Metal Detecting

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're gonna have a hard time finding that one. Keep an eye on Ebay, you might get lucky and one will pop up. If you are just looking for basic instructions to operate the machine, here's something I found on another forum:

"No manual is needed. Turn it on, and adjust the vernier knob until you get a null in the audio, should be close to the midpoint. Then adjust slowly (either direction) until you get a low slow growl in the audio. Now bring metal targets close to the coil and see what happens.
If you adjust the vernier off null in one direction (lower I believe) then iron (nails, etc.) will cause an increase in the audio pitch and non-iron (coins) will cause it to null. If you adjust the vernier off null in the other direction then the opposite happens."

The vernier knob is the large tuning knob. I recommend setting it so that coins give an increase in pitch and iron objects decrease it; it just works better that way. Also, rather than running it at a "low slow growl" as some people used to do, try adjusting it until you get a low to medium hum. The slight pitch increase that you will hear when detecting deeper targets will make it easier to determine that something is there.

There's some good tips on hunting with BFO's in the 1973 Garrett Catalog which you can find here: Garrett

OP
OP
C

cheapomd

Apr 2, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 9 function
Jetco Treasure Hawk (BFO)
BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank You! Yea its pretty much useless except for surface finds. That is how I have been adjusting it so far. Its so limited that i thought that the maual might provide some insight. I believe its just the nature of the beast. It apears to have about an 1-2 inches depth, what many past an present owners are reporting, however there where some great claimes made the jetco co that these detectors could find a penny at 5-6 inches that were proven false by another early metal detector co.
Thanks Again,
Al

countrymikes

Jan 17, 2013
Warsaw Indiana
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hawk By Jetco
Micronta 3001
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Treasure Hawk i bought in 1966 and stll use it today. $T2eC16ZHJG!E9nm3q-v2BQ8cU4I,gg~~60_3.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread