What's new

Jolly Green Giants salt shaker lid

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

any ideas. I kind of think that ropes went through the holes but not sure the purpose of this thing.

thanks for looking
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0090.webp
    IMG_0090.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0091.webp
    IMG_0091.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 504
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

Just a wild guess but I've seen gizmos like that used for macrame plant hangers with a rope through the center to hang it from and 3 outer ropes goiing down to form the triangle for the pot to attatch to.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

NHBandit said:
Just a wild guess but I've seen gizmos like that used for macrame plant hangers with a rope through the center to hang it from and 3 outer ropes goiing down to form the triangle for the pot to attatch to.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. maybe not for a plant hanger but to hold three pieces of rope tight .

although the oblongated outer holes would tend to make me believe the ropes then spread out, just like a plant hanger .
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

I don't know if it was used for this but it seems like you could use it to make a wind chime ;D

17714_1042_1_md.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

NHBandit said:
Just a wild guess but I've seen gizmos like that used for macrame plant hangers with a rope through the center to hang it from and 3 outer ropes goiing down to form the triangle for the pot to attatch to.

I agree also!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

It could be a vintage 'flower frog' to hold cut flowers in a vase. The modern ones are glass, but the older ones were metal. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

This looks like a serious hunk of metal. I doubt flowers would cause the kind of wear seen in those two holes. They have taken some abuse. I'm thinking a hub or attachment off some kind of farm equipment.


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

DCMatt said:
This looks like a serious hunk of metal. I doubt flowers would cause the kind of wear seen in those two holes. They have taken some abuse. I'm thinking a hub or attachment off some kind of farm equipment.


DCMatt

Good point Matt! :thumbsup: And that being the case, I don't think rope from a wind chime would work those holes either. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
My WAG

I agree with the thought of ropes being involved.

My thoughts are that this may have been an item used similar to a tent cap. The device is obviously built stout to withstand exertion on it, and it shows wear through the holes that would have taken the stress. I bet the center hole rode over a pole and the 3 outer holes were the stabilizing points. Just a wag though. Pretty cool find.
 
Upvote 0
Re: My WAG

Digger54 said:
I agree with the thought of ropes being involved.

My thoughts are that this may have been an item used similar to a tent cap. The device is obviously built stout to withstand exertion on it, and it shows wear through the holes that would have taken the stress. I bet the center hole rode over a pole and the 3 outer holes were the stabilizing points. Just a wag though. Pretty cool find.

Thats a good point about a pole possibly being in the center. There is some rusty discoloration like there may have been metal pole in the middle.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

Bob,
I can't be much help on this find but I will show you what I think of every time I see your find. :D But just can't find one with the holes in it like yours.(hand guard for a fencing foil or saber)
Take Care,
Pete :hello:
 

Attachments

  • 18089_620187_3_lg[1].webp
    18089_620187_3_lg[1].webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_9505[1].webp
    IMG_9505[1].webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 330
  • MF1xp[1].webp
    MF1xp[1].webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 0
Re: Jolly Green Giant's salt shaker lid

Just a couple more ideas. :D
Lighting wall mount/chandelier part :icon_scratch:
Door knob backing :icon_scratch:
Okay I'm Done ;D
:hello:
 

Attachments

  • x[1].webp
    x[1].webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom