Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain. Trouble is, either they don't come in as fast as we'd like, or the banks ship 'em out as soon as they get 'em. AMC

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Those results are hardly unusual for where I am. Maybe you are just spoiled! =)

I did my first CRHing in months today... went to a handful of banks with an old CRH buddy of mine looking for halves. One banks had $2.00 in clad, and another had some of the mysterious brinks rolls that we used to find months ago when bank hopping in the area. We are convinced someone metal detects the rolls or something and then brings the non silver rolls back to the bank without ever opening them. He hits multiple banks in the area and after talking to the tellers, he brings back the rolls in the original brinks box and it normally contains $450 or so in rolls. We have see his dumps range from a box of $480 down to about $100 after other hunters have bought some of his dumps.

At least he makes it easy on us... we know when they are dumps and don't get stuck buying them thinking they are good.

~Dave

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
We are convinced someone metal detects the rolls or something
I do not think any machine out there can detect a silver coin in a roll of clad. It would have to edge search to get closest to the silver. There is a sunray coil that might be able to do that.

XL-1_MOUNTED_ON_IDX-PRO_CLO.jpg

It runs through the MD circuitry and acts like a big coil but has a very narrow search band.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
yeah Scavenger it seems like none or a ton sometimes searching for handrolls ... depends on the area ... lucky to get a few rolls here I did get 480.00 with 7 keepers last week .. but the week before went to a larger town and every bank had 500.00 plus ...the banks I called had 3600.00 plus I bought about 1800 and they were all dumps sitting in Brinks boxes most of them with one end ripped open....

Keep the faith and adverture around to other banks when u can ... cuz one thing about handrolls when u hit them some of them will pay off big time, happy holidays , Ed

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, around me my banks never have 1/2's.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
About the fact that I think someone does it? Nope... I'm serious.

Best way to describe my situation that I have come up with so far.

~Dave

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys.........why not rig that detector so you pull in the bank parking lot , activate the detector on the bank and tell if the got any silver inside.

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
terryin pa said:
Hey guys.........why not rig that detector so you pull in the bank parking lot , activate the detector on the bank and tell if the got any silver inside.

better yet see if they'll let you in the vault and you can search the boxes so you only buy ones with definate silver :D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terryin pa said:
Piece of cake, here is a pic of me, in my younger days, in a bank parking lot. Who need a metal detector when any old branch will do. Problem is I can never find where to plug in the headphones. :wink:
geuu_02_img0335.jpg

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
I have heard from a dealer I deal with that he used to CRH in the 60's to early 80's looking for silver. he figured out the weights of the rolls. After he mastered his trait he never opened a roll to search just weighed them. He tested his theory for months and figured he was about 95% accurate. Maybe someone else has mastered it. I wouldn't trust it, but I also like the thrill of the search.

Good Luck,
Jason

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I suppose weighing them would be another way around my mystery hunter. It would take a nice electronic scale to make it viable and not time consuming in my opinion, and those aren't cheap. I mean... weighing each roll individually isn't the fastest process in the world... once you go through enough boxes, ripping through a roll, rim searching, and then dumping it back in the box only takes a few seconds.

Plus... although the 90% halves are substantially heavier than the clad, the 40% are EXTREMELY close in weight in comparison. Add in possible short rolls, roughed up/shaved coins, etc. and it makes it that much less accurate.

To all you MD'ers out there: any of you want to try your detectors out on some rolls of halves and see what happens? It makes sense that waving it over the whole roll would mean that it wouldn't detect EACH half seperately, so would it treat the whole roll as a single chunk of metal? Wouldn't having a silver or some silver in that chunk change its reading or display number, etc.?

The other thing that this guy at my banks could be doing is running electricty through the rolls, since the brinks rolls are open at both ends. Changes in conductivity could alert you to the presence of silver.

Who knows... this guy has just bugged me and others for so long that we have spent a bunch of time thinking about it while CRH'ing together. Still waiting for the day one of us get lucky enough to catch him dumping at a bank! =)

~Dave

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
BBcardsRI I have tried it, and MD doesn't work. I use my detector to tell the difference between 1982 copper and 1982 zinc pennies. Other than that I don't see much use in it for CRH.
Jason

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shake-N-Bake said:
I have heard from a dealer I deal with that he used to CRH in the 60's to early 80's looking for silver. he figured out the weights of the rolls. After he mastered his trait he never opened a roll to search just weighed them. He tested his theory for months and figured he was about 95% accurate. Maybe someone else has mastered it. I wouldn't trust it, but I also like the thrill of the search.

Good Luck,
Jason

you could do that if you only look for silver...if you also pick out proofs, NIFC, etc....it doesn't work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread