JESUIT TREASURES - ARE THEY REAL?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Beth,

"I didn't get mine from Dr. Glover's book, sorry."

No need to be sorry, but I don't believe I said you did. It may be that you have a copy of the picture before it was folded. That would be very nice. :icon_thumright: If you care to share it with me, I would love to see it. You have my email address.

My Christmas was very quiet this year, as we stayed home. Had mom and nephew over for dinner and gift exchange. Its been very nice. Hope your's was as well.

Take care,

Joe

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I can find someone (qualified) to take the stuff off my old computer, I have a copy on there - and I will, indeed, send it to you. (I also have a copy in my library stuff, but only God and greyhound knows how long before we can get access to THOSE things, they are in the very front of the big truck (I miss the library every day).

Goodness, it is hard around here to find a computer nerd savvy enough to get my stuff off my old computer. I've made at least 5 phone calls to different people, and the very best I could find said "if you take the hard drive out and bring it down, I can see what I can do" - not the most
confident I've ever heard - I should have known better than NOT make a back-up disk. (I do now). I may have to send the hard drive to Colorado. If I wanted a "maybe I can", I would do it myself. I want to make absolutely sure that I get my files, though. I spent hours scanning stuff from years of stuff. eeerrrrgg!

B

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Cactusjumper wrote
After all, it concerns Jesuit treasure, so there's no telling where the trail might lead. By their very nature, a good Jesuit treasure story must blend truth with fiction. The trick in finding the treasure is separating the two.

Well I respectfully disagree as to what constitutes a good Jesuit treasure story, but with many legends folks have added on fiction to a factual original, most extreme case in point being the Lost Dutchman IMHO.

I am not sure those Peralta stones can be classed as "Jesuit". As you have graciously posted that story, I won't push that particular matter, however now the question is, "truth or fiction"?
Happy Holidays to you and everyone, :thumbsup:
Roy ~ Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

[......however now the question is, "truth or fiction"?]

It's the worst kind of puzzle. A blend of both. ::) That's not really the question.....is it? The real question is: Do you want to hear/read more?

If the answer is yes, there is more.

Those of little faith have grown quiet. :dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
cactusjumper said:
Roy,

It's the worst kind of puzzle. A blend of both. ::) That's not really the question.....is it? The real question is: Do you want to hear/read more?

Take care,

Joe
Our amigos may be "quiet" for several reasons, such as the holiday weekend, or they are waiting to read as the saying goes, "the rest of the story".

Only a severe case of the "fever" would be here on a treasure-hunting forum during the Christmas holiday anyway right? ;D
Roy

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

Carolyn and I, along with our pups, are just hanging out this weekend. Very relaxing. :read2: :read2:

I check the computer once in a while, just to see what's shaking. Clear and cold here tonight. Feels like it must be 50 or there abouts. We have the fireplace going, so it's been very cozy.

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Gosh you really know how to "rub it in" don't you amigo? <grin ;D> I suppose I could make up a lie that we are lazing around here in robes enjoying things, but you probably have the Weather Channel so are aware of our latest "blow" that just won't let go. The temps have gone up by a factor x10 to nearly 20 F in the last few hours, so I suspect it is getting ready to blow itself out. The snows drifted up against the side of our little "abode" quite deep and had to go dig it out (naturally during the very coldest, 70mph winds is when the propane tank needed to be switched) and I did do a little training with the pups the last few days, but my danged fingers go numb in a half hour or less which is aggravating. Getting worried about my boss though as I know things are usually worse at the ranch and the phones here have been out for four days. No worries though, all we have to do is call the phone company to tell them. <har har> Can't go there to check on them, the danged roads are all closed. :-\ May need that dogsled sooner than I thought.

Sheesh and to think I was always leery of spending a winter in Alaska, can't see that much difference anymore! ::)
How is Smoky doing?
Roy

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

As you can see, my mom has prepared my Nephew Mark for our cold weather:

MarkIsReady.jpg

Smokey is ready to pounce if he cuts open that smoked sausage......

She also made sure I wouldn's catch a chill:

MomFearsIWillGetCold.jpg

As you can see, Suzy is also set for a cold night:

IsThatASnack.jpg

I thought I heard someone say S N A C K.....

YouTalkenToMe.jpg

You Talken To Me???

Smokey is doing mighty fine......Thanks for asking.

Take care,

Joe

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco said:
cactusjumper said:
Roy,

Take care,

Joe
Our amigos may be "quiet" for several reasons, such as the holiday weekend, or they are waiting to read as the saying goes, "the rest of the story".

Only a severe case of the "fever" would be here on a treasure-hunting forum during the Christmas holiday anyway right? ;D
Roy

Guess I got the "fever" Roy, You and Beth and Joe, and who all else. Keep on
with the " the rest of the story " This old Virginia guy has got his coffee pot going.
And his old dog "Bandit" is sleeping here at his feet.

Clayton

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50's -----hummmppphhhh!

It's been getting warmer and warmer, here - of course, its only because the snow is drifting and is offering alot of extra insulation - of course,
we cannot see out the windows................................................ :laughing7: :laughing7:

B

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Clayton - I think that is the first photo I have ever seen of Bandit - I bet he is a good treasure-hunting bud, and I have a feeling that Joe's amigo Smoky is going to turn out that way too!

Maybe we humans have a common interest in digging up treasures, something our canine friends can really identify with? <sure wish I had a scanner, have a pic of old Deamon dog helping me inside a mine which would have gone very well here.>

Also - DITTO to Clayton's words, please do continue Joe, we are all hoping to hear that 'rest-o-the-story' as Paul Harvey used to say.
:icon_thumleft:

Roy

PS No disregard intended for those of us who have feline partners instead of canine, they also dig up things but make deposits instead of withdrawals. :o ::) ;D

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Guys have no idea what it's like to be REALLY cold..... Why out here in southern California it's it's nearly 49 degrees.... And on top of that it's going to be in the SIXTY'S tomorrow !!!!! THE SIXTY'S !!!!!!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL !!!!!!!

PLL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Pegleglooker - I always suspected you had a little mean streak! :tongue3: :laughing9: :laughing7: Hmm, since you are already so inured to such severe cold as you have, how would you feel about taking a little "prospecting" trip with me, next month? A really warm climate where we would go - Eldorado creek, and for 'bait' I can tell you that the fellows who were there some years ago were getting over 40 ounces of gold to the pan. Shall I count you in? ;D
Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy and those who have faith,

It was in the early eighties. We had pulled our tent trailer out into the desert close to Tucson to do some camping/research. We were staying for a week. As usual, I had set up a......comfortable camp. We cooked dinner and were getting droopy eyed sitting close to the fire. The lights of three rigs appeared on the dirt track below our camp, pulled up and stopped. A pleasant looking woman got out and asked if we minded if they camped a few hundred feet away. It was there favorite campsite. Carolyn said we would be glad for the company.

As it turned out, they were staying for a few weeks. Naturally, we ended up sharing our campfire and got to know them pretty well. They were historians and authors and were doing some field research related to Franciscan missions. The lady, Diane, was happy for some female company and she and Carolyn, pretty much, ruled the camp.

One of the men had a dog, and Juno quickly made friends.....unusual for my dog to be friendly with other dogs. It turned out that I had more in common with this fellow than our dogs. He knew quite a bit about the Superstitions and had spent some time in the mountains. As the week progressed, our talks around the fire grew more specific. We would always be exchanging stories long after everyone else had turned in.

He was the one who gave me the history I have related here, and he would know. He had looked for the treasure without luck, even though he had a map. He wouldn't let me see it and in fact made me promise to never mention his name attached to the history or treasure. I am pretty sure that he had a copy of the Stone Maps. Years later, I found out he had been searching on the east side of Bluff Spring Mountain, well trodden ground for Stone Map aficionados.

Since that time, circumstances have proved that the old gentleman had his history and facts straight, but he never started his search from the right place. If he had, I would not be telling this story. To be honest, he was the one who deserves to be telling it.

Now remember, this is just a story and there is little left to tell. I don't know what anyone would be able to do with that cross, even if they could find it, but we left it there for a reason. It is buried in camposanto vecchio, according to our Yaqui friend and partner, Juan Compoy. He told us that when his father first saw the exposed "empty cross", he crossed himself, muttered a quick prayer, took him and rode out of the mountains. His father would never return.

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Thank you Joe for sharing, excellent story! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: <two thumbs up> I do hope you will consider writing a book, there are many of us who would be happy - and think of those whom will follow us after we are gone. Just a suggestion, I know shut up Roy if I wanted to publish a book I don't need "suggestions" :-\ - anyway thank you! Got to sign off,
Roy

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco said:
Pegleglooker - I always suspected you had a little mean streak! :tongue3: :laughing9: :laughing7: Hmm, since you are already so inured to such severe cold as you have, how would you feel about taking a little "prospecting" trip with me, next month? A really warm climate where we would go - Eldorado creek, and for 'bait' I can tell you that the fellows who were there some years ago were getting over 40 ounces of gold to the pan. Shall I count you in? ;D
Oroblanco

Hey Oro, I know this wasn't addressed to me, but should the situation ever come up where you wouldn't mind a total novice tagging along with you on a prospecting trip, I'd love the opportunity. I've never gold panned in my life, but would absolutely love a chance to learn how to do it from someone with the background you have!

I'm not much of a cook and I don't drink coffee, but I won't scoff at a good day of hard work and I can carry alot if needed :)

Seriously, life is too short and I'd look forward to a chance to not only meet you and Beth, but also learn a little about looking for and finding gold.
Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread