jetco treasure hawk

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, no help here, never heard of one. Maybe some of the other guys here can help?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think, Last I heard of JETCO, was in the 60's, sorry. If I'm right. its a BFO. all metal

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yes Jeff is correct. Only guys here older than 45 will know this BFO model. I believe it is an early 1970's model. Jetco never made a top of the line unit(if there are any such designations for BFOs) such as produced by Whites. Jetco quickly disappeared with the development of TR detectors- then came VLFs. Poor sensitivity with no discrimination are the hallmarks of BFOs.
George

J

Jim Cal

I think you'd be severly handicapping the boys with a detector that primitive. I had one in the 60's and I remember it drifted and had to constantly be retuned. Jim Cal

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got back into MDing last fall, I didn't have the cash at the time to get the detector I really wanted. So I picked up a BH Pioneer 101 used on eBay for about $40.00, and it worked out great. My daughter is ready to upgrade from the $29 Radio Shack special to the Pioneer 101, and my new ACE250 arrived 2 weeks ago, so I'm ready to let her use it! I think your boys would have much better results with a starter detector like that, a cheap BH or Radio Shack Discovery, which is BH anyway. Maybe you can bury the Jetco and see if they can find it with a BH, lol! Good luck to you and the boys!!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Mike , Get your kids a nail apron. Put generic flour in one side. Let them wander like kids will and dig (correctly) until they get tired of digging. At that point have them drop some flour on every signal they find but do not dig it. You then come by with your discriminator and tell them which targets to dig. That technique also works when only one member of the group has target id. You can search twice the area with them helping. exanimo, ss

M

mark435

Hello Mike,
I purchased the Jetco Treasure Hawk back in 1975 for about $90.00 new. I loved it and still do. It is an ideal metal detector for any age. I still use it today. Some pointers would be to use the headphones. Don't use the ones with the foam earpieces. Get some old style full ear cushioned ones. I think you can find them at yard sales for about a buck or two. The tone will drift on occasion but that is what the vernier control is for. Don't go full sensitivity also. Use fresh batteries. The only thing I didn't like about the unit was the solid inductive pick-up. I replaced it with one from a "Bounty Hunter"
metal detector. It was water proof and much more sensitive. I also found that the RCA type plug on the underside of the control box that the pick-up coil plugs into gets touchy so I removed it and hard-wired it directly to the PC board. Although when I got the pick-up from the Bounty Hunter, I had to put a BNC type of a connector on the control box because this is the type of plug that the pick-up used. If you have any question about it let me know.

cheapomd

Apr 2, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 9 function
Jetco Treasure Hawk (BFO)
BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jetco Treasure Hawk

Hello Mike,
The only thing I didn't like about the unit was the solid inductive pick-up. I replaced it with one from a "Bounty Hunter"
metal detector. It was water proof and much more sensitive. I also found that the RCA type plug on the underside of the control box that the pick-up coil plugs into gets touchy so I removed it and hard-wired it directly to the PC board. Although when I got the pick-up from the Bounty Hunter, I had to put a BNC type of a connector on the control box because this is the type of plug that the pick-up used. If you have any question about it let me know.

I know this is an old message, but figured id give it a shot. I was wondering what bounty hunter coil you used. Also looking for a manuel.
Thanks,
Al

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jetco.......that brings back memories! I had a Jetco Huntmaster back in the early 70's. I believe there were four models. They all got about the same depth, so they were priced according to how many knobs the machine had........a bit like detectors nowadays. :wink: If I remember right.........the entry level machine, the mustang, had one knob. The Searchmaster had two knobs. The Huntmaster had two knobs....and a METER! The company's flagship machine, the Treasure Hawk (for serious detectorists only), had three knobs, a meter, and a button. Max in-ground depth on a coin was about 3". It did not discriminate.....drifted, especially in cold weather......couldn't handle bad ground.......loved it to death.

cheapomd

Apr 2, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 9 function
Jetco Treasure Hawk (BFO)
BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm gonna mess around with it a bit. I've played with the settings and have gotten a slight varience in tone/beats at 3nches, but you really have to listen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread