What's new

Just a rock?

darthoblio

Full Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
114
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
I found this piece not far from where the knapping tool was found. It could be just a naturally formed rock. Then again, it'd be perfect for scraping something like a rabbit hide, and the little awl would be for punching holes. What do the experts say?

P4250064.webp P4250059.webp
 
Upvote 0
I does have the general form of an end or thumb scraper, with a graver spur. if it were found on a known site, it could have been used and discarded without being resharpened. Nothing jumps out at me saying definite artifact though, possible though.

Joel
 
Yeah that would be just a guess for me either way. The type of stone is a tough call.
 
I believe it's just a rock. It's not perfect for scraping rabbit hides as they're paper thin and this jagged of a scraper would rip them up. Awls looked like...awls. I saw your other find from this same area so this might be a piece of shatter or reduction flake from a work shop area. This piece looks very similar to Oglalla quartz. The freeze and thaw cycle of the weather causes this material to flake off and look like artifacts. Look for pieces of this material you have that are very shiny. That means they have been heat treated by man for the purpose of making it easier to flake out tools. Sorry the experts haven't responded yet, so I'll give you what ideas I have.
 
I'm with quito. Could be, but context matters here.

Out of curiosity, are you in eastern PA? That looks like carbon co chert.
 
I was in southern California when I found that piece. I was thinking it might have been a one-off, used and then discarded. The edge opposite the point is actually quite sharp though not very smooth.
 
Looks like a natural?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom