Jim Bowies "Cave Of Silver"

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Jim Bowie's "Cave Of Silver"

I learned about this legendary treasure when I was just 13... in 1975. It is one of the main reasons I created TreasureNet.

I believe it is a storeroom of treasure... silver and some gold stashed in a cave in 1639 by indians who revolted against oppressive Spaniards who forced them to work in silver mines in central Mexico.

I believe I found the entrance to the cave this past January... Unfortunately, I have been unable to gain access to the site from the landowner and am so frustrated, I am tempted to post the exact coordinates here at TreasureNet....

Would that be encouraging illegal activity?

lol.

Anyone have 5 mil I can borrow so I can buy the land? (just kidding - sort of - )

sigh.

cry.

Marc

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Jim Bowie's "Cave Of Silver"

Does the landowner know why you want access? I could sell all my rusty relics and donate the money for a share .... :)that would give you at least $13.05 towards the land ::)

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

lol.

I wrote to the owner a few weeks ago, without too many details, and haven't heard back. :(

It is hard to believe 30 years of work can boil down to a yes or no from a stranger!

sigh.

Marc

CoinMiner

Greenie
Jul 16, 2007
Rockport, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic IDX, Garrett ACE 250

Well, you might consider catching a flight and doing it in person. Or contact one of the members there where the owner lives and talk them into going.

Mitch

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

Marc,
Have you thought about leasing the property.
As far as I know an AMERCIAN cannot purchase land in Mexico but can lease it for 99 years.
Later
Peg Leg

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I can see why you wouldn't want to be too specific about why you want to gain access to the land. Sure you already thought of this but it may be part of a farm of sorts, and I don't think anyone there would be too anxious to let someone possibly tear up their farm. Maybe if you mentioned the prospect of lost valuables but don't hint as to where they would be located you could get somewhere. I would also mention that 30 years of research had led you there. EVERYONE has a dream of treasure falling into their lap. If you can strike that cord in the landowner's "inner-child" you should be a shoe in. Good luck man, I'd hate to hear you had to stand by.

P.S. just a thought, maybe you could offer him/her money? How much is it worth for you to find out if you're right? Don't forget to consider, whatever you offer if probably worth 10 fold down there depending on what the current exchange rate is.

Jeff

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005

Mr. Marc, one option, you could offer the landowner & his wife lifetime rights to their house. Also, include a few acres of property as well as enough bucks that will get their attention. If you need additional $, I probably could come up wit a few G's. Maybe you could sell shares to interested individuals. Thanks, RuffandTuff.

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE

I have some money, maybe rent the area your interested in is a good idea.
Creative ways of gaining access, hmm...
Say your staging a concert?
or
A class field trip, Im sure a few of us could be "students" =)
What kind of class? Well a natural history class?

Then stumble into the cave, make sure theres something there and figure out how to reason with the man after that. Then you could offer him a substantial return for access, and guarantee it.

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

Night opts!

No, not really, because that would go against my beliefs, but I have to admit, I would be tempted. :-[

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

want me to come ask for you? I seem to have a way with people, batting a thousand anyway on asking and getting permission.

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marc
I live in central/south Texas, and I know lots of people who know lots of people etc...
If I can be of assistance please let me know as I have wondered about this cave for years.
I know of the location of one of Bowie's "mines". Fairly public knowledge though...
I also still have the carved rock that I found that no one on the forum or anywhere else can explain.
Good Hunting

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marc, How did you gain permission to be on the property when you found the opening?
It is a lot easier for a landowner to say "no" to a letter than it is in person. You need to sell yourself first, then follow up with a proposition. Everyone has their price.....Steve

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Thanks for the offers... I am still unsure what to do about it - I am planning another visit soon.

Here is something nearby the site to whet your appetites... :)

That is a hearth in the middle... and Searcher - this site is NOT publicly known!

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marc
Interesting, I believe you have posted this pic before...Certainly not the mine that I know of though...
The mine I referred to is well known, it is just off the highway a bit, and I used to be able to see the tailings from it till the brush grew over it...

stevesno
funny... had to laugh... done the same kind of thing before myself...

Searcher

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Marc are the owners aware of your discovery ? I agree with an earlier post > try and lease the property ! Go see them in person :) Your handsome self will win them over ;D I want to invest in this project with you if you get the rights ;D

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

CarolinaDigs said:
Marc are the owners aware of your discovery ? I agree with an earlier post > try and lease the property ! Go see them in person :) Your handsome self will win them over ;D I want to invest in this project with you if you get the rights ;D

lol, well, someone would have to fly my butt out of the French Riviera first! sigh.

I am hoping to do something in October!!!

Contrary to what you recommended, I should scare them into submission with my ugly mug! lol (thanks tho :))

anyway, I am still terribly frustrated! I have no idea what I am doing in this beautiful place - away from my life's work / passion.... talk about ironies! :P

K

Kentucky Kache

Depending on how sure you are that something is there, and if you had time and money, you could rent a house in the area and aquaint yourself with the guy. Become fishing buds or some such. Get him interested in treasure and then tell him you know the whereabouts of something. Of course, you've already sent the guy a letter, so you would have to change your name. ;)

Or, you might talk him into selling you a certain spot of ground to build a new house.

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Frustrated > the French Riviera !! Mark ::) I think I would take the Riviera anyday, over an old musky, filled with silver and gold fortunes, beyond imagination, CAVE ;)

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT

If it is on farm land and might possibly involve crop damage, offer to pay for what the fair market share, and perhaps a 'premium' of what the grain grown there would have been worth. So that even if you did damage crops in the digging they still get their price for it. Also, have a pre written 'hold harmless' agreement to show them stating clearly that if you happen to injure / maim or kill yourself on their property, they are not liable for it. Explain it to them, and explain that you are a treasure hunter and wish to look around.

you don't have to get specific as to exactly what you are looking for... ie captain kidds lost treasure, but can say, following up on rumors etc etc...

Sometimes even offering to do additional work might get you access. I remember wanting to hunt a patch of land and told the landowner, heck, Ill even mow your lawn for you, and he was more than happy. oh really, you gots yourself a deal sonny!!

He was happy because he didn't have to mow the stuff, I was happy because with the grass at 3 inches instead of 2 feet, MD'ing would be a lot easier and yield much better goodies.

There is no blanket answer to this, you have to schmooze them a bit, but most of all be honest with them, be polite, and be sincere. People can pick up on that and if you 'seem like a nice feller' they are much more willing to let you play than if you come across as a smug a hole.

Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread