Jefferson National Forest

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Papa
Is that a national forest or a state forest? National forest are protected by the US Park service and they will cart you off for trespassing. State forest I have had mixed results I always find the local forest ranger and get the person in charge to give me a one day pass to search an area in the forest. Normally all i find is shot gun shells and modern bullets. Always worth a try but it has never panned out as worth the time or effort. The thing of it is to keep trying new areas and seeing what turns up. Just remember to get something in writing so you don't end up in jail. US Parks you will go to jail, there is no question about that.
Know where you are and make sure you contact the local authority and get your approval in writing.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Dave, It's a national forest.Somewhere along the line I read or was told that Jefferson National Forest,was open to MD. I've beat my head against the wall trying to remember,who,or where. ??? All the ranger stations around here have been shut down,but one,and can never get anyone on the phone. Been to some of their web sites,but can't find anything on what I want. ??? I won't go,unless it's legal.Now that the cold and nasty weather is starting to settle in,I'll try to do more research,and see what I can find.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ranger stations are closed then there wouldnt be anyone there to stop you.... But then again, I wouldn't want to get caught in a national park with a metal detector in my hand.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live pretty close to Jefferson National Forrest, it's not a National Park, it's forrest. I've hunted for deer and smaller game in Jefferson Forrest, never had a problem.

Papa, if it were ME, I would go detecting...like you mentioned, all the ranger stations are closed. If by some slim chance you're stopped (which I don't think you would), I would explain that it's a national forrest, not a national park, you didn't know, and you'll be happy to leave.

I can't see a problem. I hunted alongside US 23 leaving Big Stone, along the four lane going into Tenn, all that area is Jefferson National Forrest. Numerous Caves can be seen from your car while driving down the road (US 23) from Big Stone Gap VA, to Kingsport, TN. My relatives have been inside nearly every one of those caves along 23, I think the one that looks like a small slit in the rocks opens up like an airplane hangar once you squeeze into it about 30 feet (according to my cousin).

Anyways Papa, open up this link and scroll down to Metal Detecting in the National Forest, it states very clearly that it is ok.
Hope this link helps: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/general_info/index.shtml

Well, that's my .02 :D

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Maybe I can get this in before the power goes out,again ??? Thanks for all the info. It is a National Forest,not a park. And from what I can see and read it's OK to MD there. By the time I'm able to get back there I Should know for sure. The place I want to go is about halfway up the mountain. Last time I was there,I found quite a few keepers. But now is not the time to go,maybe after all the hunting seasons are over and things calm down ???
Not to mention a few hunters that shoot at anything that moves. Just one more place to put on my "TO GO" list. Thanks All, ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions