diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got skunked today, more or less. Not much going on. I did find 4 sterling Duchin Creation sherbets for $2 and a set of 4 military guy fasteners and stakes for $3 that I can use as tent stakes in windy conditions. I mention that because the small tent stakes don't work too well down here in this sandy soil. So I spent $5 total today.

But this thread is actually about one guy today. One guy that made me mad because he didn't have any change.
It's not the fact that he didn't have any change so much as the way he acted about it.

He basically told me I'm supposed to bring correct change to yard sales. I laughed at him then and literally argued with the dude about who's supposed to give change when you are the seller of an item. Frigging jerk off.
I had 2 knives that totaled $10, I had a $20, he had nothing, not even a $1 bill. I said I guess you don't want this $10 then and proceeded to walk off. Him trying to tell me that I'm supposed to bring the correct change with me. Him saying there is a store at the corner, which there was, but that's beside the point.
I told him I wouldn't be back and walked away talking to myself out loud about the lack of common sense and stupid people nowadays. He probably thinks I'm crazy but at least I have enough sense to provide change for my customers at a yard sale. It was a bad day and that guy hit a nerve that's all. I wanted those knives too, lol. If he would have responded with, sorry I don't have any change or something to that effect I would have been fine. Anyway, how did your day go?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to lots of yard sales over the years and some people run out of change. My advice is, bring change and leave it in the car. Use his lack of change to your advantage. On more than one occasion i have offered less for an item and gotten it because the person didn't have change for a 20. I always say, i know its 15 bucks but all i have is a twenty or i have 12 in my car. they will come up with the 5 bucks or give it to you for 12 most of the time.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the guy was an idiot, I would have walked away and went to the store got a ten, a five and five ones and then went back and offered him seven bucks, then when he responded no, I would have said it’s gonna cost you for me too go to the store. But I agree with you he should of had adequate change.
My day was good I’ll post a thread later. Good luck!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was his very first customer actually, he was out putting up signs when I got there and his teenage son was sitting there. He pulled up less than a minute later. Dad acted like I was the dimwit for not having change. That's why I copped an attitude with him. At that point it was a matter of principle. I had already been to two other sales and spent 5 of the ones I had with me. I had 3 ones and some twenties left. His son just sat there with a Chesire cat grin on his face. Kind of seemed happy someone was getting mouthy with his dad.

For the record, I usually carry plenty of change with me. This was one of those times when I had a limited amount of small bills.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Can you kinda tell us how you really feel?Just joking.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by my grandmother to always bring a variety of bills and quarters to garage sales. Not only is it polite but why miss out on something if they don't have proper change?
You literally argued with a guy at his own house when you were trying to buy his items.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by my grandmother to always bring a variety of bills and quarters to garage sales. Not only is it polite but why miss out on something if they don't have proper change?
You literally argued with a guy at his own house when you were trying to buy his items.
Your grandmother sounds like a lovely lady. I admire her old school charm. Sounds like you're lucky to have her. Mine taught me that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Something I always adhere to until I feel disrespected. I've already stated that I usually have plenty of change with me, this day was an exception to the norm. I know how it works out there.

As for arguing with the guy...

What's your point? You weren't there. Guy had an attitude as soon as I asked if he had change for a $20 for my $10 purchase.

Personally, I didn't think it was an unreasonable question.

I'm not gonna be talked down to by some guy who obviously doesn't have common sense enough to think that, hum, maybe, just maybe, I ought to go to the store and get a little change since I'm having a yard sale today and all.

At that point, all bets were already off. I don't care who's yard I'm in.

The older I get, the less patience I have for humanities fools.

You have the right to disagree.

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
I sell via craiglist and stuff a bit, and always price items in increments of $20 as that is what ATM's dispense - if someone offered me $50, I'd pretty much counter $60 as that is what the ATM gave them, right? Just one tactic, they could offer $40 saying that is what the ATM gave them, it works both ways....

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda reminds me of the guy that beats me up on an 8 dollar item...relentless...then pulls out a wad that would choke a donkey...lol

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
You know why things have gotten this way, because it is legally enforced that you can not hand out common sense whoopins. Ignorant trolls have become such a social norm. Go back 40 years and crack the same fella in mouth for popin off and deliver a few more for good measure.

But it all started with those parents who did not hit, then over time developed into acting like a victim when these sort screw up.

Ignorance needs to be taxed greatly, they should be made to register and inform their neighbors that they are blithering tards, back of the bus, separate parking lots, segregated public stores with limited supplies and variety, no access to natural resources like fishing or hunting, swim rings enforced around their necks in public swimming areas so that life guards can protect the productive members of society, no computers or other networking devices other than a single land line per house hold with a cord.

Their foot print has grown, and it has not helped anyone.

Maybe its just me but I already thought it was getting really bad when weights for cardio started getting rubber coated. Like really you tard, its a weight, do not hit your self, others or anything

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a guy hold a rifle for me while I ran home for roll change once. :laughing7:
Nice of him to do.

I keep a mix squirreled in one pocket for just such an event as no change.
Actually I have multiple pockets occupied for varied scenario's....
Have found other items to add (at a discount too) to burn the balance, as the seller has an interest in a sale at that point.

I don't make an offer and whip out a big bill to pay for a couple dollars. That's just harsh. Doable yes, but feels off to me.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know why things have gotten this way, because it is legally enforced that you can not hand out common sense whoopins. Ignorant trolls have become such a social norm. Go back 40 years and crack the same fella in mouth for popin off and deliver a few more for good measure.

But it all started with those parents who did not hit, then over time developed into acting like a victim when these sort screw up.

Ignorance needs to be taxed greatly, they should be made to register and inform their neighbors that they are blithering tards, back of the bus, separate parking lots, segregated public stores with limited supplies and variety, no access to natural resources like fishing or hunting, swim rings enforced around their necks in public swimming areas so that life guards can protect the productive members of society, no computers or other networking devices other than a single land line per house hold with a cord.

Their foot print has grown, and it has not helped anyone.

Maybe its just me but I already thought it was getting really bad when weights for cardio started getting rubber coated. Like really you tard, its a weight, do not hit your self, others or anything
At least somebody gets it.

I had a guy hold a rifle for me while I ran home for roll change once. :laughing7:
Nice of him to do.

I keep a mix squirreled in one pocket for just such an event as no change.
Actually I have multiple pockets occupied for varied scenario's....
Have found other items to add (at a discount too) to burn the balance, as the seller has an interest in a sale at that point.

I don't make an offer and whip out a big bill to pay for a couple dollars. That's just harsh. Doable yes, but feels off to me.
Who said anything about whipping out big bills? I pulled out a $20 for a $10 purchase, his price no mine.

Kinda reminds me of the guy that beats me up on an 8 dollar item...relentless...then pulls out a wad that would choke a donkey...lol
I was paying his asking price and pulled out a $20.
How do I "remind you of the guy that beats you up for an $8 item then whips out a wad that would choke a donkey"? Explain please.

note- I highly edited this reply after reading it and yours again, just in case I read your reply wrong.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Who said anything about whipping out big bills? I pulled out a $20 for a $10 purchase, his price no mine.

How do I "remind you of the guy that beats you up for an $8 item then whips out a wad that would choke a donkey"? Explain please.

note- I highly edited this reply after reading it and yours again, just in case I read your reply wrong.

[Who said anything about whipping out big bills? I pulled out a $20 for a $10 purchase, his price no mine.]

A 20 is bigger than a 10.
A fifty a twenty.
A five a one.
Well ,you know.

Listened to a guy gripe about price and the buyer tell him he should bring money to shop.
When the guy griped again ,the seller offered him to come near and get punched in the mouth. No,sale there either....

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IF you really wanted those knives u would have went to the store on the corner ....

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very glad you re-worded things..you did read it wrong.bcoz I was a thousand miles away from your situation...but do I apologize if that may have came across that way, I can see how that would be easy to do...when I said "reminds me"...just that that popped into my pointy head...yard sales in general. I owned an ATV shop few yrs back...one of the wealthiest guys in town strolled in one day (shocker-he usually sent his lackey)..and proceeded to beat me down on a $24 air filter...geesh...really?...so i asked him "you have more money than I could burn in a month...y do u gotta beat me up on a $24 filter"?...He sez "How do u think I got that way!?"....Hmmm....Nobody here stirring s##t diggummup, I gots nuff problems...lol Ddf.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Listened to a guy gripe about price and the buyer tell him he should bring money to shop.
When the guy griped again ,the seller offered him to come near and get punched in the mouth. No,sale there either....

How does this even remotely apply to the above situation; ole boy went to a garage sale, place known for price negotiations but he offered to pay the asking price no questions asked, fast exchange and nothing more. The seller got rude with the customer so in turn the customer treated the seller exactly how he wanted to be treated.

It really can not be libed up, treat people exactly how you want to be treated in return, bark at a customer for attempting to pay asking price and the customer barks back, this does not make the seller a victim.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IF you really wanted those knives u would have went to the store on the corner ....

This is not about the product, far from it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How does this even remotely apply to the above situation; ole boy went to a garage sale, place known for price negotiations but he offered to pay the asking price no questions asked, fast exchange and nothing more. The seller got rude with the customer so in turn the customer treated the seller exactly how he wanted to be treated.

It really can not be libed up, treat people exactly how you want to be treated in return, bark at a customer for attempting to pay asking price and the customer barks back, this does not make the seller a victim.

Seriously O.J. ,the price was ten bucks.
Ya, I made sure I had plenty of change when hosting a sale. In this case the seller did not.

Not saying I never accidentally ran over a sale sign when leaving ,or mailed one into a ditch : but it was not over if the seller had change.
Seems odd to us ,but we don't know the sellers reason. Could have been he was doin the grunt work for the ol lady for all I know.

I'll bring proper cash this week when looking at buying another tractor. And the full amount being asked will not be in one pocket ,but whatever price is decided won't need change. Why leave that awkward possibility hanging out , even if I would like to place the burden on the seller?

Go prepared ,or expect to come up short eventually. Dealing with strangers can get strange. Why be surprised at that is beyond me.

Last edited:

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom line is a clear one. It was his garage sale, so he should have had change ready. Just like going to Walmart. How silly would it for Walmart not to have change for their shoppers?

This funny story happened to me a few months back. I see a garage sale and I quickly drive to it. The guy had several tables inside of his garage with jewelry and other things. I greet him and walk straight to the jewelry area, he proceeds to tell me that he is going to move his car and come back. I'm the only one there, and when he comes back, he puts his hand in my sweater's pocket, like looking for stolen goods/jewelry. This really gets me fired up, but I maintain my cool and respectful manner, but still question his action. He tells me that he was robbed the day prior by a lady. I tell him that he shouldn't assume that everyone is a thief. When I finally finished going through his junk, I exclaimed in a raised voice that I was about to leave, but that I was going to bend over and spread them, and cough, for him to be certain that I was not taking anything! :-) He ended up apologizing for what he did. Kind of ruined my day, until I scored, and I quickly forgot about it. :-)

Artslinger

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously O.J. ,the price was ten bucks.
Ya, I made sure I had plenty of change when hosting a sale. In this case the seller did not.

Its not even about the price or product; the seller acts as if buyers should have the correct amount of money and barks at the buyer over. Likely his poor reaction towards the customer out of embarrassment due to his own negligence. or the seller is truly fullontard and actually thinks customers should physically know his prices before even arriving to sale, before even knowing if or what they will purchase.

Seller screwed up from the get go, and instead of owning he took the other route and acted like it was the buyers fault.

I remember another very poor well know reaction that Mac Donalds pulled way back in the day. Customer got an egg mc muffin with a condom on it; they treated the customer like it was her fault, customer called the police, they still acted like it was her own fault. Got turned into a criminal investigation, lots of money was wasted to find out who put that on there, even in the court room mac donalds lawyer still acted like it was her fault, they paid millions for that and would have gotten away with paying less had they not insisted that it is the customers fault.

some folks make mistakes and own it, some do not own up to it, others just should not have any dealings with the public at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread