, where the ground gets really mucky at times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread