By all means be a hero and dig in junky and trash filled turf to find jewelry.
I have for years and never regretted one second doing it, I don't dig all signals but only about 20% of the signals I come across that are more solid and I have found tons of silver and plenty of gold.
I don't have beaches near me and if I waited to get to one I would never go hunting so I just figured out ways to find jewelry in trashy parks and other sites and have done way better than just well.
Plenty of jewelry around those basketball and volleyball courts, sometimes, these are one type of site I actually might take my time and dig more trash because masking is such a problem and these are some of the the highest percentage sites for us jewelry hunters to search, but I don't kill myself, visit these many times before I consider them finished and like tot lots they tend to reload over time.
About a dozen gold targets and plenty of silver from around these things in my collection now...it was fun and productive to hunt them and I look for them in every park I visit.
Don't think that the courts only in the affluent sections of town hold great gold and silver jewelry either...this might sound logical but in reality it is not and this has been proven over and over by way more jewelry hunters than just myself.
People that don't have a lot of money sometimes make bad decisions about where they spend the money they have and good jewelry is an important status thing for all kinds of people all over the world.
I have found way more silver and especially gold jewelry in lower end more depressed areas of town around basketball courts than I ever have in the more affluent areas by far...and I have hunted plenty of both kinds.
Areas around picnic pavilions are also very trashy but again my silver and gold totals have been amazing at these sites.
Tons of tabs, can slaw, pop tops and other junk, I don't dig everything around these but do a lot more cherry picking on the more solid signals, sniper coils really help in trash filled sites like this to make things easier, the silver and gold I have found here made it more than worth it to wade into these things with a positive attitude.
My second favorite high percentage site to find jewelry is grassy areas near parking lots but especially in parking lots that have grass, pebble or chip filled islands dividing up the place.
Anywhere you find these can be good but I have found the ones in school parking lots, high schools, Jr. and regular colleges are especially target rich.
People walking over these things pull keys out of their pockets and lose jewelry, at schools students hang out on these things before, during and after school and lose a ton of jewelry for some reason.
I have found a couple dozen silver targets, rings, chains and pendants and yes even some gold rings hiding in these things among other targets like clad, tools and more.
Most don't think to hunt these things and it was just a lucky break when I discovered just how much these things might hold but once I did I target them wherever I find them and I have never been disappointed.
This hobby rewards out of the box thinking and at first for me this was exactly that but now these are one of my favorite sites to hunt…I call it beach hunting on land because of the surprising volume of jewelry I have found in them.
There can be jewelry around tennis courts but people are pigs and there are also tons of pop tops off of tennis ball cans around these things.
Not my favorite places to hunt but if you can determine how those high tone tops sound and behave you can avoid them efficiently for the most part and still find silver jewelry if it is there and there could be because lots of players take off their jewelry before they play...gold rings will come in lower of course so easy to find compared to silver if you can learn to pick them out from the tab, nickel and foil signals you might find.
So far all my gold has come in way more solid and way less jumpy than 80% of that kind of trash so I target those kind of signals and have found the good stuff without digging it all even around these courts.
Sidelines of soccer fields are great and I talk more about this below but football fields have been good to me too in the silver and gold areas especially in high schools and colleges if you allowed to hunt them in your town because this is not always the case.
If you are you might find younger students seem to have a problem holding onto their jewelry as I have.
A good site to hunt is soccer fields especially the sidelines.
There might be jewelry on the fields too, especially nearer to the goals, but I have been to parks where the people that take care of these don't like digging on the field during soccer season but the sidelines are open if you don't wreck the place.
I found a huge complex of these with several dozen full size fields when I lived in Kansas, the grounds keepers and head guy told me they kicked a guy out about a year ago because he was digging up the fields badly but I showed them how I only dig small holes and covered them up well and promised to stay off the fields and only on the sidelines so they said go for it.
In only about 7 visits before I moved away I found $70 in clad around the perimeters where people stand and sit to watch the games, about 1/2 dozen silver rings, some cool bracelets and other neat things.
This was digging just nickel, dime and quarter signals plus the more solid foil and lower zinc ones, there were so many zinc cent signals I just quit digging them because of time constraints but still dug the lower zinc signals because that is where large gold rings like class rings can come in.
No gold at this site but only because I just didn't have enough time to stick around and find it I am sure.
Some trash around sites like these but very manageable in my opinion.
Those trashy parks I love to hunt and spend most of my time...if people hang out,sit, picnic, throw balls or frisbees or just walk over areas you might find some jewelry and I have done just that and both silver and gold and sometimes found in the most out of the way places which might be considered lucky but I will embrace all luck I come across at any time.
I have had enough of those lucky finds to pay for several detectors I own.
I go into old parks looking for everything but especially old coins but in newer parks I have the mindset to find clad and hope a few jewelry items pop up which has happened for me way more times than to just be considered luck.
I believe this has to be more about learning to read sites and figure out where the most people hung out or traveled through to get to other parts of the parks.
Where the highest traffic patterns are the most junk will be but also the most good targets.
The better you get at this the more targets you will find that are good.
Don't let anyone ever tell you where you should or should not hunt.
Sure, the obvious places like beaches and in the water can be great and productive but there are plenty of places on land in the dirt that are too.
Looking at my collection of gold and silver jewelry proves it to me every time.