What's new

July 25 2015 weekend pottery finds

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wasn't gonna post the pottery finds of this weekend since I didn't find any flint or quartz stuff but decided to go ahead anyway. One of the more modern shards I had never heard of the product it used to contain and now wish it wasn't broken since that would have been a cool bottle to have. And you never know what you're gonna rake out of the creek, found several large leather pieces of what was once a man's boot and a leather small ladies high heel with the heel gone lol lots of misc amber glass too of course but I like to find the glass because I know there's a good chance a NA pottery shard will be there too as was the case this weekend.

The first pic was right when I found those two shards and they were wet and have some creek stain on them. The other pics are some more I found today and the others dried out.
WP_20150725_003.webpWP_20150726_003.webpWP_20150726_004.webp
 
Upvote 0
Cool pottery, maybe it can tell you what tribe(s) your dealing with. Not sure how modern glass helps you find pottery, but if it works for you that's awesome! Nobody wants to step on that stuff anyway. HH
 
You continue to find nice pottery!
 
Cool pottery, maybe it can tell you what tribe(s) your dealing with. Not sure how modern glass helps you find pottery, but if it works for you that's awesome! Nobody wants to step on that stuff anyway. HH

This is my 3rd year of creek hunting and I've discovered that wherever glass shards get stuck so will pottery shards, just one of the many things I've learned about how a creek flows :cool:
 
Nice pottery finds the glass item is a paint thinner that was used back in the 50's and before.6003927012_15b906e078_m.webp
 
You know that Native pottery has to be coming out of a trash pit from somewhere.
Are they tempering it with limestone or shell? If you can find their trash pit no telling what you may find. I would scour the highest banks you have and look for flint and shell.
Pottery ="s community
 
Last edited:
You know that Native pottery has to be coming out of a trash pit from somewhere.
Are they tempering it with limestone or shell? If you can find their trash pit no telling what you may find. I would scour the highest banks you have and look for flint and shell.
Pottery ="s community

Tempered with quartz, soapstone and some kind of black shiny stone. Yep it's making me nuts trying to figure out where it comes from lol
 
Oh quartz.. Sometimes you can find the old shell piles. It would drive me crazy too. You know its there. Google earth tell you anything?
 
That's a good way to find them! Actually Peaches I just wanted to bump that guy in the star wars costume from the top. That tiring COA post is not only in the wrong forum - the TN ppl who should have moved it long ago are actually the same ppl prolonging it by replying. Annoying. I'm going back to lurking. There is no satisfaction sharing with 99% of these ppl. You were one of the 1% Peaches. Best of luck (& tons of pottery!) to you in the future. :}'
 
Last edited:
I'm glad you posted it Peaches, nice finds....and good info also.:icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom